What are my options re diagnostics?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

What are my options re diagnostics?

Post by Alan W »

My car passed its MOT today but I was worried as the abs/asc had been coming on again intermittently, but my mechanic friend who was giving the car a once over and taking the car for the test managed to reset the lights via the under drivers side dash diagnostics plug using his device. He does not however have the under bonnet plug and associated program and I was thinking maybe I should get this for myself.

Can anyone confirm what leads and software I need, likely costs, and whether I could run this on my Windows Vista laptop?

Many thanks

Alan
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: What are my options re diagnostics?

Post by BladeRunner919 »

mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

That'll do it

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I am slightly surprised that your friend managed to clear ABS/ASC lights via the OBDII socket. I have only tried my cable on two cars with OBDII ports and the only module I could talk to was the engine - for everything else I had to use the 20-pin under-bonnet connector. This is not to say he didn't clear the lights, but they do go out on their own after a certain number of restarts (provided the fault doesn't recur).

The cable and software above is very similar to the BMTechnic stuff that I have and well worth the money.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

The BMW cable & its software you posted will work via the usb on a laptop but be aware it takes an awful lot of disc space.

I had problems loading all up on my laptop but eventually managed to get it all working.

I also use an Ipad with Dash Command App and a ELM 327 wireless interface which plugs in to the ODB socket under the dash or the round socket under the bonnet using a round to 16pin cable that came with my B800 airbag reset tool.

Dash command reads and clears codes and gives you options to view live data from the engine.

If you have an Ipad that's the cheapest way to go for some diagnostics but not as able as the BMW software INPA etc.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Bi11

M roadster S54

Post by Bi11 »

I also have an elm 327 wireless interface (or at least a Chinese copy any way!) and the Dashcommand app on my iphone. It was dead easy to read an engine error code (and then clear the codes), but I am not sure whether it will reset abs lights or air bag lights.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Dash Command will not do the airbag, best is to get the B800 airbag reset tool for that.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
DomS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by DomS »

As Robert T said, I'd also be surprised (actually very interested!) if he managed to reset the ABS/ASC lights via the OBDII port.

You mention ASC, so I assume you have a pre-DSC car. I have an ABS/DSC module on my 06/2000 car and you need an ADS interface (round 20 pin socket under bonnet and serial port on the PC) to communicate with the ABS/DSC module.

As my INPA PC setup couldn't identify my ABS module, I sent the module off to ECUtesting.com and they reurned it saying it appeared to be fine (at least no fault found!). I put it back on the car, reluctantly went to a stealer for a "proper" diagnosis and rather unsurprisingly, I've been quoted over £1100 to have a new module fitted.

That kit Bladerunner mentioned above should be great for doing most diags and resets, just don't be too surprised if you can't access your ABS/ASC unit with it, as they state it is not an ADS interface. You may want to double-check what your specific Z3 model needs, if you want access to the ABS/ASC modules too.

Cheers,
Dom
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I can access the ASC on my '98 using a kit similar to the one shown. I even programmed it to the car (which it wasn't when I bought the car).
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

I contacted the supplier for the eBay link above and asked:

Hi,

Will this item work with my BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8 auto?

Also, how much disc space does the sotfware take up when installed?

Their reply:

Hi,
Will not work 100% as z3 uses e36 chassis and e36 uses ADS as well as k-line for diagnostics so you may not be able to access certain ecus, you wont know what can and cant be read until you connect cable to car, space needed is dependant on what you install: bmwtools (inpa ncs ect.) after update is around 1 gig, DIS is around 6gig and sss/progman is around 25gig so for best instal circa 32 gig but SSS is not something I have installed as it takes up too much space and is not really something I use, diagnostics/coding wise just bmwtools and dis will be fine at around 7 gig for the both.

Okay, can someone please explain all that to me in layman's terms?
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

As Robert T said, I'd also be surprised (actually very interested!) if he managed to reset the ABS/ASC lights via the OBDII port.
As far as I know he didn't have the under-bonnet round connector and used the one under the dash on the drivers side? He said that he reset the ABS/ASC lights and the test showed a fault on the ABS pump, a fault on the transmission and a fault on the engine running. Because the car runs and drives with no issues he cleared the fault codes and said to wait and see if they pop up again?

I don't suppose I would be able to connect my Samsung tablet up to the round plug under the bonnet?
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Now have a copy of BMW Carsoft with SP1... will this work with the round plug under the bonnet? If so does anyone know what sort of lead I need to connect up to my laptop?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Yes it does. I have carsoft and it's good, but nowhere near the usefulness of INPA and DIS. If you don't currently have a lead, I'd suggest you buy one like the one I linked to that comes with INPA etc.