Badge sizes...Help !

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Matt_McT

Z3 roadster 2.8

Badge sizes...Help !

Post by Matt_McT »

Hi all, I have done a number of things to my car and now only have a couple left that I want to do. One of them is change all the badges for black carbon look ones. The only problem is I don't know the specific sizes, would anyone be able to tell me the badge sizes for the Zed please ?

Thanks a lot, Matt
TWO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Badge sizes...Help !

Post by TWO »

Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Or try a tape measure? :D
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

These were the sizes on my 1997 2.8:-
Bonnet 82mm
Side gills 78mm (Remove the side gills for easier emblem removal by pushing from the back, its worth the effort as I scratched the paintwork on one of mine that i didnt remove :head: )
Boot 78mm
Steering wheel 45mm (sticks over the original, I made the mistake of pulling my original off which has 3 metal lugs on it, i was lucky i didnt ruin the wheel)
Wheels 68mm

I urge you to buy some new grommets for the bonnet
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171261953175? ... 1439.l2649

and I strongly recommend you email the ebay seller "japan_lighting" and tell him what badge sizes you want (I did), he'll do you a paypal invoice for the custom order.
He appears to be the only one on fleabay that sells OEM quality wheel centre caps that fit lovely and snug and also the 78mm badges at the time of writing
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

This type of wheel cap is crap, i bought these initially and they're so loose they just fall out...AVOID!

Remove existing emblems like this

I found that the pins on the 78mm badges (for side Gills and boot) needed a bit of a tickle with a dremmel as they were too large for the holes.

*EDIT*
(8/7/2014)

I previously used 3M heavy duty double sided tape and my boot emblem fell off! luckily whilst it was parked in the garage.......
I have since purchased some Unibond No Nails double sided tape, cut into thin rectangles to stick on the perimeter of the back of the badges
There are two flavours of the tape, Permanent (Red Colour) and Yellow (Removable).
Ive attached the side gill emblems with the permanent red tape and can confidently say they aint coming off! unless I use 'crow bar force'.....this actually concerns me if i use the same tape on the paint work for the boot and bonnet.
If i ever need to remove them from these locations Ive got a feeling it will lift the paint too.
I havent re-fixed the bonnet and boot badges yet but i'll be using the yellow "removable" tape/pads for those. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by sirius-c on Tue 08 Jul, 2014 14:17, edited 17 times in total.
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Those from Japan seem to be the bussiness... I like them.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

I un-clipped the plastic top surrounds on the wheel caps and sprayed them matt black :)
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

sirius-c wrote:These were the sizes on my 1997 2.8:-
Bonnet 82mm
Boot 78mm
Interesting, My '///M' bonnet badge is 82mm and my boot badge is 89mm.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage