Textured sill coating

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Textured sill coating

Post by fish »

Have my sills off and some of the knobbly textured stuff has had to come off near the front of the sill.

Have been having a a good hunt around for something that either sticks on (a tape or something) or some paint that I can spray on etc.

Has anyone had any success with any products?

Else I guess I can apply some "wet" filler and press something into it to get the same knobbly/textured effect etc...its not a massive area I need to paint.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Textured sill coating

Post by Southernboy »

Easy solution...if you contact an MG car restoration or MG spares shop, they carry a type of paint which is used on the MG dash facia...You paint it on and it has a natural texture as it dries...And it's pretty tough stuff too...only comes in black though...as far as I know... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Is it the sill itself or the floorpan at the front? if the floor pan then this is good stuff,

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-rust- ... -425g.html

If its the sill then clean it up and use a good rust preventative paint, Frost do loads of different ones then paint over with titanium silver. As its low down I doubt you would notice the textured coating to be honest.

Barrys idea is a good one but just need to ensure its durable enough as its intended for interior use.

This is the reason why I fitted front mudflaps to minimise chipping of the sills.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

its called stone guard coating available from most car accessory shops in aerosol form black or grey
fish

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by fish »

TitanTim wrote:Is it the sill itself or the floorpan at the front? if the floor pan then this is good stuff,

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-rust- ... -425g.html

If its the sill then clean it up and use a good rust preventative paint, Frost do loads of different ones then paint over with titanium silver. As its low down I doubt you would notice the textured coating to be honest.

Barrys idea is a good one but just need to ensure its durable enough as its intended for interior use.

This is the reason why I fitted front mudflaps to minimise chipping of the sills.

Tim.
Tim, hi its the external outer sill…..
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

beerbelly wrote:its called stone guard coating available from most car accessory shops in aerosol form black or grey
:wink: :) you paint over it the correct colour