EUREKA!

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

EUREKA!

Post by Southernboy »

After some while of testing various levels of adhesive materials for the seat bolster protector, I am happy to say that the optimum product has now been found. This means that I can take the next step which will be to have a rotary die made which will be able to cut out the desired shape with the adhesive already stuck to the bolster protector patch.
The successful test of the patch is a happy moment for me. There were moments when I began to doubt I would be able to achieve the correct level of adhesion without resorting to asking the supplier to conduct research / development.
I have had a patch stuck to my seat for the past 6 weeks, and have been able to remove it and replace it 24 times. I figure 24 is a good test, since that would mean that anyone using the product can be confident of removing and re-using the patch twice per month after a car clean over a period of 12 months. It doesn't budge when brushed against when entering and leaving the car, yet it is easy to lift off to clean the seat and replace after.

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Althulas

M roadster S50

Re: EUREKA!

Post by Althulas »

Good result I'm pleased for you that your simple idea is coming along, but just one thing I want to add for you to consider Barry. The wear I had on my bolsters covered the area where the stitching is so maybe a test taking into account that area just to cover all your bases.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: EUREKA!

Post by Southernboy »

Good point...if that's an area where you find you are catching the bolster, then simply move the patch across to cover the affected area... :wink:
The final size of the patch will be aprox 20mm wider and aprox 12mm longer, so it will provide coverage to both areas...also there is no law to govern which orientation you apply it in...whatever you feel is suitable for your application...ie. you could turn the patch "horizontally" or at an angle etc etc...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions