Alpine White III 2.8 Eaton M62 build

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Can't wait to see this finished, great job so far :thumb:
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Good progress :) keep it up!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

To quote Ronald McDonald
I'm lovin' it
:D
Pingu
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

pingu wrote:To quote Ronald McDonald
I'm lovin' it
:D
Lol Thanks for all the comments again everyone. Ilways look forward to seeing what everyone thinks! I've just got my AP Coilovers and polybushes fitted today amongst cleaning all the wiring in the engine bay and connecting everything up. Just got to paint the calipers and put on the dimpled and grooved discs :squeeze:
Last edited by Daz3 on Sat 03 Sep, 2011 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

What color you going with on the calipers?
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Just sticking with black don't want anything too in your face :D
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Good choice :) looking forward to things coming back together!
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Just received my new wheels i was thinking about getting some type 2 split rims but they were going a bit out my price range for what i wanted to spend, maybe i'll get some one day. Anyway these are what i got some alutec type 2 replicas they are a two piece split rim and are 10j rear and 8.5j front so hoping to get some real stance when the cars back in one piece. Can anyone help me with a tool to split the rims as i'm taking out the centres to paint them a different colour. Its a spline type bit with 10 sides i think :lol:

Excuse the rubbish :D
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Nice, they look good :) there is a hefty amount of dish on the back as well so gets my vote. What color centers did you decide on?

I can't help on the tool though, a friend of mine split some bbs rxII's which had similar style bolts, ill ask him what he used
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Daz

IIRC Halfords of all places do a socket with multiple splines. Maybe worth a try?

HTH
Last edited by Brian H on Sat 10 Sep, 2011 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

Nice hoops :)
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Wow they look cool 8-) where did you get them from?
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Cheers everyone

Shanty I decided to go with sparkling graphite code A22 should look good I'm also spraying the numberplate panel on the boot this colour along with the kidney grilles and m side grille fins.
As for the tool I've found out it's quite rare an m8 10 point spline bit which so far I've only found one company selling for about £50

Devon z I bought them from a company on eBay called trading desk they where a set they didn't know they had in storage bit of luck I found them really.

Cheers Daz
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Daz3 wrote:Cheers everyone

Devon z I bought them from a company on eBay called trading desk they where a set they didn't know they had in storage bit of luck I found them really.

Cheers Daz
Very lucky, I never seen those reps in a staggered setup, can't wait to see them on the car.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
1955DavidR

Z3 roadster 2.0

Wheels

Post by 1955DavidR »

Before you go to the trouble of buying the tool are you sure that they will split?. I have had several sets of replicas in the past and currently have DTM's on the Z with all of them the bolts are only there for decoration and the rims dont split, discovered this when I went to have a set of AMG replicas refurbed and the guy laughed when I asked if he was going to split them, only with a hacksaw was his reply!!
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Lol no they are genuine split rims :wink:
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: My 2.8 Alpine White Project New Rims

Post by Daz3 »

Thought I should update this thread on here its been a while so sorry if its a long post :D

Picked up some AC Schnitzer front splitters from Liam (z3cade)

Little bit more of an update finally got my new spray booth up last weekend so decided to get cracking

This thing is awesome as soon as the sun is on it, it reaches 26 degrees and it also keeps the flies and dust out :D

I've set about the bonnet flatting it down to remove all stonechips then given an etch primer on bare metal followed by 2 coats of high build primer. This has then been blocked down to make sure its flat. Pretty much done the same on the sills except they've had 4 coats of primer so far.

The pics above show the panels with a guide coat so you can see where to flat. Just need to get some more primer now to give them another 2 coats, followed by some more flatting then on with the alpine white ;)

Had some pressies arrive today :D

While the weather was half decent at the weekend I managed to get the interior plastics painted. The blue I had mixed up is a bit shinier and darker than I wanted but hey ho, I did ask for matte but it'll do as zedfest is coming fast! I put the dash put back into the car tonight and took a few pics of what the console will look like.
I've also extended the wires for the on board computer to relocate it at the rear of the ashtray, next thing is to cut the wires for the asc switch and put a new block on to match up with the facelift switch. The guages I have fitted are prosport and are oil temp and pressure, and a voltmeter.

Few more pics changed the windscreen surround colour to sparkling graphite too :D It won't be ready for zedfest so I'm a bit dissapointed. I now have to replace all the steel brakehoses, after trying to remove the flexi's to fit braided lines I found they where no good. Calipers all painted black, new discs front and back with new handbrake shoes and cables. Wired in all the guages voltmeter, oil temp and pressure along with mounting them in the console which has now been re-dyed. Also got her running couldn't believe it when she fired first turn of the key after not running for a year even with manky fuel.

