Wheels- smartening up

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Wheels- smartening up

Post by Z3 Mark »

I love my wheels even though no one else seems to, but anyway I want to make them look less tatty.

I don't have any spare so can't really just take them all off and send them somewhere, also I don't really have the money for that either :oops:

I'm going to get some new BMW centre caps from eBay and might get some chrome bolt covers too, but was wondering what to do with the pitting / corrosion issues that I have pictured below...

Also how to smarten up the centre around the caps?

Finally a shot of how they basically currently look

TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Re: Wheels- smartening up

Post by TR4man »

I have the same problem, but it appears that some of the mobile alloy wheel refurbishers will do the set of four in one day thus removing the requirement for a second "slave" set of wheels.

Try googling for a local company
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

I've used these guys in the past, very well priced and will collect from a local 'ish' garage.

http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/

If you're around this area (Woking, Surrey) I might be able to help with wheel collection and maybe even a loan set of wheels if needed
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

spurs fan in a coupe wrote:I've used these guys in the past, very well priced and will collect from a local 'ish' garage.

http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/

If you're around this area (Woking, Surrey) I might be able to help with wheel collection and maybe even a loan set of wheels if needed

I'm in south east london, but if I've read it correctly it's £190 for all four corners http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/OLDS ... celist.htm Might be worth a punt then when I have the time.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Hi Mark,
Read it again as that price is plus VAT and the price list is dated January 2011.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't enquire but expect to pay more than £190.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Z3 Mark, if these are in A1 condition as advertised I would consider buying them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BMW-A ... 6016.l4276

Cheaper and less hassle than refurbishing - simply fit these and sell yours

And arguably nicer looking wheels which were standard fit on some of the 2.8 and 3.0L cars

I have them on Gloria:

1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

Hi Alan, I have those on my 2.2i, wheels #64 I think from memory. I need new centres so if you know where I can score some please advise :D .
Good luck with the pricing Z3 Mark.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Hi cooper1, yes they are style 64 wheels, l have two sets of these and rotate them on the car, re your centre caps if it's just the bmw logo that has oxidised / faded the stickers are easy to get hold of, but if it is the cap itself you can get them new with sticker already fitted from bmw for about £16 each.
Z3 Mark

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Z3 Mark »

Love those wheels but fell in love with the z3 during goldeneye so currently have my "perfect" wheels :D

I've bought new caps and will go over the centres with a rattle can and dremmel to save some money as I've just spent way too much on a shiny new tablet :lol:

It'll do for now and I'll either buy a new set of the same style from ebay in the future or pay approx £200 to get them referbished. To be honest I feel a little like I have one of the messiest cars on here, with a load of little problems and corrosion etc, but bit by bit I am trying to bring it up to 8/10 :lol:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I just paid £120 to have my wife's 17" sport wheels chemically stripped, sandblasted and powder coated. Thats for all four wheels!!!!!
I also took down 4 new tyres for them to fit, they took off the old tyres, put on my four new tyres with new valves, and balanced them, all in that price.
Wheels without tyres are £80 for all four.

They have done a super job, It's City Powder Coaters in Birmingham.

Last edited by gookah on Fri 22 Aug, 2014 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Wow gookah, thats a very striking car, the bodywork colour and the wheel style compliment each other perfectly, and thats the only colour I've seen that actually looks good with chrome gills... very handsome!