Air Conditioning Cable

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Air Conditioning Cable

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Hi All,

I just bought the air conditioning switch from another forum member which arrived safe and sound :)

The cable was also sent with the switch just in case I didnt have it already... and it seems like after looking, that it is not in the car. I dont have A/C in my car but am just trying to "fill the gap" basically, but would like for it to light up of course.

Here is a picture of the cable:

and here we can see the back of the connector:

It is possible to see the numbers 1-8 on the switch. Which ones are used for power i.e lighting up the buttons? Are the buttons lit when the lights are on, or only after one is pressed?

Also, these are the remaining connectors behind the centre console which are not connected. Can anyone tell me which is used for what?

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Air Conditioning Cable

Post by Southernboy »

I find it very odd that you say you do not have a connection for the AC. It is strange because these cars all have a standard electrical wiring loom. Have you removed the center console to have a look behind there ? If it wasn't fitted with AC at manufacture, the connection is normally tied to the main wiring loom out of the way. It doesn't make sense that a "special" wiring loom will be made just for cars with no AC. These things are "mass produced" and as such it breaks the pattern of production to make a product slightly different from standard. ie. it is cheaper to make them all the same vs have a stop start in a production line. I'm sure if you removed your center console, you will find the connector tied away there. Things like AC and Cruise Control etc were "options" so the loom must be there... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Wolverine_1999 wrote:Also, these are the remaining connectors behind the centre console which are not connected. Can anyone tell me which is used for what?
What were/are the standard switches in your car?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I'm looking at that and thinking you've split the switch in two and not just removed the connector from the back of it. Look at the colours of the wires in the fragment of loom that came with the switch. Do any of the connectors in your wiring loom have the same colours? The white one in the bottom right of your last picture looks like it might?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

Nah doesnt work unfortunately..

I found a wiring diagram for the electrical switch and have just connected the positive and negative for each button so it lights up :D And it works :D

Looks like a car which didnt come standard with A/C wont have the cable loom in there..

What about the other connectors? Any idea what they are?
DAVE P

M coupe S50

Post by DAVE P »

The later air con switch doesn't light up like the other switches but the buttons themselves light when pressed (if that makes sense)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

When you say it doesn't work, what do you mean? You found a connector that fits and it doesn't light up? If so the likelihood is that the OTHER end is not connected to anything! There are additional relays needed to install aircon and probably fuses as well.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Wolverine_1999

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wolverine_1999 »

No I meant those plugs shown in the picture do not fit the switch.

From the cable that came with the switch, I just took the plus and minus to hook up the lights. They light up now even though they are not pressed :)