Refurbish these style 42 rims or not

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
maesitos

Z3 roadster 1.8

Refurbish these style 42 rims or not

Post by maesitos »

Hello from Spain!

I came across with an inexpensive set of 17" BBS Style 42 rims for my Z3, they cost 400€ but they look like this:

My idea is to make them look like this:

The previous owner paint them in black and they are awful, I'd like to put them back to its original look. There's a well know company over here that can do the polish/paint job for 50€/wheel but as for the picture I can tell the owner also painted the bolts (and there's one missing). Do you know if I should replace the bolts? or should I also refurbish them (in case it's possible)?

Now they look horrible but If I can get the desired result, that would be a neat style 42 rims for 600€ (in case I don't have to buy new bolts).

What's your opinion, should I go for it? will it worth it? I think these rims are hard to find now so that's why I'm considering refurbishing them.

By the way I'm new to the forum, I'll be posting the pictures of my car once I finish the mods I'm planing.

Sorry if my english sounds weird, I'm not a native speaker!

Best regards.
maesitos

Z3 roadster 1.8

Re: Refurbish these style 42 rims or not

Post by maesitos »

This article made me reconsider it WOW http://www.prestigewheelcentre.co.uk/bl ... el-centre/
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Refurbish these style 42 rims or not

Post by Brian H »

Welcome to the forum,

I cannot remember if the style 42s have split barrels or not, if you want a top notch job then you should budget for new bolts too but they won't be cheap!

The link you posted showing the porsche wheel refurb is excellent but it took 5 days to do the work, you will pay more than 50euros a wheel for that type of work.

Have a good look at the lips on your wheels, if there any marks/kerb rash then these are difficult to remove when polishing. On the face of it they do look as if they will clean up but not too sure if they will end up like picture no:2