COST OF RE-SPRAY.

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

COST OF RE-SPRAY.

Post by Southernboy »

Here's the story...
I took my car to a reputable paint shop on monday and was quoted £170 to have the front bumper and bonnet sorted. I then decided to look into doing the job myself and got pricing for the paint, clear coat, hardener, and thinners. This came to £95
Added to that would be the rental of a compressor and gun - £25...and then the various sandpapers, cutting compound, buffing polish and tack cloths £20....
Guess who will be doing the job for the extra £30..... :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: COST OF RE-SPRAY.

Post by bertiejaffa »

Makes sense... I once did my old beetle including all the rub down, fixing welding and spraying etc... Was tougher than I thought and was never 100% happy with the finish to be honest.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Your labour rates must be much more competitive in SA. I'm afraid that my experience with large (insurance company approved) body shops in the Bristol area has been terrible. Very expensive for a rubbish job - one (of several) example job a few years back, by a Direct Line approved bodyshop in Bristol, was abysmal - paint didn't match, paint overspray on rear window and lights, rear bumper bolts not put back on, rear washer pipe left disconnected etc. They could have press-ganged monkeys from Bristol Zoo to have done a better job! :(
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Here's the next amazing thing today....... I stopped off at BMW dealership locally...they have their own paint / body shop... I went in and asked if they could mix me some touch up paint...5 minutes later the fella comes back with a 100ml plastic bottle, complete with brush...price - FREE !! :shock:
"Normal is overrated"

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Southernboy wrote:Here's the next amazing thing today....... I stopped off at BMW dealership locally...they have their own paint / body shop... I went in and asked if they could mix me some touch up paint...5 minutes later the fella comes back with a 100ml plastic bottle, complete with brush...price - FREE !! :shock:
Ha ha I might try that... Any odds on the response?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Southernboy wrote:Here's the next amazing thing today....... I stopped off at BMW dealership locally...they have their own paint / body shop... I went in and asked if they could mix me some touch up paint...5 minutes later the fella comes back with a 100ml plastic bottle, complete with brush...price - FREE !! :shock:
Had a similar experience with my local BMW dealer, wanted some of that horrible black mastic that's used to seal the door cards so went in asked if it was available to purchase. Sales guy went into the stores and came back with enough to probably do the whole car, and wouldn't take anything for it! :D Sometimes I don't think they deserve the term '$tealer' (only sometimes though)!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

TBH.... my local BMW dealer knows me so well, I consistently get a minimum of 10% and generally 20% discount on parts. I can't complain with that, although my first stop is always Meyle to check if they carry the component. They are most often 1/2 or less the price of BMW and of equivalent quality.
"Normal is overrated"