Z3 REAR WINDOW PROTECTION

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 REAR WINDOW PROTECTION

Post by Southernboy »

For anyone looking for an economical and practical solution to protecting the rear plastic window fold when putting the soft top down....
Sports auto shops sell foam sections which are used for clipping onto roll cage bars as used by rally / race drivers in their cars. These come in varying lengths, but are aprox 80mm diameter, and will adopt the lateral curve of the rear window when placed and the roof lowered. They are by design extremely light-weight (race drivers have an aversion to weight) and will easily store in the boot or in the roof well behind the seats. I have been using one for the past 9 months, and can vouch for their "non scratch" properties on the plastic window. It is impervious to water, and can be wiped down with a damp cloth or tossed into a bath of water for cleaning when needed. And for the colour coded types...it is available in black too... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Re: Z3 REAR WINDOW PROTECTION

Post by Badman gee »

Been using them for a year or so!

The 'BEAST' 666
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....might have thought you would be up to it if anyone else was.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

This sounds interesting, can anyone give me link to a site where I can see what you are talking about? Can anyone provide a supplier in UK (or what do I search for on eBay?) Also how do you keep them in place as you lower the roof?
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I simply start the opening process, get out the car, put it into the fold, get back in and complete the lowering of the roof...it then stays there until I close the roof...at which point it is deposite onto the boot top...I get out the car and toss it into the boot....et voila...
"Normal is overrated"

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I use a length of foam pipe insulation. £1.03 from B&Q:

http://www.diy.com/search/pipe%20insula ... 1m-9273771
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I use a folded towel at the moment but the insulation pipe looks like a great idea.
It's compact and saves folding the towel every time :D
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I use the pipe insulation for the rear screen and a towel placed over the rear of the soft top to prevent wear marks from the frames!

Cheers,

Bonzo
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Bi11

M roadster S54

Post by Bi11 »

Saw a you tube video where someone used 4 large magnets to hold a blanket in place and then put the roof down. Thought that was quite a good idea, but haven't got around to trying it yet.