EUREKA !!!

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

EUREKA !!!

Post by Southernboy »

Some seriously exciting news on the "Bolster Protection Issue" (BPI).... :D

I have discovered a company which has / manufactures a leather specific product which provides for the "temporary fixing, removable,replaceable, repositionable application" of leather to leather without any reaction to the substrates (leather).
This means that it will be possible to make a "removable leather patch / cover which can be applied over the bolster in the generally affected area" using any colour matching leather as the seats current upholstery. It can be pulled off and replaced for cleaning etc....
I have requested a "sample" from them, and will apply it to my car seat with the intent of conducting a minimum 6 month "test". If it is satisfactory and does everything I anticipate without any negative "side effects"...I will look forward to resolving the BPI for any make of car that has a bolster and leather upholstery...!!!
Patent pending...... :D
......... and become an eBay millionaire..... :sunny
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: EUREKA !!!

Post by seasurfer »

Great idea - will watch this space :D
[/url]
ImageImageImage
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

Funny you should say that Barry, I had exactly the same idea and have just submitted a patent, coincidentally right afte reading your post. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... good luck with your submission David.....I guess you will have also found the one and only supplier of the leather specific temporary adhesive in the USA too........ or was it Australia..no maybe China...or was it a lot closer to home...the UK or Ireland....heh heh heh......
Oddly, finding it didn't come up with any of the keywords as in Leather / adhesive / temporary....when I did a search....I was actually looking for extruded T section PVC....just happened to see an interesting company name which I had never heard of before, and decided to have a look see what they did....and there it was, hidden in plain sight as the saying goes.... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

For those who may be interested.....here's an update/

The supplier of the "special" adhesive has shipped a sample to me yesterday. I'm hoping to have it here in a week or two.
Also, I had a meeting with Porsche S.A. this morning to introduce the concept to them. They are excited by the idea, and pending the outcome of the 6 month test on my car, have agreed in principle to purchasing them from me as a "courtesy" item for all Porsches brought in for servicing. Obviously if the car owner wants to remove it, it will be a simple "peel off". They currently charge £. 65.00 to do a bolster "repair". This basically constitutes having a leather repair guy come in who uses the sort of leather repair kit found on eBay etc etc... however, even once repaired in that manner, the bolster is still as susceptible to damage, and perhaps even more since the repair only does a "cosmetic" cover-up vs providing any real protection.
So encouraging interest from one major motor supplier. :bounce:
"Normal is overrated"

David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

Barry, can I be the first to congratulate you on your successful meeting, and also be the first to ask if I can be your UK representative? :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I'd be happy to send you a sample for testing under UK conditions...especially the colder / damper conditions. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

You'd have to send me your seats first for the test to be relevant :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...nice try mate....you'll have to use your own seat bolster to test on... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"