Fifty shades of Grey (or maybe black)

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Fifty shades of Grey (or maybe black)

Post by Jonco »

No - not more silly novels but a question on centre console painting.

I am trying to find an aerosol paint to restore my centre console to original internal specification which was the '98 `Black' version. The top lacquer is coming off in parts so it needs a complete rub-down, bar coating and respray.

I have contacted the dealer who says there are no codes for internal paint. A few enquiries to paint suppliers have so far drawn a blank. Have tried a Halfords black but it's far too shiny. Starting to think it may need a matt black with a clear lacquer top coat.

Has anybody else been down this route and found the right shade/finish?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Fifty shades of Grey (or maybe black)

Post by Robert T »

I don't think the console is finished with conventional paint - it seems to be some kind of rubberised coating - you might want to take a look at things like plasti-dip and see if they provide a better match.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Robert T wrote:I don't think the console is finished with conventional paint - it seems to be some kind of rubberised coating - you might want to take a look at things like plasti-dip and see if they provide a better match.

Cheers R.
Thanks - Agree on coating - have read on a few sites that's why you need the barcoat application to stop conventional paints from crinkling.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Have a look at a product brand name - Rustoleum - Get a can of "Satin Black"...this isn't glossy, or matt...It'll work well on the hard flat sections of the center console...for the "softer" parts, which almost seem to be a sort of vynil type stuff, I would suggest you take them to an auto trimmer, and ask him to re-coat them with a "satin black" finish...they should know exactly what to do. They frequently use a spray type paint to re surface leather when doing repairs, and if the guy is worth his title as an autotrimmer, he will be able to do a first class job of it. Might cost a few £'s, but it should result in a very professional finish which is consistent throughout.
The same method of restoration can be applied to the same areas on the doorcards where, as on the armrest the panel is coated in the same vynil type stuff.
As an indication, I used to have a beige dashboard in my car...instead of replacing it with a black one when I revamped my interior to red / black, I stripped the components off the dash which were to be red extended leather upholstered, and took the rest of the dash to an auto body shop...they prepped the beige plastic, and then sprayed the entire thing in a satin black and then coated it with a satin clearcoat. The finish is exquisite, hard and saved me a heap buying a complete 2nd hand dash + shipping, duty and VAT.

My original interior with beige dash..

My revamped interior with the same dash painted black...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Thanks Barry,

Will have a look at that one.

Cheers

Colin
BIG DAVE

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by BIG DAVE »

I want your steering wheels, have been looking for one the same as you both have. as my z has a silver trim on doors would compliment my interior, been on ebay but still have not found one no rush as the zed is now away for winter
big D
BigD
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

Barry,

Where did you get the cushion
I have been looking for one the same as you have. I too have been on eBay but still have not found one. :joker:
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

That's a Z4 steering wheel which I converted to fit the Z3 hub etc... :wink:
...and the cushion...that's a small low tech mod which makes getting in and out so much easier as it slips nicely around when turning in or out...also, Because I have a pretty much skeletal arse, It preserves the flat integrity of my leather seat... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions