New French Motoring Laws

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

New French Motoring Laws

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I realise that most Brits have no regard for the laws of any other country - particularly France - but there are a few new ones which you may - or not - take notice of!

Even though many Brits are happy to obey French law, there are a lot of very visible visitors who do not. The Gendarmes state that the British are the worst breakers of French motoring laws (even worse than the Italians and Swiss) and so are targeted.

Basic Requirements:

Warning triangles are compulsory - a minimum of one per car.

Headlamps to be adjusted or masked for driving on the right.

Carry your driving licence, insurance certificate, MoT certificate, and registration document. Remember that if you cannot show your driving licence - you will not be permitted to drive in France. Photocopies are not acceptable. Roadside checks for 'Your papers please' are not uncommon - expect the Gendarmes to loiter near any handy bar!

A fluorescent waistcoat or jacket must be carried for each potential car passenger - in other words the number of seat belts - one of which must be inside the car for donning before getting out. Being on the hard shoulder or slip roads (including those in service areas) while not wearing one is punishable by a 135 Euro fine.

Remember that on an autoroute of dual carraigeway, in conditions of rain or reduced visibility - where you need to use the wipers continuously, the put the headlamps on - the maximum speed limit is reduced by 10 kph.

Also remember that the name sign at entry to any town, village etc acts as a 50 kph / 30 mph limit sign, until you leave the town, when the name sign will have a black line through it.

A yellow diamond-shaped sign at the roadside means you are on a Priority road, and traffic on all junctions should give way to you. This priorite is cancelled at built-up areas by the same sign with a black line through it.

All roads at junctions on non-priorite roads are NOT minor roads - if on your right, they are subject to the Prorite a Droit rule, whereby YOU must give way to traffic on your right. Always be prepared to give way, but do not assume it for yourself unless the traffic to your left has stopped. Even then, look out for idiot motorcyclists overtaking the cars which have stopped to give you priorite.

Pedestrians have absolute right of way on a crossing, and if they are about to step onto a crossing. As the French tend to stand and talk to each other at a crossing, this requires a certain amount of body language interpretation . . .

Those who have passed their test less than 2 years ago, or are under 22, are restricted to a blood alcohol level of 20 mG/L - a quarter of the UK level - this really means NO drinking at least within 12 hours of driving. This is of particular note on the last night of le Mans etc, when les Gendarmes will be waiting along the road - any infraction of le loi will result in being breathalised.

Do NOT park in any disabled bay - even by a wheel's width - as this will attract a a135 euro fine, even if you are with your car.

New Laws/Changes:

The signs warning of radars ahead are now being removed, so it will be just like in the UK. Remember that les gendarmes can now prosecute you in the UK, and a fine may be on the doormat when you get home. The cameras are usually set o operate at a level of 5% over the limit.

(After this policy attracted a lot of criticism in the Senate, the Minister of the Interior has promised to replace the signs with electronic 'Your speed is' indicators. I have seen one, which shows green if your speed is legal, or red if otherwise)

Pedestrians and cyclists now have right of way if on the road, no matter what they are doing - but they have been told to use a bit of common sense!

Using a hand held phone - up from 35 Euro to 135.

Exceeding a speed limit by 30 mph can now result in a year in prison and a fine of up to 4500 Euros.

Watching a television set or computer screen while driving - 1500 Euro fine

Posession, carraige, and use of any type of advance radar/laser etc warning equipment - 1500 Euros. This includes GPS units with camera site alert warnings, which must be disabled permanently (ie a software change) not just turned off. There will be no 'But it's legal in the UK and I turned the alerts off when I came to France' type of excuses. They also know how to interrogate a satnav to find the maximum speed travelled at, as well as the time and place.

Driving on the hard shoulder - 135 Euros, even if you do so with only one set of wheels.

MoT test required for mopeds later this year.

Any trace whatever of 'recreational' drugs - 1 year in prison and 4500 Euro fine. This will also apply to 'Do not drive or operate machinery' type drugs such as those for travel (sea)sickness, hay fever etc. Take care, or you may have an opportunity for a free one-year residential course in spoken French, with food provided!

One unused disposable breathalyser to be carried on all vehicles - obviously if you ever propose to use it, that means two, so leaving one unused unit.

