Headlight Restoration?

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Headlight Restoration?

Post by TWO »

I've noticed a slight haze over the headlight lenses and have used the usual polishing compounds without much improvement. :head:

Has anyone tried this product with any success, or do you have any other recommendations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTgtqNh6Rsk

Cheers
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Headlight Restoration?

Post by g8jka »

Not tried that kit but like you I have some hazing on my headlights and have tried a few polishes and compounds which seem to do the trick, but eventually the hazing comes back. The problem with mine is the insides of the lenses are quite hazed and look as if then have very fine cracks in them on close inspection. You can wet sand them through a couple of grades and then polish them up after and they will look pretty good, although the hazing seems to reappear (possibly due to the UV layers been removed). The best way is to use a DA or rotary polisher as it will take ages to polish by hand.

I found a cheap set of brand new headlights a month or so ago, only problem being is they are LHD units but at the price I paid it didn't matter as I only want them for the front lenses and they are the same whether they are RHD or LHD. I will swap these over when I install a new set of angel eyes as one side has given up. I had a new set of halos today but managed to break one before installing them so I'm after another set :head:

The only way to do it is to polish them up every few months or buy a brand new set of after market ones or standard ones which are about £475 each :shock:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Cerium Oxide...available from eBay....but read up on the use of this product. It's used for polishing glass...ie, if you want a bevel on glass, or to remove scratches etc in glass, this is the stuff which is used by the professional glass producers. There are various grades of this, and a quick google on the subject will provide all the applicatio info you require. Or, search under "The Beauty Parlour" - "GLASS POLISH" and you will find some detail from previous posts on the subject. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I've used the 3M headlight restoration kit and it worked extremely well. It's amazing how much 'newer' the car looks with crystal-clear headlights.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I used clear protective film as soon as I bought new headlights. After few years the headlights are still as new. Highly recommend.
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

For polishing, apparently even toothpaste (with micro-particles/granules/whatever marketing name) will do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKAshYmrExc

After polishing, it'd be good to protect the plastic so that it doesn't oxidize again - most headlight renovation kits include the protective stuff. If you don't get one of the kits, apparently this stuff works really well and will last a very long time:
http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/ex ... -restorer/

Found the above tip about C4 from here:
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=252629

DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried the above myself...
Mac The Tank

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mac The Tank »

+1 to the 3M kit here too. Used it on my "other" car and its 100% better than before. Came with a drill attachment too, which helped i'm sure. :)
Mac
Topaz Blue 2.2i Y2001 - only 16045 miles on the clock! (2011)
Update 04/14 - 18,702 miles
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

White Colgate & Elbow Grease