Shifting the dreaded Alge.

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Shifting the dreaded Alge.

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi to you all out there albeit this is not confined to just Zeds it is applicable to any vehicle with a Mohair Hood.
After trawling the internet for a proven resolve to removing Algae and especially as come Spring I will be doing a full hood Renovo job.
The Algae has got to be regularly attacked to keep the risk of more permanent staining and Algae associated deterioration of the Mohair at bay. This is especially so around the rubber seal along the back edge of the hood.
Having used a new stiff toothbrush and a moderately diluted Milton/Water mix I came to the conclusion that something a little more positive needed trying.
I decided to use Milton Sterilising Fluid at a strength of 1part Milton to 2parts water and rinse with copious amounts of water and then straight down to the DIY car wash and careful rinsing off with the wand from a respectable distance.
The result is truly amazing - No More Algae and clean as a whistle with no loss of colour, -- BUT the real hero is the curved dental brush for dentures.
It is the one that comes in a variety of colours and has the short pointed group of bristles on one side and the full curve of bristles on the other side.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
DaveWill71

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Shifting the dreaded Alge.

Post by DaveWill71 »

Hi

This post is really useful, and I have now got myself a bottle of the Milton Sterilizer (from a baby shop!!) and am ready to go.

So when applying is it just a case of dipping the toothbrush into the diluted solution and working small areas? This will take an age I can imagine to do the whole roof?

Cheers
Dave
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

DaveWill71 wrote:Hi

This post is really useful, and I have now got myself a bottle of the Milton Sterilizer (from a baby shop!!) and am ready to go.

So when applying is it just a case of dipping the toothbrush into the diluted solution and working small areas? This will take an age I can imagine to do the whole roof?

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave. No - in a word. It is totally dependant upon the extent of the Algae and where it is affecting the hood.

Yes I did use a Brand New Stiff Bristled toothbrush where necessary but especially around the areas of the side window line and the lower parts where the hood is at the rear.

The rest of the job was carried out with a Nail-brush.

Copious amounts of water from a large plastic jug were used to keep the area clean of the crap that is then loosened.

Then after completing the hood - the car is cleaned and rinsed off using a watering can with rainwater from my water butts.
I then ran the car around the lanes to accelerate the drying process and then finally dry it off micro fibre cloth.

Just a point - in passing. I actually wash my Z3 by hand most of the time and use a tiny drop of Stardrops (Morrisons Supermarket or Old Style Chandlers) and nothing else - it is detergent free.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Mine was quite green, so I just used Renovo, but left if on for an hour (making sure it didn't dry), then hosed it off. All the green has gone.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

BladeRunner919 wrote:Mine was quite green, so I just used Renovo, but left if on for an hour (making sure it didn't dry), then hosed it off. All the green has gone.
Hi BladeRunner. I also have the full Renovo Kit but the Mohair is otherwise all OK and just needed the Algae dealing with.

Milton is for nothing,Renovo is not cheap.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I keep mine cleaned with a pressure washer and never get algae forming

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
DaveWill71

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by DaveWill71 »

The 1 part Milton and 2 parts water worked a treat. Applied it with a small bristled brush. The hood is now perfectly black again.
Thanks all
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

As above cleared the Algae used Wilco own brand 1/4 the price of Miltons
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
zeezee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by zeezee »

Hi thanks for the post the dreaded has been the scourge of my soft top days for years have tried just about everything over time without any real lasting success.I am now the proud owner of a very preloved Z3 and the hood is spotless as is the whole car. I hope I don't need to try fix for a very long time but will pass the info to my other ragtop friends nice one cheers ZeeZee.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

zeezee wrote:Hi thanks for the post the dreaded has been the scourge of my soft top days for years have tried just about everything over time without any real lasting success.I am now the proud owner of a very preloved Z3 and the hood is spotless as is the whole car. I hope I don't need to try fix for a very long time but will pass the info to my other ragtop friends nice one cheers ZeeZee.
Hi zeezee. I have just done mine again with a solution of 1 Part Milton to 2 Parts water. I live in an extremely rural environment,indeed out in open countryside and I get algae and tree sap on both my Z3 and my Volvo V70 paintwork.
The secret with the Milton/Water is an Old Toothbrush and copious amounts of water to rinse the algae off as it is being released from the top. Changing the preparation before it gets overly filthy. Then take the car for a short spin and wash it thoroughly then drive it to dry it off.