Motorcyclists have been required to use dipped beams in daytime for some time, but car drivers are now 'Strongly recommended' to do so now that daytime running lights are becoming more common. Such practice is not common, bit it it is possible that this will be soon required by law, which could be the reason for 'Headlamps on' signs being removed from tunnel entrances.

Naturally, in the case of tourists, les gendarmes will use their discretion, and multiply the fine by whatever number comes into their heads! They are happy to accept all credit cards.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: New French Motoring Laws

Post by Devon Z »

Cross France off my list of places to visit :? Won't loose any sleep over it :lol:
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Is France near London somewhere ?
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I've only ever used it in passing to go somewhere nice,

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
mfckeith

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mfckeith »

YOU CAN UNDERSTAND WHY ALL THE ILLEGAL IMIGRANTS CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT OF FRANCE INTO ENGLAND :cheers
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

You have forgotten that you have to carry spare bulbs for lights and have a simple first aid kit. Also the breath test stuff is not legal yet. It should come in in July with police only giving warnings for not having one (or 2) until november 2012. The breath tests are available in all supermarkets for 1 or 2 euros.
Zedona

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zedona »

Adverse comments about France are ridiculous from driving enthusiasts. :dunce:
The roads are so much better than most in the UK and emptier, it's a great place
to drive. Meeting Gendarmes down the quiet country roads is very unlikely so avoid
main roads especially near towns. :rtm:
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I agree. I love driving the Z in France. I always want holidays these days where I can drive there, and with the price of petrol, France is very convienient as well as having perfect roads for top down driving. My wife has insisted on Dbrovnic this year, where ever that is. How I'm going to get the roadster through check in, I just dont know. In France 2 seater convertables are more apprieciated then in this country, with lots of people stopping to have a look and a chat. I've never had any trouble with the police there, which is more than I can say with England. We were in Lancashire last year and every village seemed to have speed cameras every half mile. And, could I say, illegal immigrants don't usually drive cars when they arrive here.
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

I live in France and love drivingthe Zed here. The roads are empty off the main drags and basically Gendame free. You do not tend to drive toofast anyhow as most roads (in Brittany anyhow) have deep ditches both sides so it focusses ones mind. The scenary is also fantastic and best enjoyed at a cruising speed.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I haven’t driven in France for a few years but when I last did, I was struck with the good quality of the roads and the smooth tarmac – great for motoring in a Z3. Also, they generally seemed a lot less crowded than roads in England. I’m glad to read from Mike that pedestrians now have “an absolute right of way”. When I spent some time in Paris in the 1980s, we used to joke that drivers seemed to accelerate towards you when you attempted to cross a road as a pedestrian!
mfcmick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mfcmick »

John Wilson wrote:I agree. I love driving the Z in France. I always want holidays these days where I can drive there, and with the price of petrol, France is very convienient as well as having perfect roads for top down driving. My wife has insisted on Dbrovnic this year, where ever that is. How I'm going to get the roadster through check in, I just dont know. In France 2 seater convertables are more apprieciated then in this country, with lots of people stopping to have a look and a chat. I've never had any trouble with the police there, which is more than I can say with England. We were in Lancashire last year and every village seemed to have speed cameras every half mile. And, could I say, illegal immigrants don't usually drive cars when they arrive here.

DON'T WORRY OUR GENEROUS BENEFITS SYSTYM SOON GETS THEM ON THE ROAD
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

[quote="Mike Fishwick"]I realise that most Brits have no regard for the laws of any other country - particularly France - [quote]
Thats a bit of a French attitude you have here Mike....

Anyhow, I'm in France nxt week assisting with their tourist trade-( me being the tourist) and hope to enjoy the roads to the best of there ability :D
If like the UK they deem that the uncluttered dual carriageway be 40kph, then I shall give it the repsect it deserves.

garyw
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Latest news today is the need to carry self breath testers in France will not commence until 1st March next year as they are like pocking horse Poo here.I managed to get some by luckily being in ROADY ( Halfords equivalent ) at the time the guy delivered 1 box of 50 to the store. By the time I left 5 mins later they had all gone !!!!
Anyhow no fines for nothaving them until next year when the odds are they will be delayed again.
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Plenty of stock here , Halfords have them stacked up- but at over a fiver for a pair, you can see why.

Wasn't a French official caught with his hand in the pocket of the mnaufacturers or something similar? they'd get on well in the UK :)

garyw
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

garyw wrote:Plenty of stock here , Halfords have them stacked up- but at over a fiver for a pair, you can see why.

Wasn't a French official caught with his hand in the pocket of the mnaufacturers or something similar? they'd get on well in the UK :)

garyw
The services just before the Chunnel are selling one for £8.99, so a fiver for two seems a bargain.
Pingu
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

The prices for the testers in the UK are just stupid. Admitedly it took a while but I got mine in France for 1 euro each !!!
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Hi everyone. Just seen this post.

There is two things to worry on french roads.

1st
Speed Cameras: Thaere are everywhere, fixed and mobile. When fixed (like on the motorway) it's easy to spot, there are big signs miles ahead and even if you get caught i'm not sure the bill bill be send in England! But be aware of the mobile ones... cops put them on the side of the road (often hiden, when you see it it's too late) and they stop you a few hundreds yards later. And in this case you have no choice but to pay! And if you are missing Yellow Jacket or anything required by the law the bill might increase!!

2nd
Unlike here, in France cops have the bad habits to stop you randomly on the side of the road to make sure you have all your papers (driving licence, MOT...), they have a good look at the car and most of the time thay ask you for a breath test (remember the limit in France is 0,5g/l). In England I think cops are using computers from their car who read your number plate and they stop you if there is a problem... not in France, so be aware!

And for the rest... it's quite similar to England, if you don't drive stupidly you should be all right!
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

What happens when you dont have an MOT because its less than 3 years old?
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

macca wrote:What happens when you dont have an MOT because its less than 3 years old?
As you don't need an MoT in that circumstance, I don't know.
What does happen? Is this a trick question from a scenario that you have experienced?
Perhaps they take you to the guillotines in Place de La Concorde :fade
Image :devil:
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

Titan wrote:
macca wrote:What happens when you dont have an MOT because its less than 3 years old?
As you don't need an MoT in that circumstance, I don't know.
What does happen? Is this a trick question from a scenario that you have experienced?
Perhaps they take you to the guillotines in Place de La Concorde :fade
I honestly don't know Titan, I used to drive a lot in France and I never got stopped!!
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Nothing!
In france there is no MOT for cars less than four years old. And then we need an MOT every two years!

No MOT for motorbikes (any sizes...) and no road taxes for anyone!
cooknerkid

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cooknerkid »

We drove the z3 down to Bordeaux in the summer- got all the Bits and Bobs accordingly before we went , but the biggest rip-off was the 'Headlamp Deflectors'' from the BMW Main dealer== I paid my £11.20 only to find when I opened it at home that I had just bought 2x pieces of sticky plastic each 2 inches square -Worth about 4p ( and they did give some wipes free !!!!!!) - When I questioned them they said well the later cars have movable lenses, which I took as meaning - you cant afford a new car, so pay up and shut up !!!! Anyway everyone should buy them elsewhere and get a proper deflector for half the price... Moan over--But roads were great to drive on, and the way everyone overtakes and pulls back in- Fantastic. :)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Titan wrote:Perhaps they take you to the guillotines in Place de La Concorde :fade
Just making you drive across it is bad enough. IMO, la Place de la Concorde is worse than l'Arc de Triomphe - chaos theory in action :shock: .
Pingu
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Pour la Francais

La fin de l'éthylotest obligatoire dans nos voitures, c'est maintenant. Selon les informations recueillies par Europe 1, c'est en substance le message qu'a fait passer le ministre de l'Intérieur, Manuel Valls, lors d'une conférence de presse pour la réinstallation du Conseil national de la sécurité routière

And for the Anglais

The end of the mandatory breathalyzer in our cars is coming. According to the information gathered by Europe 1, this is the message that the Minister of Interior, Manuel Valls, stated at a press conference for the relocation of the national road safety Council

Watch this space for more details and dates etc....
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Mike wrote:Pour la Francais

La fin de l'éthylotest obligatoire dans nos voitures, c'est maintenant. Selon les informations recueillies par Europe 1, c'est en substance le message qu'a fait passer le ministre de l'Intérieur, Manuel Valls, lors d'une conférence de presse pour la réinstallation du Conseil national de la sécurité routière

And for the Anglais

The end of the mandatory breathalyzer in our cars is coming. According to the information gathered by Europe 1, this is the message that the Minister of Interior, Manuel Valls, stated at a press conference for the relocation of the national road safety Council

Watch this space for more details and dates etc....
Hi Mike
Will watch this thread with interest.
Is it too far for you to join us on one of our days out on the Somme Battlefield Tour at the end of March/beginning of April 2013?
Would be good if we could meet up :D
Mike & Sandy
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Mike and Sandy
Yes I am watching that trip with interest. As long as it does not clash with us getting our boatson the water for the season we will be there. Check out www.day-boats.com
Mike
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Just a quick word... I was talking with a friend this week end and he told me that all the signs before the speeds cameras are being removed... so be aware! I don't think there is any danger with an English number plate but not sure!
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Signs only seem to be on the motorways. The main roads have cameras with no signs. Besides, they have to hide the camera behind something so for every sign disappearing there will be a new tree or a bush will be left to grow a bit.
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

They have replaced many of the warning sign in towns with a smile/unsmile type interactive signage... this is quite normally followed by a speed camera, so we treat them as warnings now.
I also noticed they have new high level speed cameras- similar to the type in the UK, so now you have to look high and low!!

Unless stopped by the feds, you're OK on British plates (at the moment)
However like many I try to respect the rules in towns.. there's plenty of other roads in the countryside to enjoy the straights and twisties..

garyw
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

The christmas push by the local plods in Redon is watching for those not stopping at STOP junctions. 90 euros if you are unlucky. Typically it tends to be the british who get caught as they are used to looking ahead and planning where togo. The French will stop, have a good lookabout, do some shopping, chat to the neighbours and then think about pulling out directly into traffic assuming "give way to the right" still applies.
I was taught not to stop at junctions unless necessary on the premise a moving car is more tricky to hit.
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

The French Ministre de l'Interieure, Manuel Valls, today announced that application of the law for compulsory carrying of breathalyser tests in cars has been postponed sine die. If stopped, however, the gendames might still ask you if you have some as it take a while for the news to filter down to their level. Ill post the formal notice of information once I locate it.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Here the rule is don't ever stop unless you hit something! Well, so it seems when dealing with what is commonly called a "black taxi". By definition, it's a taxi - usually a Toyota minivan with anything upwards of 20 people crammed inside and driven by a black driver. They have no clue about road rules, jump queues by going down the left turn only lanes until they hit the front of the queue at the traffic light, and then simply drive through inspite of a red light showing. If they can't find a road lane to drive on, they drive on the pavements, road verges, in the storm water ditches, or directly at oncoming traffic. Problem is, most of their operations have investment partners in the police and government, so no action is taken against them. As reasonably law abiding driver - some extra speed sometimes - it's become so customary, that whereas I used to be gobsmacked by this style of driving, now I notice it's becoming common amongst all drivers. I'm sure you would find it strange to be at a traffic light which has turned green for you, and you first have to check that someone hasn't decided to ignore the red light - for him - and keep going. I generally notice that 3 and sometimes 4 cars cross the intersections after the lights have turned red for them. On the plus side, if you're stopped by the police, a £.3.00 "tip" will see you on your way with no further expenses pending. Isn't it wonderful when the law enforcement bust gangs only when the criminals refuse to share in the takings. Yes, a colourful part of the world this is.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

More information on the breath test thingies.
This is the latest form gov powers. Not exactly cancelled but postponed until further notice.

"I postpone indefinitely the obligation to have a breathalyzer in cars. Manuel Valls decided without deciding on a decision :The National Council for Road Safety will decide on the usefulness of this measure. The decision of the Working Group on drink driving must make its conclusion by the end of February. An announcementon the controversialc breathalysers comes after a series of reversals on the issue since the adoption of the text by the previous government. It comes as several studies pointed out in the last few weeks several reliability problemswith the éthyoltests on the market.
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Well i didnt use mine from last year so i will just leave them in my euro bag, then if they change there mind again when i am over there i will already have it :D
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash