Kat's Z3 Widebody

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
KattyP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Kat's Z3 Widebody

Post by KattyP »

Hiya, I'm new to the BMW world so any knowledge shared would be amazing.

Let's start with my previous car, Doris, and let's see if you can guess the sort of style I'm accustom to. It won't be everyone's taste but I hope you appreciate the work that will be put into it.

And now the Z3 who is unnamed :(

So the story goes... I was bored of the mx5's lack of power and the fact it was a rust bucket and I've had my eye on these for a while now. I bit the bullet and travelled up to Scotland from Bedford to collect her.
The first thing I did was rip the suspension out and fit the coilovers. The z3 came with them and the wheels so it was just a matter of fitting it all correctly.

The borbet's are 9.5j all round so the fitment is all wrong, this will be fixed next month with arch work and spacers.

I've only sprayed the grill so far so not much has been done. The wheels are going in for a refurb and colour change and the arches are being made wider to allow the car to go lower.

Some more pictures....

All I can say is I'm in love....
PCSAM

blank

Re: Kat's Z3 Widebody

Post by PCSAM »

its low aint it :shock: its nice :D
chill4x4saph

M roadster S54

Post by chill4x4saph »

me likey!!!!........, looks cooool!...., does it actually have any functioning suspension though?!?!? (that's not a facetious question btw, ive just always wondered when I see things so low?)
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Know someone who's right up your street ;)

Dallan where are ya? Someone here with a lower zed than yours! :D
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

I love the stance :wink: I'm waiting to lower mine once i find someone who can help me with the weight distrobution. All ready to go on Koni's :P

Joycey
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Looks pretty mean and low, very striking but good luck getting that baby onto an MOT ramp!!!
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Bi11

M roadster S54

Post by Bi11 »

Crikey, I thought mine was a bit low! Will be interesting to see what you do, but looks promising so far.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Well we share the same colour if nothing else! Looking forward to seeing further changes. There's no comparison between a 2.8 Zed and an MX5! Enjoy!! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Wow I thought mine was low but that makes mine look like a 4x4 !!!
KattyP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by KattyP »

It will go lower temporarily for a show in Belgium and then il raise it. It's nowhere near as low as the mx5 was but I wouldn't dare do that with the additional power that the zed has! It's low enough that I can still enjoy it through country roads and not have to think about it hitting the floor. Handles better than it did on standard suspension just a little harsher ride.

The aim is to get it on air ride, but I'm conscious that they handle like crap so I need to look into it further.

Really happy with the comments guys thank you, was a bit nervous how you would take it as it's not the obvious choice to make silly low. But I love it more than anything!!
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Nice zed always good to see something different! Oh yeah and welcome :wave
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I like it,
but some on here should be turning in their graves, mostly those that are close to occupying them...... :roflmao:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

gookah wrote:I like it,
but some on here should be turning in their graves, mostly those that are close to occupying them...... :roflmao:
:lol:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Yes its definitely a youngster thing, in my day it was rally mudflaps, Cibbie spots and rubber spoilers :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Looks good, looking forward to the future mods :D
ImageImage
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

Haha this made me laugh out loud! Brave! :lol:
KattyP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by KattyP »

Yeah I see your point. My uncle has one and he's a bit of a purist. So much so he's had it from new and it's only just ticked over 17k and has had nothing but bmw parts and products touch it lol.

It's taste, I've done the whole track look but I I just prefer this look. Still drive it like it deserves.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Welcome on board Kat.

You might find the thread below interesting, seems you have similar taste :)

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 83#p302383
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

These cars look great slammed to the floor with extra wide rims and stretched tyres. As said above, not to everyone's taste but I love them like this. There is a lot of hard work and calculations that go into making a car look this good and still allow it to be drivable. People should respect the time and effort that goes into them a lot more, rather than just say it looks stupid or more so un-roadworthy.

