Secondary Air Pump

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Secondary Air Pump

Post by OXO »

Hi, as many of you here know, I have JP spec 2.2i, 2001.

It's been in storage since last July. I just fired it up and it's got a check engine light, and CEL code P0414.

This is "Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve A Circuit Shorted". I am guesing that the pump is jammed, and therefore shorting out the supply.

I think this will be fixed if I just unplug the pump.. but where to find it? Can anybody help?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Secondary Air Pump

Post by Brian H »

My initial thoughs were this: -

Image Emission control-air pump - BMW parts catalog

The description is emissions air pump though?
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

There was an old thread ( sorry, can't remember where!) on here where someone made a blanking plate so that the whole assembly can be binned, possibly gookah? if my poor memory is right !
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

pedro20001 wrote:There was an old thread ( sorry, can't remember where!) on here where someone made a blanking plate so that the whole assembly can be binned, possibly gookah? if my poor memory is right !

Wow, what a memory!!

The pump was noisy on my son's car so I disconnected it. However doing that alone will cause problems as it is meant to pump cold fresh air into the exhaust on startup via the diaphragm valve (Pictured)

This valve opens when the pump runs to let the air in and reduce emissions on startup, (USA requirement).
If the pump is disconnected or seized, The diaphragm valve still opens but actually allows the hot exhaust gasses out, and melts the hoses. hence I made a blanking plate to go on the manifold under the diaphragm valve. This way no gasses out and no useless noisy pump.

Blank fitted and then diaphragm valve bolted back on to hold it in place..
By the way , it's been through several MOT's since then with no emission problems.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
paul.s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paul.s »

oops we just unplugged ours as the pump was noisey :oops: but we did this when we first got it around 7 years ago don't think anything has melted id better check :?
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

Thanks all, I'll try and disconnect it later and report back.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

I still can't find it. In the picture above I don't have that black pump looking thing on the left. I have a huge washer bottle.
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

And here a pic..

bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

A search on RealOEM suggests that a 2.2i LHD vehicle has a secondary air pump (which should be located at the front of the car where your washer bottle is) but that the RHD version doesn't have the air pump. That's curious!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

bowei001 wrote:A search on RealOEM suggests that a 2.2i LHD vehicle has a secondary air pump (which should be located at the front of the car where your washer bottle is) but that the RHD version doesn't have the air pump. That's curious!
Aren't they only used in the USA to give the impression that emissions are lower than they are by diluting the exhaust with air (thereby not actually reducing the emissions at all), and all US cars are, of course, LHD. Or are they used in other territories?
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

It's weird that it looks like there is no pump, but the ECU has a pump driver error.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Just a thought, but the zeds are pre-wired for just about all options, so I would expect the wiring harness for the solenoid that operates the vacuum valve for the secondary air pump to be present on your car even if you have neither the valve or the pump. Have a look for damage to the wiring loom in that area, in particular look for any loose connectors - a short either between the pins of the connector or damage to the sheathing of the wires could both be culprits.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
OXO

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by OXO »

I left the car out in the sun all day with the boot and bonnet open, to get some air in and dry out any condensation.

On with the scan tool, and reset the DTC.

Quick run round the lanes, and it's fixed. No lights, and it's running lovely..

So there... :roll:
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

glad to hear its better; my moms 1999 2.0 had one, my 2001 2.2 doesn't !!!
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

gookah wrote:
pedro20001 wrote:There was an old thread ( sorry, can't remember where!) on here where someone made a blanking plate so that the whole assembly can be binned, possibly gookah? if my poor memory is right !

Wow, what a memory!!

The pump was noisy on my son's car so I disconnected it. However doing that alone will cause problems as it is meant to pump cold fresh air into the exhaust on startup via the diaphragm valve (Pictured)

This valve opens when the pump runs to let the air in and reduce emissions on startup, (USA requirement).
If the pump is disconnected or seized, The diaphragm valve still opens but actually allows the hot exhaust gasses out, and melts the hoses. hence I made a blanking plate to go on the manifold under the diaphragm valve. This way no gasses out and no useless noisy pump.

Blank fitted and then diaphragm valve bolted back on to hold it in place..
By the way , it's been through several MOT's since then with no emission problems.
I might need you to make me up another one of these please, ASAP :roll:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal