Plasti Dip

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Plasti Dip

Post by David »

Hi guys, I'm thinking of Plasti Dipping little bits on my car.

The initial plan was just to colour-code my door handles, but then I realised it would be an extremely cheap (and reversible) way of seeing if I like the look of a matte black windscreen surround. Although, I worry that I'm going to end up becoming addicted to doing this as it looks so easy - and if you stuff up... you just peel it off!

Does anybody have any experience with Plasti Dip? Good or Bad?
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
Boysie

M roadster S50

Re: Plasti Dip

Post by Boysie »

I have often thought about using that stuff on other items
Not the ///M though
Are you spraying or dipping
I'll be interested in the outcome and the process
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

A previous member M@r]{ had some success with this a while back! see link below.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 00#p329800

HTH
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

This is VERY interesting. :) I had never heard of Plasti Dip before. There seems to be videos in Youtube of people even spray painting their whole cars with this stuff! :shock:

I'd be very interested to see comments and close-up photos of the results, if you decide to give it a go.
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

Brian H wrote:A previous member M@r]{ had some success with this a while back! see link below.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 00#p329800

HTH
Looks like they had the same idea as me with the surround, but I never thought of the bumper idea.... it looks amazing!!

Boysie wrote: Are you spraying or dipping
I'll be interested in the outcome and the process
To start with I will just be buying a couple of cans of the pre-mixed aerosol cans from eBay, and see how that goes.
janijoeli wrote:This is VERY interesting. :) I had never heard of Plasti Dip before. There seems to be videos in Youtube of people even spray painting their whole cars with this stuff! :shock:

I'd be very interested to see comments and close-up photos of the results, if you decide to give it a go.
There's loads of videos from DipMyCar.com on YouTube, but the one that caught eye was a metallic silver finish, which I'm thinking of applying to my centre console. I think the rubbery feel would be quite cool.

Also, I'm obsessed with the idea of whitewall tyres, but I'm aware of the damage to the tyres that those inserts can cause. So I was thinking of spraying a 'fake whitewall' onto the edge of the rims of my alloys, once they have been refurbished. This would also add a protective layer to them.

Yes it's a crazy idea, but somebody has to have them! ...and again, if it looks :? I can just peel it off!!
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I 'attempted' to plastidip my rear bumper just like the above with one of the spray cans. It went on well and covered the areas I wanted easily and gives a sort of textured finish. Anyway from the videos I saw I thought I would cover the area I wanted (bottom of bumper up to the crease) plus a bit more and then just peel off upto where the crease / line is. Because of the crease I thought it would split around this and leave a neat line but I just ended up pulling to much off and going past the crease line. I think if I tried it again I would mask around where I wanted the plastidip to finish and make sure the plastidip splits properly leaving a neat edge.

It seems pretty good stuff and the fact it can just be peeled off very easily but I wouldn't like to comment on the durability. If you rub your finger over it lightly it seemed to peel pretty easy so it would maybe be hard to clean or wipe over when needed. I've heard some very good but also lots of very bad reviews on the stuff and its not cheap at around £17 a can :shock:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Suzi4D

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Suzi4D »

I have put Plasti dip Tattoo's on my taillights, I have added eyebrows on my headlights and I have added plasti dip stone guards .... love the stuff.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I've never heard of it. Do you lacquer it afterwards? Maybe that would help to stop it peeling quite so easily. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Fantastic idea for stone guards, this would ensure that no dirt gets behind them. How thick is the product? Can you layer it up?
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

I've thought of doing the windscreen surround with plastidip also.

My only question is, since you can peel it off how will it be effected by repeated washing?