Selling my CatD M Roadster

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
chocolatejumper

M roadster S52

Selling my CatD M Roadster

Post by chocolatejumper »

Hi

I am trying to sell my lovely z3 m roadster and have just discovered that it is a Cat D. I had no idea when i bought it 4 years ago so I have no paperwork to tell me what happened to the car. All I know is that I have had it serviced every year and my bmw mechanic says the car is in excellent condition

Does anybody have any idea how much I should now knock off my asking price?

Would appreciate any advice

Thank you
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Selling my CatD M Roadster

Post by Gazza »

Hard to say really, I have seen Cat D's at about 2/3rds of market value
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
chocolatejumper

M roadster S52

Thank you for replying

Does t make things worse that I have no paperwork to tell me why the car is cat d?
Russ1959

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Russ1959 »

chocolatejumper wrote:Hi

I am trying to sell my lovely z3 m roadster and have just discovered that it is a Cat D. I had no idea when i bought it 4 years ago so I have no paperwork to tell me what happened to the car. All I know is that I have had it serviced every year and my bmw mechanic says the car is in excellent condition

Does anybody have any idea how much I should now knock off my asking price?

Would appreciate any advice

Thank you

Do you have a link to the advert?
2005 Toledo blue Z4 Roadster
chocolatejumper

M roadster S52

Hi

This is the link on auto trader at the moment. I have also just discovered that auto trader have called it a coupe when it is a roadster.

I will be ringing them in the morning

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p
Tofty81

M coupe S50

Post by Tofty81 »

Hi there
As a potential buyer considering a purchase at the moment and having kept an eye on prices recently, there have been a fair number of what look like good examples selling for around the £6-6.5k mark with similar miles.
My humble opinion is that the value of a cat D version is probably around £5k. I'm sure others will be on to give you their thoughts.
It looks like a nice example from the advert though, so I'm sure you'll receive some interest.
Good luck with the sale. :wink:
chocolatejumper

M roadster S52

Thank you very much for your opinion. I have not seen any with mileage as low as mine selling for as low as £6500 so I am hoping that I will get a bit more than £5000, especially as mine is black which seems to be quite rare but. Guess time will tell

Cross fingers
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

It does not state in the advert that your car is a CAT D.

Regards

Peter
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Is there any way you can trace the history/what damage was done? That way you can adjust the price accordingly.
Tofty81

M coupe S50

Post by Tofty81 »

I think you could definitely hope for more than £5k. Try and achieve as much as you can if you're not in a hurry to sell.

Whilst you may not have seen any with similar miles advertised around the £6-6.5k mark, what they're advertised at and what they actually achieve if the sellers are needing to sell are generally two different things entirely.

If you want serious interest in you're car, I would drop the price to £6.5k and obviously acknowledge in the advert it is a cat D, as that should be made clear, but be expecting to haggle. Black on black is arguably worth a little more than some other colours as it appears to be a popular choice. Hope that's helpful. :drive
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

TR4man wrote:It does not state in the advert that your car is a CAT D.

Regards

Peter

It would be wise to list it as Cat D, especially as you have mentioned the fact on a public forum prior to its sale.

How did you discover it is a Cat D ?

I would have thought your Insurance company would have mentioned this when you insured the car, premiums are usually higher for Cat registered cars.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Yep, I wouldn't sell it without mentioning it.

It's important to check a vehicle thoroughly before you buy.

Hope it's not a cut n shut :cry:

The 'BEAST' 666
theskippies

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by theskippies »

Hi just a note (been stung before so know the legalities)
You aren't allowed to use very good or excellent condition when selling a cat d or any other cat loss. Not unless you clearly state its a cat d.TBH cat d doesn't have the stigma it used to have, I'd state it on the ad
Mcjazz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mcjazz »

If it were mine, I would try to contact previous owner/owners and politely enquire about damage / repairs and use google etc to look for any info relating to the car. In parallel I would get an AA report or equivalent on the car for future buyer' s piece of mind and to show any repairs were professionally done and not done on the cheap. Would also detail the car to ensure it looked its very best be upfront about the Cat D. Yes you will take a hit as you did not pay for a Cat D car I guess but I think you can limit your losses here with a bit of effort.

Moray
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Looks a nice car cosmetically but I would not be happy when I found out it was a cat D even if that was on first phone call as sends all the wrong messages. The advert really needs to clearly state cat D.

I presume you have found out from a perspective purchaser who did the correct checks ? Which you did not do when you purchased ?

