Subwoofer port

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Subwoofer port

Post by Lazeodoom »

I have an 8" Rainbow 'Vanadium' subwoofer set up using the parcel cubby behind/between the seats, I think there used to be links to a guide to making the enclosure on the boards somewhere.

Anyway, although the sound is of high quality it isn't as deep as I would like, or maybe, having had the setup for so long I've just got used to it...

Either way, as I understand it, if I got some air into the enclosure, perhaps by cutting into the 'pop-out' at the front of the parcel cubby, this would help... Or am I wrong and would that just leave me with a dirty great hole doing nothing?
nash

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Subwoofer port

Post by nash »

Porting it will certainly allo for the bass to travel into the cabin, you need a tight setup behind it so that the sound doesnt get lost the boot, I did it on one of my old mx5s a few years back, and tidied up the hole with a vibe port
Reality is an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

Thanks for the reply, however what is specifically meany by 'tight setup' behind? Also, would the port be front or rear facing for best effect, knowing that the front of the parcel rack is quite weak material, would it be better rear facing, assuming that the port is there to allow more air in, rather than for sound out?
Cecil_87

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Cecil_87 »

Thanks for sharing.
Cecil_87

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Cecil_87 »

Thanks for sharing the post!