What do you think?

Regards

Peter
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Is this advert a scam??

Post by Robert T »

Almost certainly, judging by the "email me directly" and the difference in names between the seller and contact email!

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

DAVE P

M coupe S50

Post by DAVE P »

Its been advertised about 5 times with different seller details and pulled after a few hours every time.
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Ive seen this kind of thing a few times while ive been looking for a car - pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the scam? if they don't have the car to show to people, I don't geddit?
2.8 sadly departed, currently between zeds.....
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Usually they tell you that the cars is overseas but they will send it back to the UK at their expense if you buy it. You just have to pay the money into their bank account but hey will refund it fully if you don't like the car.

Of course the car never arrives and you they become "difficult" to contact .
ZedAintDead

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ZedAintDead »

Just googled the email address and they have a whole heap of things for sale on different websites all with the same story, I'd certainly be very sceptical.
ZedAintDead

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ZedAintDead »

Seems I'm a little slow off the mark, paying too much attention to the Formula1! :oops:
Batchem1

M roadster S50

Post by Batchem1 »

Sorry, folks, I don't mean to be confrontational - but what does it matter if a seller has 2 different email addresses or has other cars for sale?
If I were looking for a Z3, as I was until quite recently, why wouldn't I look at the positives in this ad (the single photo looks OK, the claimed FSH, the relatively low mileage, etc) and contact the seller?
It would surely become apparent quite quickly if (a) the car exists, (b) the seller is genuine and (c) the car is worth a look or not. I certainly trawled through enough ads before I bought mine to understand that there are both good and bad Z3 sellers out there, as there are in most aspects of life.
By all means let's enjoy our cars, but let's not be too precious about owning them.
Batchem1

M roadster S50

Post by Batchem1 »

freds dad wrote:Usually they tell you that the cars is overseas but they will send it back to the UK at their expense if you buy it. You just have to pay the money into their bank account but hey will refund it fully if you don't like the car.

Of course the car never arrives and you they become "difficult" to contact .
Well, I'm sorry, but if anybody looking for a Z3 falls for this sort of scam they're going to be turned over in so many other ways. That doesn't make the scam any more acceptable, but it does mean that perhaps we all need to be a little more worldly-wise.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Batchem1 wrote:Sorry, folks, I don't mean to be confrontational - but what does it matter if a seller has 2 different email addresses or has other cars for sale?
If I were looking for a Z3, as I was until quite recently, why wouldn't I look at the positives in this ad (the single photo looks OK, the claimed FSH, the relatively low mileage, etc) and contact the seller?
It would surely become apparent quite quickly if (a) the car exists, (b) the seller is genuine and (c) the car is worth a look or not. I certainly trawled through enough ads before I bought mine to understand that there are both good and bad Z3 sellers out there, as there are in most aspects of life.
By all means let's enjoy our cars, but let's not be too precious about owning them.
But its a scam so there is nothing to be confrontational about :head:

We've had some fun with these over the years :D but they soon get boring as there are so many of them. You can usually get them as far as confirming a false bank transfer and even then they still cling onto the belief you may pay them :twisted:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Mike, I don't normally comment on these things, but even I smelt a rat the moment I read it. For one thing the car is ridiculously cheap (coupes normally command quite a price premium over roadsters), the whole email me directly thing is a classic prelude to a scam and the seller purports to be female (Josephine), but the email address is for a Susan - now it is not impossible that it could be a female owner, but I find it highly unlikely that it would be two female sellers!

It may be true that some people don't have a clue how to phrase an advert, but this is a prime one to get Jonttt in to have a little game with the seller - I'd bet on the seller having moved abroad recently and is after a quick sale, etc., etc. We should frame this one and use it as an example of what to avoid!

Edit: And Jonttt has beaten me to it - I should add, that I wrote that bit before I saw his reply!

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

It's common sense at the end of the day, the photo has probably been lifted from somewhere else, only one image :roll:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

Deefinitely a scam, it's been done with this car many times and is well documented here.
jessicafay28

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jessicafay28 »

It is a scam. The links invalid because pistonheads have removed it.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I expect they put these sales on the Pistonheads (or similar) system to run over a weekend when the Pistonheads staff are off-duty for the weekend. :roll: As Pistonheads say very clearly on their anti-fraud notes, an ad that asks for contact outside of the Pistonheads system alleging a problem receiving emails via Pistonheads, "this is a scam".