If you bought from a dealer you may have some redress even after 4 years but if you bought privately then no chance. Either way its a fact you will now lose more money on resale no matter how nice the car is.

As already suggested contacting previous owners for evidence of the insurance write off could make a big difference as it may have been a relatively minor accident but that will only be the difference between being able to sell it at 2/3 value or less as the cat D will always affect value. With no evidence people will either always assume the worst and not buy or us it to hammer the price down in any event.

You now have to give people a choice assuming yours is in good nick or paying £7k for a car with no history or £5kish for a car with an insurance history. £1,000 difference will not swing it IMHO.

Depends if you need to sell or are happy to hold out for a while.

I've talked to plenty of potential Z3m roady and coupe owners who have given up as they would never entertain a cat D or C and could not find good examples. It's a real shame assuming the car was well sorted but a fact of life. Lesson learned etc....

But please clearly state it's a cat D as it will only cause problems if you don't :oops:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
chocolatejumper

M roadster S52

Hi everyone

Thank you all so much for your replies

The advert you are all referring to, is the advert I put on auto trader before I found out it was Cat D. I only found this out on Saturday and will be calling auto trader today to edit the advert

I have no intention to try to mislead anyone

Unfortunately I only have the name of the person who I bought the car from and he was a private seller and he did not own the car when the accident happened

Thank you mcjazz for your advice about googling my car and also getting an aa report. I will look in to both of these ASap

For those who have asked, I had the car serviced before I bought it and nothing negative was picked up and my insurance company also said nothing. I literally found out two days ago when a potential buyer did a hot check on auto trader and I am gutted
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

If I wanted one to drive every day I would have a look. There's to much stigma with cat D & C. Alot that have been repaired correctly will be as good as new if it was light damage..

Still stands that the owner you bought from needs stringing up for selling It as a straight car tho..

Good luck with the sale
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
luckycolourblue

M roadster S52

Post by luckycolourblue »

It does look a nice car, sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation!

I would leav the price at 75 unless your in a hurry.

Cat listing sensitivity is a bit like mileage sensitivity. I personally think your car has high miles and the cat d too. But that's just my personal opinion.

As i said, leave it at 75, state that its a cat listed car and see what interest you get.

You could have the inspection done but that will cost you so leave it up to the purchaser.

Wishing you best of luck though
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Z3cade wrote:If I wanted one to drive every day I would have a look. There's to much stigma with cat D & C. Alot that have been repaired correctly will be as good as new if it was light damage..

Still stands that the owner you bought from needs stringing up for selling It as a straight car tho..

Good luck with the sale
That's fine so long as you know exactly what repair work was done and to what standard. Unfortunately in this case no one has a clue so you have to set the selling price accordingly and buyer beware.

Probably the worst nightmare scenario that you only find this out when you come to sell and what's worse could have been driving around in a dangerous vehicle. Hopefully this won't be the case.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

luckycolourblue wrote:It does look a nice car, sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation!

Cat listing sensitivity is a bit like mileage sensitivity. I personally think your car has high miles and the cat d too. But that's just my personal opinion.

As i said, leave it at 75, state that its a cat listed car and see what interest you get.

You could have the inspection done but that will cost you so leave it up to the purchaser.

75 pounds, I'm interested.
8-)

All jokes aside I'm gutted for you.

Hope you get a happy ending sir.

The 'BEAST' 666
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Badman gee wrote:
luckycolourblue wrote:It does look a nice car, sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation!

75 pounds, I'm interested.
8-)

All jokes aside I'm gutted for you.

Hope you get a happy ending sir.

Err - I think the owner is a lady :head:
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Oh I must apologise! :lol:

The 'BEAST' 666
gedo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gedo »

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Personally speaking I think your M is one of the nicest I've seen so you may be lucky and sell it irrespective of the Cat D status, although I would expect you to have to reduce the price accordingly.
I'm not a fan of some of the interior colour combos that lots of M's seem to have so the plain black interior is a big bonus in my book (and other buyers no doubt).

When buying my Z3 I bought some credits with HPI Check. 1st time I'd ever done this but I'd certainly recommend it as it can save a lot of heartache later...although I'm sure I don't need to tell you this now :head:
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

chocolatejumper wrote: Thank you mcjazz for your advice about googling my car and also getting an aa report. I will look in to both
For those who have asked, I had the car serviced before I bought it and nothing negative was picked up and my insurance company also said nothing. I literally found out two days ago when a potential buyer did a hot check on auto trader and I am gutted

I wouldn't rely on a check performed by someone else with one of these online quick hpi check places as theu have been known to be inaccurate at times. I would perform your own investigation maybe contacting the official HPI people and paying for a full search which may identify if there is indeed anything to worry about.