Can't wait for future progress :)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I don't mind this look, though I would say it's just got a bit too much poke at the front - some swapped Z3M top mounts may help (though not as much when fitted to a Z3M as it runs different hubs/spindles). Also, the offset square plate does remind me of MX5s styled like this! A 3/4 front plate in the middle would look better IMO.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

g8jka wrote:There is a lot of hard work and calculations that go into making a car look this good and still allow it to be drivable. People should respect the time and effort that goes into them a lot more, rather than just say it looks stupid or more so un-roadworthy.
I can't see any criticism on this thread only compliments. Ignoring the "lowness" of the car, is it legal and practical? Tyres stretched over over-sized rims, no front number plate, wheels at an exaggerated angle such that only the small inner part (of a tyre already stretched) is in full weight contact with the road. Not for me sorry - I shall go for a spin in my grave now :D
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Del wrote:
g8jka wrote:There is a lot of hard work and calculations that go into making a car look this good and still allow it to be drivable. People should respect the time and effort that goes into them a lot more, rather than just say it looks stupid or more so un-roadworthy.
I can't see any criticism on this thread only compliments. Ignoring the "lowness" of the car, is it legal and practical? Tyres stretched over over-sized rims, no front number plate, wheels at an exaggerated angle such that only the small inner part (of a tyre already stretched) is in full weight contact with the road. Not for me sorry - I shall go for a spin in my grave now :D
Not so much this thread, it is full of compliments which is great. But normally when a car like this comes along there's more haters than lovers and you get the questions of it being legal / practical etc. Yes some things may be illegal and may not pass an MOT but a lot of these cars are built for show and there is a massive following with this kind of look at present :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

There are people that drink and drive and drive without insurance and/or MOT but I would hope that people wouldn't support that on the grounds of a fashion. If people want to trailer cars to a show then fine, but young teenagers will tend to instead copy these fashionable trends and end up doing handbrake turns around their town centre.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

g8jka wrote: there is a massive following with this kind of look at present :)
only if you're young though...... :D

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Del wrote:but young teenagers will tend to instead copy these fashionable trends and end up doing handbrake turns around their town centre.
I think the younger kids call that 'drifting' nowadays :shock:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

To quote a Chinese proverb, if a man has the same views at 50 as he held at 20, then he has wasted the last 30-years of his life :D
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Del wrote:young teenagers will tend to instead copy these fashionable trends and end up doing handbrake turns around their town centre.

I was handbrake turning in my Avenger 36 years ago when the police stopped me and checked my car over. They let me off after saying there was no need to check my handbrake because they could see that was OK!!!!
We are all young once.

I don't hold the same views now as when I was younger, but neither do I expect the young ones to have my old age views, and If I was their age I would be doing exactly this, somehow I don't think I would look right getting out of it now. If my bones were capable....... :D

And my dad was horrified when I jacked up the rear suspension on my Avenger, because it was fashionable..I remember he used to go on about it not being legal, practical or able to pass an MOT, ..... :roflmao:

KattyP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by KattyP »

The problem with this style is it is always done badly enough to get a poor reputation. My plate fell off so I've put the full length one back on so I am running a legal plate rather than the import sized one.

The wheels do not fit properly but the beginning of next month the wheels are getting new tyres and some arch work so it is going wider. The tread does not exceed the arch so it legal.

The stretch is not excessive, my mx5 was but I wouldn't dare do the same to this as I need the grip. I tend to keep it as legal as I possibly can, same with any style of modification. I have never ever had problems with police,grip or safety. I'd rather keep myself and others safe than be a complete attention seeker.

Bodge jobs are a no no for me, my cars get a lot of time and attention.
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

My car has a bit if negative camber to get the back wheels to sit in the arches have you thought about that option ?
KattyP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by KattyP »

Woody1000 wrote:My car has a bit if negative camber to get the back wheels to sit in the arches have you thought about that option ?
How? I've been told about e46 bottom arms and m3 evo reversed top mounts. But that's a lot of camber :/ for the fronts anyway but what about he rears?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

KattyP wrote:
Woody1000 wrote:My car has a bit if negative camber to get the back wheels to sit in the arches have you thought about that option ?
How? I've been told about e46 bottom arms and m3 evo reversed top mounts. But that's a lot of camber :/ for the fronts anyway but what about he rears?
I thought the rear camber was not adjustable, and you had to cut off the trailing arm brackets and weld them back on in the new location, or weld on slotted versions... :puzzle:

martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Golly gosh thats low! :o

Damn nice though!

Montreal blue im guessing? Join the club :)

Makes me think of white wheels cause they look smashing... let me know if your ever flogging them :)
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Not sure what's been done as it was like it when I got the car but it definitely has negative camber and it also shows it on the laser wheel alignment data graph that was done.
Not a great picture as it's difficult to see just how much it has
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Woody1000 wrote:Not sure what's been done as it was like it when I got the car but it definitely has negative camber and it also shows it on the laser wheel alignment data graph that was done.
Not a great picture as it's difficult to see just how much it has

the camber is such that the lower you go the more it goes in at the top anyway.

maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Check out a member on here fwj01 her thread shes lowered etc air ride system.wide wheels and stretched tyres
Moz

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

maurice the martian wrote:Check out a member on here fwj01 her thread shes lowered etc air ride system.wide wheels and stretched tyres
Moz

Brian H wrote:Welcome on board Kat.

You might find the thread below interesting, seems you have similar taste :)

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 83#p302383
My thoughts a few post ago Moz :D
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Specsavers& nursin home beckons.lol

KattyP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by KattyP »

Ok so in preparation for Heaven on Wheels in Belgium this month we got cracking not he car.

I ripped out the air box and pulled over some universal cone filter, the noise is immense! Over 5k it just screams at you...

We went to the scrappy to try and find a suitable splitter, found the perfect look, off a focus. Now this was not easy to fit at all as it clips to the bumper. No way of screwing it on or gluing. So my mate took a grinder to the bumper and splitter and spent a hour cutting holes in my bumper and ripping the splitter to shreds. But hey presto, it worked!! I would not recommend this to anyone, so much hassle and plastic burns. (He isn't particularly safety conscious).

I also rolled and pulled the rear arches ready for spacers, there's a few degrees of camber already. I tried on 30mm spacers and it looked awful. I've just ordered some 15mm hubcentrics. Pulling the arch gets rid of that awful flat part of the arch and makes it look just that little bit more natural. It's not massively noticeable until you stand behind the car and it curves just that little bit more.

As you can see I still have a lot of work to do to get the wheels to fit properly and she needs a bloody good clean.

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Question: why that splitter?
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
KattyP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by KattyP »

Because it's the closest we could find to what I wanted. Was perfect width and shape :)

Also got my wheels refurbed and sprayed and spaced the rears.

Here's a few pictures from Heaven on Wheels in Belgium.

And Early Edition

Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Looks great nice colour combo really does shine well! How come your drivers mirrors at a funny angle?
KattyP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by KattyP »

It's broken I need a new one :(

Does anyone know the rear spring id?
Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

I can check one I have sat in the garage tomorrow night if you like?
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Wow looks low and mean !!
KattyP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by KattyP »

Daz3 wrote:I can check one I have sat in the garage tomorrow night if you like?
That would be amazing!
Woody1000 wrote:Wow looks low and mean !!
Thank you :)
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Front wheels sticks out too much.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

This looks great. Love the different touches you've made, looks unique.

Have you any better pics from the rear- interested in that bumper number plate combo. Is it a facelift bumper with US style plate or something else?

Love the splitter. Looks like allot of hassle to fit. I've noticed that the Vectra (the one before the Insignia) as a splitter that could work on a Z too and the front also has a triangular shape. Probably a bit too wide so will need shortening to fit neatly.
KattyP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by KattyP »

So lots has changed but I can't post any pictures :/
KattyP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by KattyP »

KattyP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by KattyP »

Ok figured it out

So I dropped her and was static until I did a bit of damage so raised her. Before and after...