do people prefer?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

do people prefer?

Post by spanwah »

do people prefer the hoops by themselves or a wind deflector fitted?
took my wind deflector off and have to say i like the hoops by themselves looks good!
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: do people prefer?

Post by sirius-c »

lemme know if you wanna sell your wind deflector :D
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by spanwah »

sirius-c wrote:lemme know if you wanna sell your wind deflector :D

:lol: see which side of the fence your sitting :lol:
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

spanwah wrote:
sirius-c wrote:lemme know if you wanna sell your wind deflector :D

:lol: see which side of the fence your sitting :lol:

HaHa :wink:
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Hoops do look good on there own but if you are driving any distance or at any speed you need some form of wind deflector.
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by spanwah »

Brian H wrote:Hoops do look good on there own but if you are driving any distance or at any speed you need some form of wind deflector.
brian i have to say i did put the wind deflector back on though :wink:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Deflector on. Makes driving more comfortable...Deflector off...for pure looks. So, that defines the deflector...it's a driving / motion requirement...should be removed when stationary.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Southernboy wrote:Deflector on. Makes driving more comfortable...Deflector off...for pure looks. So, that defines the deflector...it's a driving / motion requirement...should be removed when stationary.... :D
I agree about the on/off depending on what you're doing. i don't have hoops, but do have the wind deflector that hinges back out of the way. I tend to leave it down unless I'm driving for a period of time at speed. I prefer the look of the car when it's out of sight, but the practicality of driving at speed does really necessitate it.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Blades...you really need to put the hoops on...makes the car complete top side...
"Normal is overrated"

Batchem1

M roadster S50

Post by Batchem1 »

Interesting debate - deflector on or off.
In this last few days of sunny weather I've tried both options and from a comfort/driving point of view I find very little difference. It may be that my height (6'3") seats me above the wind deflector's benefits - anybody else have a similar experience?
So, I'm really down to the aesthetic considerations - which means no deflector for me!
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Have to agree on that one. I find there is not a lot of difference with the wind deflecter on or off, and I am 5 foot 9!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Maybe you're not driving fast enough... :D Try something over 70MPH...the deflector makes a substantial difference.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Southernboy wrote:Maybe you're not driving fast enough... :D Try something over 70MPH...the deflector makes a substantial difference.. :wink:
Confirming that 110mph with the roof down without a wind deflector is...unpleasant.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

I have a question on the subject if I may. I have hoops but was wondering what is the best type of wind deflector ? I have seen home made deflectors from plastic and I've seen mesh type so what's the best ?
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

We have both the mesh and perspex one. In summer we use the perspex with the chrome hoops and in winter we use the mesh with the oem hoops as it does reduce the wind better but on hot days its nice to have that bit extra breeze

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

Batchem1 wrote:Interesting debate - deflector on or off.
In this last few days of sunny weather I've tried both options and from a comfort/driving point of view I find very little difference. It may be that my height (6'3") seats me above the wind deflector's benefits - anybody else have a similar experience?
So, I'm really down to the aesthetic considerations - which means no deflector for me!

Well I am the opposite in the sense of height being only 5' 2" I am below the top of the seat, I have no hoops or wind deflector and have no problem with comfort whilst driving at any speed.

I do find having the windows down stops wind buffering around the cab as has been demonstrated on occasion when I have left a receipt or similar on the passenger seat and it blows around like being in a vortex until I put the windows down.
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Drove my car for three months without a wind deflector, it seemed to suffer from a lot of buffeting above 40 MPH caused by the vortex of air that builds up behind the car. Fitted the mesh style deflector to my OE hoops and it made a big difference for me. You still feel the rush of air overhead as you drive along, but lose the unpleasant buffeting/turbulence pushing air forwards. I now never take it off.
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

snoops wrote:Well I am the opposite in the sense of height being only 5' 2" I am below the top of the seat, I have no hoops or wind deflector and have no problem with comfort whilst driving at any speed.

I do find having the windows down stops wind buffering around the cab as has been demonstrated on occasion when I have left a receipt or similar on the passenger seat and it blows around like being in a vortex until I put the windows down.
Talk about Vortex, Snoops, while we were motoring 'top down' on the Autoroute in France in the silver Zed about 5 years ago, the tax disc blew up out of the plastic wallet on the windscreen, straight down into the footwell. :o We can't imagine how hard it would have been, if we had to prove in France that we were taxed!! We fastened it back in the holder, that had warped with the heat of the sun, using a plaster out of the first aid kit!! :lol: It was so hot on hols that year, we did not mind the draft in the cockpit! 8-)
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

EnthuZiaZT wrote:
snoops wrote:Well I am the opposite in the sense of height being only 5' 2" I am below the top of the seat, I have no hoops or wind deflector and have no problem with comfort whilst driving at any speed.

Talk about Vortex, Snoops, while we were motoring 'top down' on the Autoroute in France in the silver Zed about 5 years ago, the tax disc blew up out of the plastic wallet on the windscreen, straight down into the footwell. :o We can't imagine how hard it would have been, if we had to prove in France that we were taxed!! We fastened it back in the holder, that had warped with the heat of the sun, using a plaster out of the first aid kit!! :lol: It was so hot on hols that year, we did not mind the draft in the cockpit! 8-)
I can imagine there was a bit of a panicky quick quick grab the tax disk followed by a phew that was close... :shock: occasionally I have thought OMG what's that blowing around thinking all my £50 notes had fell out of my purse :D
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Time to buy a quality tax disc holder mike!

The 'BEAST' 666
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I have been thinking of making a perspex deflector, but was wondering about drilling it out to allow a bit of air through to give the same propeties as the mesh one. Has this been done before.?
paul.s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paul.s »

EnthuZiaZT wrote:

we drove from zeebruges to perpignon in one day 900 miles at 120mph for most of them with no wind deflector and had no problems we didn't bother with it as both me and swmbo think they make not a blind bit of difference. wearing a cap tho is a different matter :lol:
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

John Wilson wrote:I have been thinking of making a perspex deflector, but was wondering about drilling it out to allow a bit of air through to give the same propeties as the mesh one. Has this been done before.?

Would you not get a whistling noise wind rushing through the holes ?
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Rafolian wrote:Have to agree on that one. I find there is not a lot of difference with the wind deflecter on or off, and I am 5 foot 9!
Wow - We notice the difference instantly when the deflector is down.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."