Carpet dye

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Carpet dye

Post by Dino D »

Anyone ever dyed their carpets (whilst in the car)?

I'm going to recolouring my black seats with Gliptone and will try the vinyl on he dash too then got me thinking the carpet could do with a colour refresh (it's black but looks grey compared with new black floor mats).
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Carpet dye

Post by Southernboy »

You'll be surprised what a decent carpet cleaner will do for them...they'll come up black again... They are made from a synthetic fibre, so the colour shouldn't fade at all...give it a go before you do any dye application to them... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

I think my carpets might have been charcoal and not black. The car originally had a tan interior so maybe the carpets were lighter. The prefacelift car I pulled the seats out of seemed to have had darker carpets but it was winter then now I'm looking at my car in sunlight it just looks grey.

Will check that site you linked me with all the interior details and see if there were different black carpets.
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

You might find they are Anthracite black which I have in mine. I did buy a new set from Rossiters but when I eventually checked them a year later they are black :head: I'll get round to selling them at some point.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Althulas wrote:You might find they are Anthracite black which I have in mine. I did buy a new set from Rossiters but when I eventually checked them a year later they are black :head: I'll get round to selling them at some point.
Do you maybe mean the floor mats?
I'm talking about the actual carpets fitted to the car covering the floor and transmission tunnel and behind the seats.
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Both the carpet and mats in mine are anthracite which is a grey/black.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
metalmickey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by metalmickey »

Dino
If you mean the fitted floor carpet then don't do it. The carpet fibre is nylon polyamide and will not dye.
You could end up with a mess and a ruined carpet which will be very expensive to replace.
MM
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Thanks for the heads up!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you want a black fitted floor carpet, contact the breakers...I managed to get one from Alexanders of Sommerset a couple of years back in 100% condition - just needed a good clean, which was done prior to fitting - I paid £60.00 for it... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

That's a low cost option but labour heavy getting the front section out. I have the car sat without seats already but at this rate I'll have the whole car in bits with 'might as well do that extra job' while I have this out approach.
Sun has decided to appear here which is nice so I can work on the car but also means no driving it!!
Think I'll need to be less ambitious with how much I want to get done per sunny season until I get a warm garage (well one that is free of stuff you accumulate with a young family!)