Sorry about all the pics some of them aren't great quality in poor light.

Couple more

The paints come up great after flatting and polish still alot to do spent hours just on the bonnet and it's still not done yet. I'll get a pic up of the door reflection for you.

Got a few more panels on :D

Couple more pics, we're getting there now hopefully have the bootlid on tomorrow soon be ready for a meet :D

Picture quality isn't great it was getting dark and my camera doesn't like it.

Also made a bit more progress got all the rear end built up and the aero spoiler put on starting to look good :D

Getting there now all brake pipes done with braided stainless hoses installed. I've also replaced the 25mm spacers at the back with some 15's. Couple of the pics a bit rubbish as it got dark. Just really little bits to finish off now like adding the other tailpipe as I was waiting for a joiner and finishing seats off. :D

Got the exhaust all sorted now couple of pics

The tips are black chrome which I got from MIJ Exhausts :coolsteer)
JamesRowe

blank

Re: My 2.8 Alpine White Project Update

Post by JamesRowe »

Serious credit to you! Wow. Amazing, do mine :)
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

stunning work ........... how do the twin-exit pipes sound .im thinking of getting my 3.0 done :D
Jonesy

Not specified

Post by Jonesy »

Daz this is amazing, absolute credit to you, if i wore a hat, I'd take it off. IMO this car must have doubled in value through the work you have put in. I hope your getting pleanty of use out of it!

Luke
Luke Jones

Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Sexxxxxxxxxxy!!!!! :wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

JamesRowe wrote:Serious credit to you! Wow. Amazing, do mine :)
Thanks it's took me forever to do this one :D
PCSAM wrote:stunning work ........... how do the twin-exit pipes sound .im thinking of getting my 3.0 done :D
They sound good not taken it up the road yet though.
Jonesy wrote:Daz this is amazing, absolute credit to you, if i wore a hat, I'd take it off. IMO this car must have doubled in value through the work you have put in. I hope your getting pleanty of use out of it!

Luke
Cheers Luke not got it on the road yet hopefully the next couple of weeks.
Z3cade wrote:Sexxxxxxxxxxy!!!!! :wink:
Z3cade wrote:Sexxxxxxxxxxy!!!!! :wink:
:squeeze:
srvz3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by srvz3 »

Full credit to you for the work you have done , it looks fabulous, can i ask where you purchased the lower wire mesh grill from, as i need a replacement for mine?
cheers
vince.
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

All I am going to say is ........................................ :bow
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

srvz3 wrote:Full credit to you for the work you have done , it looks fabulous, can i ask where you purchased the lower wire mesh grill from, as i need a replacement for mine?
cheers
vince.
Thanks the grill was purchased from coopers BMW parts online was about £60 I think.
Will have to get round to putting some more recent pics up.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I really enjoyed your post...superb work and a stunning result. I'm not a fan of white cars, but you have combined the interior / exterior so well, it's a great looking car. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

Your paint booth gives "gardening work" a new meaning :D :bow
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I thought it was a really brilliant solution...My only reservation was the idea that any heat build-up in there might cause moisture evapouration from the ground and do a nasty to the good paintwork...but then I guess it isn't that warm there right now... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

It looks absolutely brilliant - I love that you've painted the A-piller the same colour as the panel behind the numberplate - You wrote sometime ago that you would paint the rim centers in an other colour - DON*T!!!! I suggest that you paint the flange on the brake discs with a heat resistant siler colour - it'll make the wheels look deeper when you look through the spokes.. (OEM discs er also painted silver) But keep the calipers in black as they are now.

The black chrome exhaust pipes look great - - it would so cool if the kidneys had the same colour :nerd:

Keep ut the good work - and keep posting pics - we luv'em!!!
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

great looking car, have you made it to any shows/meets yet?
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Ferdinand wrote:It looks absolutely brilliant - I love that you've painted the A-piller the same colour as the panel behind the numberplate - You wrote sometime ago that you would paint the rim centers in an other colour - DON*T!!!! I suggest that you paint the flange on the brake discs with a heat resistant siler colour - it'll make the wheels look deeper when you look through the spokes.. (OEM discs er also painted silver) But keep the calipers in black as they are now.

