First Ever 'Detailing' Attempt - using Autoglym

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

First Ever 'Detailing' Attempt - using Autoglym

Post by David »

In preparation for a cruise tomorrow in Aylesbury (arranged on .org, PM me if you want to join in!), I figured I'd spend the afternoon giving Scarlett the most thorough exterior clean I have ever given to any car I've owned; usually I am just a petrol station wash and wax kind of guy...

So, with my first lot of tools in hand (there are other 'products' ;) available)...
...I made a start to the cleaning. Unfortunately I didn't take a before photo, but trust me - she was a dirty dirty girl.

I didn't trust myself with a clay bar, so instead I opted for one of these new fandangos - the clay mitt by G3 (pictured above). As I've never used a normal clay bar, I couldn't tell you the difference, but supposedly it does exactly the same job, but is far easier and quicker to use. Well it was easy to use that's for sure.

After washing the car using Autoglym's shampoo, I dried the car off and used the clay mitt with the Autoglym Rapid Detailer as a lubricant. You basically lightly wipe the paintwork with the mitt, until all the contaminants have been removed (you can here the mitt at work, which is a great, but kinda scary as it sounds like scratching).

After the shampoo and clay mitt with Rapid Detailer:

Next, I used Autoglym's Super Resin Polish (and 2 cotton cloths to buff on and off) all over to try remove a few light scratches and bring out a fresh shade of red in Scarlett's paintwork:

At this point I cleaned all the glass, inside and out, with Autoglym's Fast Glass Polish, and then used Autoglym's Aqua Wax to finish her off. The 'destructions' said to apply to a wet car after shampooing, so I gave Scarlett a misted hosing down before waxing:

As per being told so by the bottle, I sprayed the wax sparingly all over, and then wiped the down with one microfibre cloth, then finally buffed to a shine with another microfibre cloth.

So here she is, in all her glory:

I'm ecstatic with the results, but unfortunately the shine only further accentuates all her shone-chips and blemishes, which no amount of detailing can remove :(

Bring on tomorrow! ...Although, after the two hour drive it'll take me to get to Aylesbury, Scarlett will probably be nearly as filthy as before!
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
Daz 999

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: First Ever 'Detailing' Attempt - using Autoglym

Post by Daz 999 »

Well worth the hard work, great shine! 8-)
ImageImageImage

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

That's a great shine...should'a had the roof down for the pics though... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Well done that man! I really enjoy spending a few hours under the carport bringing Reggie up to his best. I have never clay barred but would like to have ago before putting him back on the road in the spring. Scarlett looks great for a bit of elbow grease. Hope the weather holds so you can get the heater turned up and the roof down! :drive

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Davejue1 wrote:Well done that man! I really enjoy spending a few hours under the carport bringing Reggie up to his best. I have never clay barred but would like to have ago before putting him back on the road in the spring. Scarlett looks great for a bit of elbow grease. Hope the weather holds so you can get the heater turned up and the roof down! :drive
Clay barring a must Dave, as part of your summer prep takes no time at all plus makes polishing so much easier. If in doubt let me know, sure i could make my way over to yours sometime (Only charge tea and a bacon butty)
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Sounds like a plan Paul! I'll give you a shout in the spring. :thumb:

johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Decided to clean the car today and happy with the overall look. However when I was finished the rear window still looked cloudy dispite a good external clean with Windowlene. I then thought what about the inside of the rear screen. Never thought about it before. It was filthy. Not easy to get to but well worth the effort. The view now is just like driving a car with a glass screen.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Dearest David... Whilst I appreciate your efforts my young apprentice, may I teach you a little play on words...

Polish - an ever confusing range of products which can be bought for a small fortune with the purpose to make the car pretty after you have spent an hour washing it

Polish - the act of spending a few more hours applying the product (of the same name) you bought above for a small fortune after already spending an hour washing it

Polish - the nationality of the fine people on Princess Parkway who not only wash my car but also carry out the process (of the same name) of applying the every confusing range of products (of the same name) in 5 minutes which would take me a few hours and would have cost me a small fortune but only costs me a fiver

....plus a vanilla air freshener
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
David

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by David »

So, Bertiejaffa, essentially you are telling me I made a schoolboy error and I should've let....

...the polish using Polish polish my car?
Or, the Polish, using polish, polish my car?
Southernboy wrote:Nipple Cream
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

bertiejaffa wrote:Dearest David... Whilst I appreciate your efforts my young apprentice, may I teach you a little play on words...

Polish - an ever confusing range of products which can be bought for a small fortune with the purpose to make the car pretty after you have spent an hour washing it

Polish - the act of spending a few more hours applying the product (of the same name) you bought above for a small fortune after already spending an hour washing it

Polish - the nationality of the fine people on Princess Parkway who not only wash my car but also carry out the process (of the same name) of applying the every confusing range of products (of the same name) in 5 minutes which would take me a few hours and would have cost me a small fortune but only costs me a fiver

It takes a brave man Bertie....I occasionally use our local cosovans at a fiver a throw but would definitely not take the Zed to them. They have a habit of dropping the sponge then washing your car! :bad

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

David wrote:So, Bertiejaffa, essentially you are telling me I made a schoolboy error and I should've let....

...the polish using Polish polish my car?
Or, the Polish, using polish, polish my car?
Exactly!!! Surely the same word for all 3...! I don't believe in coincidences !!
Davejue1 wrote:
bertiejaffa wrote:Dearest David... Whilst I appreciate your efforts my young apprentice, may I teach you a little play on words...

It takes a brave man Bertie....I occasionally use our local cosovans at a fiver a throw but would definitely not take the Zed to them. They have a habit of dropping the sponge then washing your car! :bad
Ha ha... Yeah, but you're assuming I dont :oops:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal