STEERING WHEEL RESTORATION.

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

STEERING WHEEL RESTORATION.

Post by Southernboy »

I've been looking at the options for restoring the leather on my steering wheel, and there are as many online products which purport to be "the best" etc etc... It's actually quite confusing after reading through a half dozen testimonials. These ranged from "Cleaning petrol" from Germany to a cleaning creme / conditioner which contradicts the idea of removing oil & grease.

Anyhow, I got to thinking about how the wheel got to be the way it is, and I can only conclude that the combination of "oils, grease and dirt" from one's hands is the culprit. With this in mind, I considered the possibility that a good dishwash soap - they are renowned for their grease cutting properties - and a toothbrush might be a suitable "cleaner / degreaser".
One thing I do know is that leather should never be "wetted"... this will do damage to the leather, and quite possibly to any adhesives used in the fixing process. So a dilution of 1:10 dishwash to water is what I used... together with the toothbrush and a drying cloth..
A small section at a time and dry off immediately and thoroughly with the cloth to soak up any excess moisture. Once I had completed 1/3 of the wheel, I used a hairdryer on "warm" (not hot)to blowdry the area I had cleaned, whilst using a clean cloth to mop up and wipe any moisture "sweating" out in the process. Once the entire wheel had been done, the leather was plumped up and soft again.... I decided not to apply any "conditioner" of any kind, but to leave it for a couple of days to thoroughly dry out any moisture still in the leather.
What to use as a conditioner... we have all heard of E45 cream... and it is undoubtedly a great product, but for this application, I want something far more subtle. So tomorrow, I'll be visiting the local womens' dept and asking for a product which is as near as dammit to pure lanolin.... Lanolin is the oily stuff most commonly found on sheep wool... it's what keeps them waterproof and the wool soft and flexible... Many womens' night creams" contain high percentages of this stuff.... it is extremely light and is readily absorbed into leather without being greasy... this is important because greasy will tend to flatten leather and make it sticky which will attract more dirt and in no time the wheel will return to it's very "used" look.
If any of you have driven your BH's car, you will have experienced the terrifying slickness of the steering wheel... - hand lotions etc are the cause. They are greasy to steering wheels, and over time are soaked into the wheel leather....
Anyhow, I have taken some "before" pics, and once I have completed the treatment, I will post them plus the "after" pics.... you can decide for yourself if it is worth the effort and investment in time etc.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
metalmickey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: STEERING WHEEL RESTORATION.

Post by metalmickey »

Having just had a Jack at Royal retrim I will be very interested to see the pics. I don't expect it to stay looking good for ever!
I am thinking that wearing driving gloves should prolong the original appearance.
MM :lol:
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

]I read somewhere (I thought it was here but cant find it) about a product that brought up steering wheels a treat (based on user experiences and reviews).
All I recall about this product is that it is a very fine scuff pad coated in some form of cleaning agent, its a general cleaner but I've read about many people using it for leather and vinyl with some great results, and if my ageing mind serves me correctly, the products Logo is of the top half of a man with his arms crossed.

anyhow I am looking to do my wheel and i watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJShIYoISO0 with interest and I'm extremely tempted to follow this procedure unless of course your method tops it Barry.

Looking forawrd to seeing the pics
Last edited by sirius-c on Thu 19 Jun, 2014 03:20, edited 3 times in total.
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Right here are the pics....
close ups of the steering wheel after I had removed it from the car... You can see the grain of the leather filled with years of gunk..

a close-up of an area that has been cleaned once... I opted for using an electric toothbrush.... the circular rotation seemed preferable...

the cloth I used to wipe away the soapy water / dirt as I went along....

the steering wheel after I went back around it twice more and wiping away the dirt each time...

the Lanolin rich creme I applied after leaving the wheel out in the sun for an hour to thoroughly dry...

the wheel ready to be re-installed.... note the "gloss" has gone from the leather, and only a semi matt colour remains.... I haven't added any colourant / dye etc to the process, so what you see is the original wheel (12 odd years) which has been given a thorough cleaning and some lanolin creme to replace any "oils" which may have been lost in the cleaning with dishwash liquid.
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Nipple cream eh?

Youve gotta love those womens departments!!

*EDIT*
Thats some pretty good results, congrats.
I think I'll try the Barry method 1st :thumb:

I wonder if "Nipple Cream" would be better than E45 for our leather seats?
E45 Contains Lanolin too, I'm guessing "Nipple" cream has a higher percentage of it.

