Makeshift shelter - condensation?

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Makeshift shelter - condensation?

Post by Warrior »

I'm looking to build a temporary shelter to home Zeddie for the winter. She's been well looked after, washed, dried, cleaned polished & waxed on a regular basis but de-greening the roof has been difficult and as prices for 3.0i's seem to be firming up she probably deserves a little better.

The plan is to bolt together a wooden frame and cover it with correx board, the sort estate agents use for signage. I can source it cheaply, have plenty of bolts left over from building a pergola in the summer and reckon 100 quid will buy me enough timber.

Couple of questions. She'll be kept on a gravel drive atop a 6" base but should I put some correx or a plastic sheet down to prevent moisture rising underneath? Should I look for the best airseal or allow for some airflow into the chamber?
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: Makeshift shelter - condensation?

Post by pingu »

Airflow is good for airing the car, but bad when the wind gets up - as I found out a couple of winters ago :shock: .

Best might be to have air gaps, but to loop straps over the structure and bolt them to the floor.
Pingu
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I've thought about doing similar although more so to work on the car in the dry.

I decided not to as the risk of it blowing away and causing damage is too great.

If you just want to protect the car why not look at a carcoon?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

the 500 quid price tag puts me of the carcoon :shock:
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Warrior wrote:the 500 quid price tag puts me of the carcoon :shock:
It's a lot of money to find but I don't think it's an insane amount to protect your pride and joy. Especially if a home-made assembly blows away and damages the car.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)