Best interior cleaning Aids

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Best interior cleaning Aids

Post by eddie1 »

Hi, whats the best cleaning stuff for the interiors, plastic, vinyl and leather. I've always rated Autoglym, altho' the body polish is a little dusty. Armour all is pretty good, the matt finish is ok. Does anyone know any better products! New to the Zroadster site, ex Alpha fanatic. In the process of owning a M roadster off Bro' in law! Want something to clean and bring the best out of the plastic and leather and vinyl!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Best interior cleaning Aids

Post by Southernboy »

.... elbow grease mate.... lots of it !
Autoglym leather cleaner is really good for cleaning... E45 cream afterwards to soften and condition.
A decent brush - non abrasive - and dishwash liquid soap for the vinyl bits...then E45 cream.
A good vacuum and carpet cleaning foam... best to remove the seats first and have all the room you need to do it (remember no key in the ignition, and disconnect the battery before disconnecting seat connectors !! - NO E45 CREAM REQUIRED THERE !... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

E45 that's a new one on me! certainly try it!
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

Southernboy wrote:.... elbow grease mate.... lots of it !
Autoglym leather cleaner is really good for cleaning... E45 cream afterwards to soften and condition.
A decent brush - non abrasive - and dishwash liquid soap for the vinyl bits...then E45 cream.
A good vacuum and carpet cleaning foam... best to remove the seats first and have all the room you need to do it (remember no key in the ignition, and disconnect the battery before disconnecting seat connectors !! - NO E45 CREAM REQUIRED THERE !... :D

i'll second the above and also add...... coat the dash, door panels, plastics etc with autoglym bumper gel then buff off to give a great finish. :wink:
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Apart from E45 which really does work a treat, just nick some of your other half's Mr Sheen or Pledge. Does exactly the same job as the stuff specifically made for cars but at 1/4 the price :wink:
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

E45 it is then! .... thanks guys.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...... also good for your hands... :wink:
Just apply with your hands and work it into the leather.... leave for a half hour and wipe down with soft clean cloth for a really neat non-shiny finish...
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Just my 2c

Autogylm Viny & Rubber care....great for the roll hoops & dash
Einszett Gummi Pflege for rubber seals

Southernboy wrote: A decent brush - non abrasive - and dishwash liquid soap for the vinyl bits...then E45 cream.
:shock: might have to try E45 on the vinyl, does it leave a matt finish on vinyl too?
I quite like the matt effect after cleaning with washing up liquid but surely most Dash snake oils contain some form of UV protection unlike E45
Last edited by sirius-c on Fri 13 Jun, 2014 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Do you guys get UV in the UK... or RU all just being hopeful... :D
Seriously, what I don't like about the vynil / dash stuff is the glossy effect, but if you park uncovered, then it's probably wise to use a good sunblock like factor 3 cream... just not the green stuff.....:D
"Normal is overrated"

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I use cockpit shine stuff, but don't leave it to dry before buffing it off - it then leaves a matt finish. The one from Turtle Wax Platinum range has been about the best so far. It also works pretty well on any of the black plastic items on the outside of the car as well - number plate holder, door handles, mudflaps etc.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Southernboy wrote:Do you guys get UV in the UK... or RU all just being hopeful... :D

Over here in the UK we all suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) we have to drive around with therapy lights attached inside our cars, if we didnt we'd all be miserable bar-stewards at Christmas time!........Its part of the MOT you know.......So yeah we get UV :wink:

Designed or not designed, that is the question.