BMW Taninred (Code Q2TD)?

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

BMW Taninred (Code Q2TD)?

Post by sirius-c »

I'm looking to match up my violet door cards with my new Tannin red sports seats with a bit of the 'ol leather dye,
Im pretty certain the colour of the seats is BMW Taninred (Code Q2TD), but all I can seem to find on flea bay is BMW Montana Tanin Red...
There are no code references anywhere on any fleabay items for Q2TD

Does anyone know if these two colours are one and the same?

The red part of my seats is the Oregon type leather and according to http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3_interior.htm there are only two types of red and it is definitely not Dream Red.

What on earth is Montana anyway? a style of leather like Oregon?
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: BMW Taninred (Code Q2TD)?

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Montana is just the type of leather, so don't worry about that. There is a third red, which is Imola, but that's just in ///M cars, so unless the new seats are from an ///M you can discount that.

Why don't you look at a kit from furniture clinic, as they come with a spray gun and so on to get a good finish.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Contact the seller you bought the seats off...ask for the VIN number of the donor car, and then check ou the specs based on thatt VIN number...that will clear up any confusion.... then as suggested, get a sample of the red you want to futrniture clinic, and they will prep you some dye to match.... you can probably get a small sample from the Tanin leather from under the seat around the base... you only need a 2cm square swatch to send to them... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

As Barry says, the surest way is to send a sample, however remember that a piece of leather that has been hidden from the sun for the past 15 years or so may be slightly different to the colour of the rest of the seat.

Bladerunner is right, there are some great kits from furniture clinic that allow you to do a full refurb for around £50. I am going to get some of them myself for the seats I am restoring. In the meantime, I bought some Tanin Red dye from liquid leather/scuffmaster just for touch up purposes and it was a perfect match for my seats.

With regards a 100% match I would just say to consider the bigger picture. I am not sure how much work you are intending to carry out but be warned, refurbing is addictive. once you have done that little annoying scuff on the bolster you will without any doubt put some more dye on your sponge/brush/roller etc and do a little bit more and more and more until eventually you have done both seats, and door cards. Therefore, dont be too worried if it is not a full 100% match as you are likely to have everything the same colour anyway!!

Also, at this point you will start to notice the black on the centre console and door cards looks tatty compared to the seats you have just fully dyed - best to get a black dye at the same time :wink:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.......I'll second that...once you get started.... it's highly addictive... :D
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Thank you for the help guys....

Obtaining the VIN is not possible so I'll go with the sample sending option.

Your telling me its addictive!!
I've spent nearly 4k on my beloved Z3 in just short of 2 years, She's nearly complete now, I'm hoping I dont miss the sunshine this year, so I can finally enjoy it :)
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Gliptone LTD wrote:You will need to use Flexicote to change to red, we have 3 different Tanin
reds because BMW buy there leather from 3 different tanneries and they all
produce different shades, so we will need a sample or headrest sending to us
to copy , if a headrest, post by recorded post, regards Peter
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Anyone used " indianapolis red"...? or even know much about it...?
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Well what a bonus, it turns out that Gliptone Ltd is only about 10 miles away from where I live.
I'll be taking a seat to them in person :D
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Great result - for you and them. would be good to tell them to keep it on record so they can sell more of it - Tanin Red as a leather colour doesnt exist anymore so the only way to get it is to dye something similar (thats what I did with one of Master Southernboy's Armrests)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal