AA Renewal

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
hotred

Z3 roadster 3.0i

AA Renewal

Post by hotred »

Just happened to be looking through bank statement and noticed the figure for my AA membership renewal and was putting it mildly "gobsmacked"
A mere £329.71!!!
I phoned AA, original fee when I signed up in 2011 was £183, this was increased to £243.31 in 2012 (obviously slipping my attention) and now this year £329.71.
I think all will agree, taking the P**s, what are they playing at!!
I have now cancelled all cover and waiting for my full refund as renewal just taken place.
I have never had to call them so in my book renewal should go down not up and certainly not nearly double. As with everything these days if you renew automatically they start to take liberties, what is happening to this world, is there nothing that we take for granted that isn't a con. No explanation for increases just that when I first joined it was discounted.
If everyone cancelled when this sort of thing happens they would soon stop this fleecing of their customers, why do we put up with this sort of thing, same goes for most insurances as well, you are penalised for 'loyalty' not rewarded.
I'll contact RAC or another breakdown recommendations appreciated.
No wonder AA are branching out all over into new things I have been financing them and so have all the others, shame on them!!
Gary-D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: AA Renewal

Post by Gary-D »

Have a look what your bank offers on their current accounts, some offer premium breakdown cover i.e home start, relay, etc, family travel insurance, mobile phone insurance, the list goes on depending who you bank with for about £17 per month. just an alternative than taking breakdown cover from the AA/RAC.
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

my zed insurance is just about £100 cheaper than your AA quote .. :shock: :shock:
and I get full Europe breakdown insurance included ......
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

My AA renewal comes through every year at around £130 and I just give them acall and tell them I ante paying it!.. Then low and behold they drop it £50 :wink:

I know what you saying though you shouldn't have to ring and bargin with them.. It's ridiculous..

I've been with them 13 years.. Used them 3 times
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
reddyzeddygo

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by reddyzeddygo »

I've been with the AA for quite a number of years now with the 'automatic annual renewal'. My latest renewal was £196. I have the 'full works' on the levels of cover though, for both self and wife and this includes cover for us both when we're travelling as passengers in cars of other people. Last couple of years, the AA has given me the 'Home Start' element of cover free of charge to (in their words) 'reward me for my loyalty'.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

At £397.71, I at first thought you were talking about car insurance and not breakdown cover!

My AA membership is £63.93 (renewed just last month) and I just received my gold card. I have called them out just twice in the 18 years I have been a member. That is for roadside + complimentary homestart, so the big question is what level of cover are you on? For the higher levels of cover, the cost of fuel, hotels etc. has spiralled recently and I guess someone has to pay to cover these things.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

I pay around £100pa for family membership,myself,wife,son & daughter for breakdown & homestart. Was getting no-claims bonus but no mention this year. My son used it once when zed water pump failed and only then were we told, they only tow you a maximum of 15 miles.In summary, good service, reasonable cost but has limitations but I wouldn't be without cover.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

hotred wrote:Just happened to be looking through bank statement and noticed the figure for my AA membership renewal and was putting it mildly "gobsmacked"
A mere £329.71!!!

No wonder AA are branching out all over into new things I have been financing them and so have all the others, shame on them!!

As if alcohol wasn't dear enough, you have to pay through the nose to try and remain anonymous...

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Robert T wrote:
My AA membership is £63.93 (renewed just last month) and I just received my gold card. I have called them out just twice in the 18 years I have been a member..
so..... the equivalent of £575 per call out then, but what price peace of mind I suppose.

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

gookah wrote:so..... the equivalent of £575 per call out then, but what price peace of mind I suppose.
Well, not quite, as it started at something like £30 a year, but quite a lot. However as the two cars I drive are 14 and 54 years old respectively, I like the peace of mind. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

BMW Breakdown via Mondial is £148.
Excellent cover and service.
Usually a BMW technician in a 5 series touring turns up with lots of BMW parts etc.

