wind deflector, no hoops

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Gazza

M roadster S54

wind deflector, no hoops

Post by Gazza »

Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
w666est

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w666est »

..or you can buy my brand ne one for less.... :P
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Less than £16.01?? :wink:

Gazza.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
w666est

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w666est »

i take it all back! mine is different and in first class condition (never used.) all for over £16.01 :oops:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

First up, thanks for flagging this one up, G. :D

I won it - bit of a last minute bidding flurry, in the end it went for quite a bit more than a penny plus postage.

This is a Type I original BMW wind deflector, and unlike the later Type II involves no drilling to your car. It is designed for cars without roll hoops, and in theory fits in about 15 minutes.

I was a bit miffed to find that all I got in the post was the wind-deflector itself. It was in good condition and well wrapped, but it was minus two important pieces - they key to operate the locks and the mounting brackets to actually fix it to the car. Thankfully a complete set of these can still be bought from the $tealer for the princely sum of £23 inc. VAT, so I now have new locks, two keys and the necessary brackets.

Fitting turned out to be a complete PITA. In theory, all you do is pop out the inserts in the top of the turrets and fasten the bracket to the roll-hoop mount underneath using the nifty expanding fingers on the brackets.

This is where I came unstuck - my turrets are filled with polystyrene and a plastic plug seemingly to keep muck out of the roll-hoop brackets. It proved impossible to extract this through the hole in the top of the turret, so I had to remove them. The real PITA is that two of the screws that hold the turrets on are obscured by the storage box, so that had to come off too! Having stripped what felt like half the trim off the car, it was then an easy matter to cut the polystyrene, put the turrets back on, reassemble the car and finally fit the deflector. Took me two and half hours! :roll:

I took a couple of pics of what I found underneath the trim. Look to me that the outer roll-hoop mounting tubes are welded to the car and that the threads are there to bolt the inner ones on should I ever choose to add roll-hoops (in fact I could probably have fitted roll-hoops in the time it took to do the deflector :lol:). The cable you can see if for my own CD multi-changer which is fitted inside the storage box. The second pic shows how the seatbelt reel sits and how the belt is anchored to the top of the roll-hoop mounting.

This is the inside of the turret, showing how it is filled with polystyrene and had a plastic cap that goes into the roll-hoop mounting, and how I simply cut this away to allow the deflector bracket to fit through.

I'll post some more pics up of the deflector on the car. I had a quick test drive and it certainly works. Will take a little getting used to looking through the mesh in the rear-view mirror.

I've now been and ordered the proper bag to keep the deflector in, as now I've fitted it, the hardtop will be going on for winter! :lol:

All in it works out at about £120 including posatge. I'm quite pleased with that as it is all new parts apart from the deflector itself. The list price in my 2000 accessories brochure is £180.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
minniebannister

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by minniebannister »

Thanks for the pix. But I can't quite make out what|I'm seeing in the last 2 ?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

minniebannister wrote:Thanks for the pix. But I can't quite make out what|I'm seeing in the last 2 ?
I'm not sure my phone has done the best job of focussing on the bottom 2 - these are the inside of the turret whilst I was working on it - you can see it on the car at the top of the first photo - I've taken it off the car and turned it upside down - you can just see the seatbelt still going through it on the left hand one - and for some reason the leg of my jeans. :oops: :lol:

The polystyrene seemed to be stuck to the inside of the turret, so rather than remove the lot, I cut round the round plastic plug in the left hand photo to remove both the plug and make a hole - in the right hand photo you are looking through the hole right through the top of the turret.

I didn't take any pictures of the deflector parts as these are documented in the (German) instructions that came with my bag of bits. If anyone needs these instructions I can scan them for you and provide a very rough translation.

Cheers R.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Managed to take a couple of shots of the deflector on the car. You can see the mounting bracket and the lock on the right-hand pic. The deflector does fold horizontal, but only when the roof is down. I can still access the storage box with it on, but the lower edge of the frame stops the lid opening fully. It really is only a two second job to remove it though.

Cheers R.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: wind deflector, no hoops

Post by handsomejackuk »

Rob,

do you have any better pictures of this windstopper, i have got one and have made some brackets but looks as though it can be removed with a key, and possibly folded flat... can you confirm if this windstopper will fold flat when the roof is up ?

i have mounted mine but wondering if i need to move it a bit further forward to enable me to fold the windstopper down when the roof is up to improve rear visibility

thanks Al....
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

who originally supplied this item Rob ?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hi Al,

Bit of a thread resurrection after almost 10 years!

The deflector is a genuine BMW item, but can only be bought second-hand. As I said in my original post, when it arrived, it was only the deflector, no fitting brackets at all - yes, that's what the seller showed in his photos, but he could have at least mentioned that they were needed! Fortunately, the sitting kit was still available from BMW at the time and I managed to but the brackets and two new locks complete with keys. The brackets were a little bit odd in that they had a system of a ball and fingers that were pushed outwards as you tightened the screw in the top, locking it into the tube on the car. The brackets themselves have a small arm that allows the deflector to sit slightly forward of the centres of the tubes.

From memory, the deflector could be tilted horizontally to aid rear visibility when reversing, but it would catch on the roof if you tried to do this with the roof up. With a bit of fumbling, it was however possible to remove the deflector with the roof up.

I will have to have a hunt for some more photos. I may have taken a shot of the brackets before they were fitted, but if not, I should be able to find the photos above and enlarge the shot of bracket to give a close up.

I sold the deflector to another forum member when I fitted rollhoops to my car. I've not seen them on here for a while, so I suspect the car may have been sold by now.

Cheers R.
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

Rob,

yeah strange that, another forum member on the other forum said they were genuine bmw... I wonder if bmw were getting them off these and simply claiming them as their own

https://www.cabriosupply.de/windschotts ... 03-schwarz

https://www.cabriosupply.de/media/catal ... g_0112.jpg

i have made up some brackets and got the wind deflector fitted i would have liked to replicate the original fitting with a lock or quick release mechanism or be able to fold the wind deflector down with the roof up to aid visibility...

thanks for the reply i did wonder whether you were still active on the forum

Al...