New head unit help needed please

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
Z3mora

Z3 roadster 2.0

New head unit help needed please

Post by Z3mora »

Hi guys,

I am looking to replace the standard BMW business CD that is currently in my Z3.

I have no interest adding anything too exciting just yet, just to give me some iphone connectivity and maybe some hands free.

I am also open to swapping out any of the speakers if that helps the overall sound but I dont want to be adding an amp or anything like that.

I am not looking at spending more than £150 tops. Any ideas of a starting point?

Thanks guys
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: New head unit help needed please

Post by bertiejaffa »

I got a sony one from Halfords - was £50, sounds good (I have aftermarket speakers though - but not expensive ones); it is hands free, bluetooth; BT audio USB, Jack...
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Z3mora wrote:the standard BMW business CD
These fetch high prices on ebay and would probably more than cover the better, more modern replacement.

No point in going mad in my view as whoever designed the Z3 did not bother about audio acoustic issues - with speakers buried down in the footwells and others strategically placed directly behind the seats so that the seats nicely insulate any noise from the said speakers that you might otherwise hear :D
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

I'm also looking to replace my head unit (radio/stereo.....whatever :wink: ). I've looked at some green/blue/red "boy racer" megga monsters (great for impressing the bird!), but I want something which is more subtle, in keeping with the normal BMW soft orange lighting. Anyone seen or got one that fits the bill? But still looking for hands free and pref. USB.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Z3mora

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Z3mora »

I did see in another thread that they can be sort after. Mine has a little error in the display, not all of the pixels light up, works fine otherwise.

I think from my quick looking online that a lot of them have multiple colour options.

Main thing I wanted to make sure is that it doesn't really matter what head unit I get, they will work. Do I need to get an adaptor of some sort?
metalmickey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by metalmickey »

Hi Mora
I am considering a change as well and have been reading the relevant posts. My Business RDS is showing the same symptoms as yours.
I gather you will need a ISO adaptor plug which are readily available. Halfords seem to be the first choice providers and you should get a good deal for the unit and fitting if you don't want to fiddle about yourself.
It seems a simple task but like all of these things, the unexpected catches you out!
Interested to hear what you choose and ease of installation.
MM (Mike)
Z3mora

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Z3mora »

Hi Mike,
I did a bit of googling and looking around here and have found this part which I think is the one I need.

http://bit.ly/17ZTHmS

You can pick it up from halfords but it's £7.99.

I don't mind giving things a go myself, just aslong as someone has told me what to do first! :)
gIzzE

Not specified

Post by gIzzE »

I put a Pioneer 560BT unit in mine last week, it is iPhone and Android compatible and no fancy leads needed.
It will play music from your phone or from apps on it, either wired or over bluetooth.
The colour of the display and buttons, and the pixel array for that matter, match the BMW interior perfectly.
It obviously has bluetooth for music and phone and can also has an aux input, but there is no cd drive, but then your better to pick up a used ipod for £50 and leave your top 3000 albums in the glovebox anyway.

It was on offer at Halfords online for £99.

I will try and get a better picture of it, but it is a very neat little unit that sits as well as anything out there, not to blingy.

Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Thanks gizzE, that's precisely the standard BMW "in cockpit" look I wanted to achieve. Looks really spot on, matching the soft orange LED's as on the instrument panel. Probably for the money I would hazard a guess that that's as close as you'll get.

BTW Z3mora........think I might of accidently deviated from your OP, apols KF :wink:
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Z3mora

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Z3mora »

No worries on the high jack :)

I've picked up a head unit now but I can't remove the standard one. I have lifted up the black latch thing that but it doesn't want to come away from the head unit.
How do I get it apart without breaking it?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

You lift the latch on either side, then you need to unscrew the retaining screws - from memory you need an allen key.
Z3mora

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Z3mora »

Thanks bladerunner, I had done that but had problems removing the connector. Managed to do it now and connected it up. The connector to the arial doesn't work, do I need a connector? Is that usual?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

If the head unit has a deep hole for the aerial you'll need something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Aerial-An ... 1051691245