A sunday spent with renovo

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
HighSharpe

Z3 roadster 2.0

A sunday spent with renovo

Post by HighSharpe »

Hello All

I am not sure I am adding much to the sum total of information on this topic on this forum, but here goes.

Decided to take on a bit of DIY this sunday. Been meaning to refresh the roof a bit. It wasn't looking too shabby, having been stored underground during my ownership, but could have looked fresher. I ordered 500ml cans of Renovo black dye and the proofer. I didn't get the cleaner, as I don't have a facility for a hose, and had to go to the neighbourhood car washers to get the car cleaned. Anyways, my roof wasn't ever beading, and was absorbing the water falling on it (nothing ever went inside, TBH) so I decided to chance it. I got it washed with a low pressure nozzle and usual car shampoo that they use.

First I rid the roof of lint using a lint remover 'brush'. That itself made the roof look quite fresh. Half thought of stopping there.

I then proceeded to apply the renovo dye. I was surprised at the consistency .. it was as thin as water. Anyway, I used a 2 inch brush and went to work. It was quite hard to apply it evenly. The point where the brush first touched the roof would suck in the dye and the rest of the areas looked a bit lighter. Anyways, I carried on thinking this was the first coat.

I left it to dry underground for three hours. When I got back the roof looked much nicer. I took the car out to the sun, and that revealed the flaws of my brushwork. It looked quite bad from some angles. Discouraged, I took her back down and added another coat with the same brush.

Another couple hours later, the roof looked much better, but still had some patches. I then threw caution to the wind, and drove down to the nearby superstore to buy some 5 inch brushes. The car looked much better having air dried and sat in the parking lot for a bit.

The third coat I was more careful with masking off other areas, though I had been wiping off stray splatters promptly. I could feel the difference with the fatter brush - it was picking up more liquid and slapping it on more evenly. I used 'vertical' brushstrokes, ie, parallel to the ribs of the roof rather than a mix unlike the first coat.

Just finished the last coat (I ran out of liquid :) ) . Waiting to see how it looks tomorrow. Then onward to the proofer.

Pics

1/ Pre painting ... note fluff on mid section

2/ Some of the tools .. lint brush, painting brush, chopped off milkbottle

3/Right panel 'painted' .. left areas not touched yet - note patchiness

4/ IN the sun after the first coat .. eeuuugh !

5/ Looks better after the second coat.. also because of the angle
HighSharpe

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: A sunday spent with renovo

Post by HighSharpe »

Meant to ask ... any further advice, tips? Is the proofer really necessary? What would happen if I just left it as it is (the roof never leaked to the interior).

Any info appreciated.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I have discussed this at length with a guy who has been fitting soft tops for years. The proofer isn't essential, water cannot get through a roof in good condition as the roof material is a "sandwich" with a waterproof layer in the middle. To help care for this waterproof layer, neither solvent cleaner nor very high pressure water lance should be used - as it could damage it. The proofer will however, help water (and the dirt in it) to run off the top. Apparently, occasionally vacuuming the top is helpful as it sucks out abrasive dirt and particles. :)
HighSharpe

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by HighSharpe »

Went ahead with the coat of proofer this evening. A 500ml bottle is only good for 1 coat .. I thought it would be good for 2. I was surprised the dye was good enough for a couple. Plus any variations in overlaps etc were quite apparent if you looked at it from the correct angle.

Anyways, here are the pics. Wish I was a bit less hurried with the masking off. But once I got the hang of it I wasn't spilling much.

HighSharpe

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by HighSharpe »

Beading... pity the roof attracts so much fluff where it's parked.