Well, Ive just picked myself up off the floor after ROFLMAO seeing the Nipple pic (yes I'm so immature), turns out 'our lass' has heard of this stuff.....Its generally used for breast feeding mothers, Sometimes their nipples can become sore and crack
Last edited by sirius-c on Sun 15 Jun, 2014 12:50, edited 2 times in total.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

..... Yep... best source of Lanolin.... seems it prevents cracking / drying of nipples... can't be that bad for leather then... :D
I believe there is a 100% pure lanolin product available in some of the more "boutique" type baby stores... no additives etc... What is nice about it is it doesn't leave a glossy coat on the leather... I guess it's good for baby too... no slippery nipples.... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

I'm going to try this technique on the handbrake and gear knobs....

But I'll be using this cream for the men's department

I know, I know, I need to grow up :D

Top tip on using an electric toothbrush :bow
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Southernboy wrote:I believe there is a 100% pure lanolin product available in some of the more "boutique" type baby stores... no additives etc
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Now-Solutions ... 2c81b78776

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Now-Foods-Sol ... 4cff056f25

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/aut ... d-bad.html
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

........ yep...that's the stuff... Pure lanolin.. and that was a really quick photo shop job.... glad to see you removed the "for breastfeeding mothers" at the bottom... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Southernboy wrote:........ yep...that's the stuff... Pure lanolin.. and that was a really quick photo shop job.... glad to see you removed the "for breastfeeding mothers" at the bottom... :wink:
I know, Photoshop isnt my forte
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... I thought the results were as good as one could ask considering the age / wear etc on the steering wheel... particularly aon the upper half, where the leather has been worn firly smooth.
Without going for a re-upholstery job and new leather, it's pretty good...

"Normal is overrated"

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

As an aside, there's a steering wheel that looks the same as Barry's on ebay for £65:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331231504975
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Southernboy wrote:....... I thought the results were as good as one could ask considering the age / wear etc on the steering wheel... particularly aon the upper half, where the leather has been worn firly smooth.
Without going for a re-upholstery job and new leather, it's pretty good...
Results are fantastic and a lot cheaper than a re-trim ;)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks Stephen... Now to get the "grey" out the dashtop.... I think possibly the same or similar process of a good dishwash / brush scrubbing followed by some black re-colouring application... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Southernboy wrote:Thanks Stephen... Now to get the "grey" out the dashtop.... I think possibly the same or similar process of a good dishwash / brush scrubbing followed by some black re-colouring application... :wink:

What type of dye do you use for the dashboard? and do you apply a matt finishing coat like one would with leather?
I'm tempted to remove some scratches on the glove box with various sand papers, if i can dye it too....well....what a bonus :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

On hard plastic, I would go with Rustoleum in a can.... use the plastic undercoat, which unfortunately is white and then their matt black over that...
Just a pointer, if you do use the undercoat, read the instructions on the can... they specifically say "one light coat"... and that is a fact... don't worry about getting a solid colour but try for an even light distribution over the surface... the undercoat is to provide a decent "key" for the finishing coat. Also, don't have the can too close to the object... I generally keep it around 350 - 400 mm away.... and rather 3 very light coats of finish colour every 25 mins vs one heavy coat.... :wink:
If you have any experience with Rustoleum spray paints, you will know that you get an excellent fine finish....

Regarding my dash, I'm not decided on the route yet. It has a vynil fabric on it vs hard plastic.... so may have to use a sponge or cloth and some matt black dye / paint... I'll go chat to my upholstery guy... he may have the answer I need... :D
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

appreciate the info :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.. a pleasure... I've used it on my glovebox with excellent results... and that was some years ago on my 2.8... and never had any issue with the paint lifting / cracking etc... Just keep the paint thickness to a minimum to achieve a good finish... ie. more paint may be less desirable... :wink:
Also, the primer will provide a fine "texture" which will more closely resemble the original finish vs super smooth if too much paint is applied.
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

sirius-c wrote:I read somewhere (I thought it was here but cant find it) about a product that brought up steering wheels a treat (based on user experiences and reviews).
All I recall about this product is that it is a very fine scuff pad coated in some form of cleaning agent, its a general cleaner but I've read about many people using it for leather and vinyl with some great results, and if my ageing mind serves me correctly, the products Logo is of the top half of a man with his arms crossed.

They're called "Magic Eraser" pads
The product i was thinking about is the same, but branded "Mr Clean Magic Eraser", and is a lot more expensive

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

... That's quite a list ! I don't think I have seen it or anything like it here... I'll google it, and perhaps it's sold under a different name... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

Southernboy wrote:... That's quite a list ! I don't think I have seen it or anything like it here... I'll google it, and perhaps it's sold under a different name... :wink:
There are cheaper variants. I'm guessing they are the same as Mr Clean's offering

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151160676703? ... 1423.l2649