Don't worry too much yet as there is still hope. !
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Dee4

M roadster S50

Post by Dee4 »

I recently sold my VX220 which was a cat D. These are more commonly known for this than M Roadsters though.

My experience was that as long as your honest and upfront from the start it isnt a major issue. As long as the price reflects this. Most poeple asked me if an independant inspection had been done. I offered on many occasions to do this for perspective buyers at their cost which they were happy with but in the end sold the car quicker than i planned so didnt need to go down this route

Chris
dlp

Not specified

Post by dlp »

I see the advert still doesn't mention Cat D, and no photos show the registration so no potential buyer can text the reg etc...

Suspicious if not illegal?
E85 3.0i Roadster
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

dlp wrote:I see the advert still doesn't mention Cat D, and no photos show the registration so no potential buyer can text the reg etc...

Glad to see the cat d police are on the job.:grin:
M

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
dlp

Not specified

Post by dlp »

These cars, especially in that colour combination are rare, with that low mileage I would expect it to be selling for closer to the £9-10K mark....that the owner advertised it at £7500 straight away apparently before realizing it was cat d raises alarm bells with me.

I have ticked the report box on the ad which will alert Autotrader that it is a Cat D car, I think that's only fair.
E85 3.0i Roadster
chocolatejumper

M roadster S52

dlp wrote:
I see the advert still doesn't mention Cat D, and no photos show the registration so no potential buyer can text the reg etc...

I am a very honest person who found out last week that my car is Cat D and I am gutted which is why I started this post to get advice so I do take offence to the comments from dlp

I have asked auto trader to remove my advert while I investigate my situation and I will then be placing another advert with a reduced price and info on the cat d. Auto trader have told me this will be done this week.

It is however, not illegal to not state the cat d on the advert

I placed the car in at £7500 because this is in line with what price others are for sale on auto trader. I think you are very wrong about the idea of my car being worth£10,000. I paid less than that 4 years ago!!!

I believe this forum is for advice and conversation rather than slander!

Thank you
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

You are doing your best to correct the ad on Autotrader, that counts for a lot in my book :bow
Gazza

ImageImage
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

dlp wrote:I see the advert still doesn't mention Cat D, and no photos show the registration so no potential buyer can text the reg etc...

A bit unnecessary, when the op has obviously only just found out. Not a great way to introduce yourself to the forum, in my opinion.
Mcjazz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mcjazz »

I thought it was pretty upfront of chocolatejumper coming onto this usually very friendly / helpfull forum asking for advice in the first place to be honest.

Moray
Russ1959

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Russ1959 »

I have had several PM's from chocolatejumper about her car as I'm interested in it, providing I can sell my Crossfire.

She is doing all she can to rectify the matter.
2005 Toledo blue Z4 Roadster
zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

As mentioned by others, finding out the exact nature of the Cat D classification can help a lot with the sale.

For example, suppose the car is Cat D due to being stolen recovered. No damage (perhaps) to the vehicle but it took a long time to recover so was 'written off' by the insurers.

Makes it more attractive to a potential purchaser than one which has accident damage.

It would be interesting to find out if there is any official way to access insurance records relating to a particular car which is Cat D.
1999 black M Roadster, AC Schnitzer hoops & Type III wheels.
luckycolourblue

M roadster S52

Back up at 6300.... Off to sweet talk the wife!

Did we find out what he listing was for or do we know anyone around that area that could inspect? (Obviously at cost)
chocolatejumper

M roadster S52

Hi

After much investigation and research, I have now relisted my car at a reduced price

Unfortunately I have been unable to find out what happened to the car to make it Cat D but a bmw dealership told me that the parts in 2002 on the roadster would of been very expensive so the insurance company could have refused to pay for any reason and there is no reason to assume it would of been anything serious

I have enquired about the cost of getting an inspection done. The bmw dealership in my town will do it for a couple of hundred and there is also a good bmw specialist garage near by that will do it for a similar price with a bit more detail.

Here is the link to my advert, if anyone is interested. Thank you

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... 98/1480571
luckycolourblue

M roadster S52

Thank you for the info, I live in Deutschland so could be of big help.

I will carry on the discussion at home and look into my options.

Again thanks

G