The black chrome exhaust pipes look great - - it would so cool if the kidneys had the same colour :nerd:

Keep ut the good work - and keep posting pics - we luv'em!!!
Thanks for the comments everyone I've decided to leave the wheels silver too, just don't think they'll look right with graphite centres. I'll keep in mind the brake disc centres for next year everythings black at the minute.
Here's a couple of pics the kidneys are graphite grey too :wink:

shantybeater wrote:great looking car, have you made it to any shows/meets yet?
Not made it to any meets yet shanty a few people off the club have seen it though should make it to a few next year. Hows that new motor going loos very nice and I bet it shifts too?
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

looks stunning mate . I bet all that work cost you a fair few quid :shock:
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Looking bloody great..nice work
Bi11

M roadster S54

Post by Bi11 »

Wow, what a huge amount of work and looks done to a high standard. Love the dark hardtop and the way you have taken some of the nicest parts of the M without trying to make it an M clone
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

:fade I just had one of those slow, deep, calm breaths after finishing reading the whole of your thread,... :shock: :thumb:

It's great to see you put so much effort into the car TBH, it's always annoying when you see something that's been done quickly rather than correctly (many bodyshops seem to follow the quick route) - I get the feeling this one looks as good close-up as it does in the pictures :D

Finally, :bow
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Daz3 wrote: Not made it to any meets yet shanty a few people off the club have seen it though should make it to a few next year. Hows that new motor going loos very nice and I bet it shifts too?
It does mate, its also a pain in the a** to work on!

hopefully i'll catch you at a meet so I can see your handy work!
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Let the fun commence! Just bought this little beaut which I'll be mounting on the zed along with an m50 manifold so hoping to see some nice gains. Any advice on things needed would be great. It's from a merc clk230 and is an eaton m62 blower. I'm wanting to try it on the standard engine running low boost. I've heard of another one that's been done and the alloy block seems to cope. I think the mercs run about 6-8psi from what I can gather.

Things I can think of I need are:

Merc crank pulley modified to fit.
Vacuum/pressure switch for electromagnetic clutch
Tensioner wheel
Intercooler
Pipe work
Ecu remap or stand alone? Advice please?
Fuel pressure regulator?
Injectors possible?
As said this is my winter project so any advice help would be great. Thanks Daz

Engine bay at the minute.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: My 2.8 Alpine White III Eaton M62 build

Post by Southernboy »

I've been considering the same Eaton...so I'll be watching this with very keen interest...details details details...please!!! :D
"Normal is overrated"

Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Done a bit more stripping down today. Removed air con system and got the power steering pulley off ready for the charger drive pulley.

I've now got the merc drive pulley for the charger which I'll be modifying to fit the power steering pump. Although when I held it next to the oe pump pulley the inner pulley on the merc pulley which I was going to machine off is nearly the same diameter of the oe pas pulley. So what I'm wondering is would the inner pulley on the merc one do my zeds power steering as well with it being about 5mm larger in diameter? I know this will make the pump spin slightly slower I'll have to work out the ratios when I can measure it more accurately. Will this affect the steering too much or not?

Oe pulley in my hand vs merc pulley which will be cut down to the side of the small pulley.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The "ribs look to be a different spacing on the two options??
"Normal is overrated"

Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

No there both 6pk belts I've tried that one :D any ideas wether it'll affect the power steering at all?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Is the Merc pulley smaller or larger than the OEM pulley?
If it's smaller, then it'll turn the pump faster...if it's larger, then your pump will be driven slower...But first measure the two diameters accurately, and if they're within 10mm diameter of each other, I wouldn't sweat the difference.
"Normal is overrated"

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Daz3 wrote:any ideas wether it'll affect the power steering at all?
Just my 2p worth but the power steering pump will normally deal with the engine rev range from say 850 - 6000+rpm! (Yes I know there is ratios to deal with), with such a wide working range I can't see the new pulley making that much difference can it?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Good thinking Batman....In fact, the faster one drives, the less power to the steering...otherwise we would have trouble keeping the car steady at speed... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

The merc one is definitely larger in diameter it's only 5mm or so but will check more accurately tomorrow. Think it might be one of them things bite the bullet and see what it's like.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

5mm larger will not be a problem...I have an "underpulley" which I haven't fitted yet...it's a common mod made by many racedrivers to scrape a few 100ths of a second from their cars...it essentially does the same thing...turns the alternator, waterpump etc a few rpm slower, thereby lessening the drag on the crank... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Just picked this up tonight M50 manifold more POWER for the eaton :D
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Look forward to seeing this all done Daz.. Come on chop chop! :D
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

FYI...I had a chat to a BMW mech yesterday about your mod...he assures me that the pulley size is immaterial...He tells me that the PAS operates at one level only...irrespective of revoulutions, it has an inbuilt release valve which maintains a constant pressure at any speed...eg. if it is set at 1bar...it is always 1 bar no matter how fast or slow the motor is turning...So that should resolve your earlier concern regarding pulley diameter size... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Thanks for the info mate I'll crack on then! :thumb: