Cosmos Black Paint

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Cosmos Black Paint

Post by eddie1 »

Hi Guys, I've just bought some touch up paint from Halfords. I have a 97 Cosmos Black 2.8 z3. The paint bought says metallic! is this correct? as I never thought the car was metallic. The paint is BMW Cosmos Black, any help on this! I only want to touch up a few paint chips nothing major!

Regards Eddie1 ( Pete ) :shrug
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Cosmos Black Paint

Post by Trevsky »

Yes Cosmos Black is metallic. You should be able to see the flecks in the paint when its cleaned and polished.
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

Thanks Trevsky, can't say I can see it. Mind you at 60 the old eyesight aint what it used to be! Saying that tho' it must be a very fine flake finish!
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

Bit confused about my paint. Car is listed as cosmos black. I'm told it's metallic, but it doesn't look metallic! Want to touch up the chips but want to be right! Even in the direct sunlight and very clean it don't look metallic!8
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

1) Check the colour name on the plate inside engine bay.
2) Check the colour by VIN on the internet. Cosmos black metallic has color code 303.
3) Make sure your car has original paint.

Check here color options available for z3: http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3_colors.htm
eddie1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eddie1 »

Deni2s thanks for the info, the plate reads 668/9 which is black II according to your chart and non metallic. Which is not what it was advertised as when I bought it! Go change it now. Thanks again.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

You are welcome. I have black II hardtop for my cosmo-black-metallic z3, it looks a little bit darker, maybe not so shiny. I do prefer my cosmo black, but I think it is more common for z3 than black II.