I know, the Z wouldnt start today and there they were in a pretty short time and sorted it. Guy even remembered the car when he fitted a new battery about 2 years ago.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Robert T wrote:
gookah wrote:so..... the equivalent of £575 per call out then, but what price peace of mind I suppose.
Well, not quite, as it started at something like £30 a year, but quite a lot. However as the two cars I drive are 14 and 54 years old respectively, I like the peace of mind. :wink:

Cheers R.
but 18 years ago you could buy a house with £30....
well you know what I mean... that's why I said equivalent :D

Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Like was what said in the thread earlier,
I am billed anually and have to phone the AA have moan and they reduce the amount by £100
I do get annoyed but that is life now ,with introduction of internet prices
They took £375 from me, I got it reduced by £70 and refunded.
I have all the AA cover plus Vehicle insurance breakdown on three vehicles covering parts and
repair up to a certain amount
And this covers batteries as well :)
The first year i had to renew the two batteries in my van, I was not aware these were covered until the AA man said
The cost for the two batteries far exceeded £300 so that made continue with this cover
I have had to have five new batteries in various vehicles in last three years
Haviing classic vehicles you need cover
I am happy with the cover and cost
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Tesco Vouchers = Free Money :D (It's RAC, though)
Pingu
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Mines around 90 quid with the RAC which includes everything. Not too bad really as it would cost more than that to get towed off the motorway, although never had to use them :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
cooknerkid

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by cooknerkid »

I have renewed my Green Flag today, £138 p.a. covers National recovery/roadside/at home , chauffer service/hotel if unable to drive,It also covers me and Mrs Cooknerkid personally in any car we are in- As I have to put X5 reg in , but am covered if we go out in Z3....... I thought that was pricey originally before I read this thread, now I think its good value for money
petecossie

M coupe S50

Post by petecossie »

I've used the RAC for years as that with me working away a lot my wife would be covered in case of breakdown if I wasn't around. Both our cars have been covered for breakdowns away from home. We've used them 5 times in the last 14 years between us. Response has always been good and it's great to have that peace of mind.

My renewal was £115 this year, which seems quite reasonable going by what other people have been paying on here.

My latest callout was when the Z3 MC waterpump seized and snapped the fanbelt last year. The first guy with the van diagnosed it but could only tow me 10miles max, which was no good. He arranged a lowloader to complete recovery back to my local garage in Teesside (distance 56 miles) at no cost to me.
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

I got my AA renewal today for April 1st. It is £172.80, joint cover. It includes free homestart and relay for Mrs Ragtop and myself. With the relay it gives us peace of mind that they will transport our cars and passengers anywhere in the UK.
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Ragtop wrote:I got my AA renewal today for April 1st. It is £172.80, joint cover. It includes free homestart and relay for Mrs Ragtop and myself. With the relay it gives us peace of mind that they will transport our cars and passengers anywhere in the UK.
Interesting the BMW cover is Europe wide with a courtesy car included for £148
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

I've got 'Green Flag Personal Cover UK + Recovery Plus' for Mrs Mint and I. Covers; Roadside Assistance, Local and Long Distance vehicle recovery & Cover at home. This is for any vehicle we are in - not just the ones we own. Cost us £87 last year (July). I thought it was a good price then. Having read this thread I'm now sure.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Free with my bank account plus phone, travel and some other bits and bobs. Swmbo damaged her iPhone last year and it even covered that :grin:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

Same for me with bank, it is properAA cover with home start. used the travel insurance and AA a few times.

Would definitely recommend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

Ragtop wrote:I got my AA renewal today for April 1st. It is £172.80, joint cover. It includes free homestart and relay for Mrs Ragtop and myself. With the relay it gives us peace of mind that they will transport our cars and passengers anywhere in the UK.
After reading all the comments on this thread, I rang the AA this morning to say I was unhappy with the renewal price. Without any quibble, they reduced it by £37.80 down to £135. :D

In the quote above I forgot to mention we both have personal cover for any car we are travelling in.
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Zedonist wrote:
Phil wrote:
Interesting the BMW cover is Europe wide with a courtesy car included for £148
Phil, does this cover vehicles over ten years old, I have a similar policy, but the Europe cover excludes cars over ten?
There is nothing in my documents about the 10 year age restriction. I understand that when the car has 100,000 on the clock no renewal will be offered.

hotred

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by hotred »

Well this all goes to show that at least the AA are consistent.
They consistently over charge for renewals and consistently charge different rates and consistently discount them when they know they've been had.
So I am going to be consistent and consistently tell them to shove it where the sun doesn't shine.
Green Flag here I come, its just for the Zed so don't need any car cover.