Style 78 with spacers pics

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Anyone running Style 78s on a lowered Z with spacers.
I'm thinking of approx 20mm at the rear and 10-15mm on the fronts with appropriate bolts (hub centric of course).

Currently looks too sunk in at the back. May raise the rear a touch (depending on what that will do for handling)

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Style 78 with spacers pics

Post by Brian H »

15mm Rear Spacer, not sure I would risk a 20mm.

Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Thanks Brian. Pretty rare colour you have there don't think I've seen one on the road.

Do you have any more from different angles and from the rear, just want to see how it fills out.
Mine is lowered so the tops of the wheels already sit a fair bit inside the arch. Hi have no rubbing with my other 9,5j rims which fill the arch fully.

Do you get any rubbing on yours as it is?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I have a few photos before it was lowered, I'll try and get some for you tomorrow. I do not get any rubbing at all with the 15mm spacer. If you measure the distance between the tyre and the rear wing you should be able to see which spacer you can get away with.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I have 5mm spacers on the front of mine and 15mm on the rear and it sits pretty perfect on them. Car is lowered 30mm all round on eibachs. I don't get any rubbing either.

Fronts

Rears

Side on

2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Forgot to get pics today :head:. g8jka, my rears do not sit a flush as yours with 15mm spacers on, makes me wonder if I do have 15mm on the car?
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Those do sit nicely.
Do you use the spacers with your other bigger wheels too?
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I use the 5mm ones on the rears when I have my summer wheels fitted. I have looked at squeezing some 8mm ones on the rears but they sit pretty nice with the 5mm ones. I would mind some coilovers so I could go a little lower.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

What width and offset are you summer wheels? My Beyern Multis are 9,5j (can't remember offset) and sit pretty flush but I reckon a 5mm spacer is worth a try as with the ride height as it is the tops are pushed ended the arch.
Too much time looking at the US cars in the internet gives me all sorts of OCD about details now!
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Which brand of spacers and bolts are you guys using?
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

They are 8J front and 9J rears with an offset of 35 all round. They do sit pretty flush especially at the front but I just wanted to push the rears out a little more. With the 5mm spacer or effectively makes the offset on the rear more around the 30 mark which on a 9J wheel is about the most you can get away with unless you start stretching tyres.

My rear spacers are eibach although I am not sure what the fronts are just some cheaper universal things and the bolts I haven't got a clue. I nicked them all off gookah :-)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

g8jka wrote: and the bolts I haven't got a clue. I nicked them all off gookah :-)

that's why my wheels fell off.... :head:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

is there enough meat on the hub spigots when using 5mm spacers ie. are they still hubcentric?
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

gookah wrote:
g8jka wrote: and the bolts I haven't got a clue. I nicked them all off gookah :-)

that's why my wheels fell off.... :head:
You can't really call them things you have on yours at the moment wheels :shock:

Mugs wrote:is there enough meat on the hub spigots when using 5mm spacers ie. are they still hubcentric?
There is only a slight lip on the spigot that still protrudes through the spacer and the ones I have are just universal ones, not hubcentric as far as I know. I have never had any problems using them with either set of wheels or on the front or rear axle.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I believe the spigots protrude 10mm, so there will still be a 5mm protrusion into the wheel.

The spigot really only serves as a centralising aid, as the bolts take the stress.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..