What was it you bagged,the colour and model - and was it an E'bay or an Auto Trader purchase ? Enjoy your new-new-to-you car ?
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

Hi. This is my first post on the forum.
I have this week bought a 1998 1.9 which is my first Z3, and is in great condition except for the roof which is absolutely covered in algae. I will definitely try the Milton treatment as I was thinking that I might have to resort to a new roof!
Thanks for the tip.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

martin41052 wrote:Hi. This is my first post on the forum.
I have this week bought a 1998 1.9 which is my first Z3, and is in great condition except for the roof which is absolutely covered in algae. I will definitely try the Milton treatment as I was thinking that I might have to resort to a new roof!
Thanks for the tip.
Hi Martin. Welcome. Where are you based ? I would (as the Yorkshire men say) be belt and braces prepared and buy a Renovo kit as a back-up. More for the restoration of the colour and the proofer than the cleaning product. Whilst it might well do the job perfectly well,it could be kept as back-up in-case you cannot get Milton just when you need it.
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

Hi Rooster thanks for the reply. Yes I've ordered some proper stuff so will see how things go. I live in Ware in Hertfordshire........, just near enough to London to get the benefit of it, but far enough away for comfort!
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Shifting the dreaded Algae.

martin41052 wrote:Hi Rooster thanks for the reply. Yes I've ordered some proper stuff so will see how things go. I live in Ware in Hertfordshire........, just near enough to London to get the benefit of it, but far enough away for comfort!
Hi again Martin. I know Ware and the area very well having spent some time working in Braughing (just up the road) for several years and passing through Ware to get to Roydon where I had a caravan pitched as temporary accommodation and travelling weekly between my home in West Lancashire and Roydon.

Do you recall the time that the whole of the area was flooded and Roydon was cut off from Ware and a massive detour was the only way around it ?
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

The floods must have been before I moved here. I've lived here since 1982 and there have been no major floods in that time.

The Milton wash worked to a certain extent and certainly removed most of the thick stuff. The renovo improved it further and it is a vast improvement, but there are still faint stains all over the roof that don't seem to want to come off. As it is also parting company from the rear window I think I'll go for a complete replacement. It's not a job that I can do myself so any recommendations around North London, Hertfordshire, Essex area for good, trustworthy fitters?
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

martin41052 wrote:The floods must have been before I moved here. I've lived here since 1982 and there have been no major floods in that time.

The Milton wash worked to a certain extent and certainly removed most of the thick stuff. The renovo improved it further and it is a vast improvement, but there are still faint stains all over the roof that don't seem to want to come off. As it is also parting company from the rear window I think I'll go for a complete replacement. It's not a job that I can do myself so any recommendations around North London, Hertfordshire, Essex area for good, trustworthy fitters?
Hi again Martin. Did you use a stiff toothbrush for the more difficult/confined areas and a stiff nail-brush for everywhere else and then rinse with copious amounts of fresh water including a frequent change of the Milton solution ?

The flooding was during the time that I worked in Braughing and as I recall it was in the very early part of 2001 and through until end of 2002,indeed it was just after I had bought my Rover 825i Sterling Auto and was travelling through Ware and onto the B181 on a daily basis. I would travel down from West Lancashire on a Sunday evening and travel back on a Thursday and have Friday,Saturday and most of Sunday at home. I was self employed and only did well paid commissioned work.
After Braughing I went to work in Crondall,Surrey for the same company and again on a Self Employed basis.
The B181 dropped down into lower ground whilst winding through a bit of woodland and very narrow country lane before eventually coming to the railway crossing at Roydon,my caravan was on the caravan park and very close to the clubhouse.
The flooding affect the last stretch and just before the railway crossing and a very wide area of the surrounding low lying land.
It was apparently the two stretches of water that burst their banks at or very near to where The River Stort and The River Stort Navigation come very close together.
A property at the Roydon Park just after the turning to cross the canal had brick blown-out of a property that was built right on the canal edge.
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

Actually you're right it does get flooded round there as it's right by the river. It's not so bad in Ware as they open sluice gates to relieve river pressure onto the meads.
I'm not sure that l can be bothered to spend too much time with a toothbrush. I'll perhaps have one more go before giving up but It seems that a new roof will be inevitable in the end. Thanks for your support though mate :)
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by andy & fonz »

hi
top tip, sorted the algy out on my Z3 hood, wiko fluid £1.50 2 toothbrushs 18p nail brush 40p, bit of effort in todays sunshine sorted !