LHD Non-M Z3 Coupe Auto...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

LHD Non-M Z3 Coupe Auto...

Post by Richardenigma »

Genuine question for all you Z3 afficianados...and I know this is the Z3 Roadster 'segment' but I think it's the most apt for my enquiry.

As you all probably Non-M Z3 Coupes were only ever made LHD but came in 2.8 (CK28) and 3.0 (CN30) variants...the former had 193 bhp and the latter 231 bhp. I had the pleasure of owning a 2.8 automatic in the Middle East and loved it to bits...

Leaving aside the LHD issue why do we think there are so few non-M Coupes in the UK?

I ask because I'm a gnat's whisker from importing one (Z3 Coupe 3.0 automatic) in from Japan (Albino needs a sibling) and wanted an objective sanity test from an informed group...good idea or verifiably insane?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I guess it depends how much bread you have to deliver. :twisted:

I think you answered the question yourself - driving an LHD car in a RHD country is something only an enthusiast can put up with - the bigger question is why did BMW not produce the non-///M coupes in RHD?

The Z3 coupe (in whatever form) is another marmite car - you either love it or you hate it - and despite not actually liking marmite, I do rather like the coupe. It is quite an aggressive looking car and arguably handles better than the corresponding roadster... however, as I can afford to run two zeds, I chose the roadster option because I'd rather have the wind in my hair (at least whilst I still have some!).

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
DAVE P

M coupe S50

Post by DAVE P »

there is such a model as a RHD Z3 coupe (nonM), but they were not available in the UK, heres a link to a picture

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10592

also there is a LHD Z3 coupe 2.8 for sale at the moment,

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C188665/
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

Post by Richardenigma »

Thanks for that Dave P...looks like the RHD version may have been a 'one off' so will be the proverbial 'hen's teeth' to source another one...

...and I have never found a LHD version for sale in the UK (and have checked that site along with many others) so thank you for that find...shame the mileage is so high and its a CK28 as I'd prefer a CN30!
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: LHD Non-M Z3 Coupe Auto...

Post by OXO »

Richardenigma wrote:Genuine question for all you Z3 afficianados...and I know this is the Z3 Roadster 'segment' but I think it's the most apt for my enquiry.

As you all probably Non-M Z3 Coupes were only ever made LHD but came in 2.8 (CK28) and 3.0 (CN30) variants...the former had 193 bhp and the latter 231 bhp. I had the pleasure of owning a 2.8 automatic in the Middle East and loved it to bits...

Leaving aside the LHD issue why do we think there are so few non-M Coupes in the UK?

I ask because I'm a gnat's whisker from importing one (Z3 Coupe 3.0 automatic) in from Japan (Albino needs a sibling) and wanted an objective sanity test from an informed group...good idea or verifiably insane?
Japan?

I hope you aren't planning to use Bonsai Cars..?
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

Post by Richardenigma »

I'm not and from the tone of your question I'm guessing that's a good thing?

I have used Mashamoto in the past but their moral repugnancy has ensured I won't use them ever again...it's been over a year and they still owe me £700...
baretto

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by baretto »

There is someone on this forum who has a non M LHD coupe. You can get a decent one for about 6k. I wonder how much it would cost to import one and how much a LHD to RHD conversion would cost. I would love an M coupe, but at 11k for a decent one its not an option at the moment