Head unit hands free kit

Head units and speakers, MP3 and CD changers, GPS and SatNav, plus PDAs, mobile phones, Bluetooth, TalkAbouts...
markhinton

Z3 roadster 2.8

Head unit hands free kit

Post by markhinton »

I fitted my new headunit last night but left out the Parrot hands free microphone as I wanted to see where best to place it and feed the wire through first. I was thinking somewhere around the steering column, feeding the wire down near the footwell, where hopefully I can remove one of the panels for better access.

What have you done with yours?
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Head unit hands free kit

Post by akirk »

through the dash to the top of the driver's A-pillar
works well

Alasdair
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

ditto - the wire is threaded up and out of the top of the trim at the left of the steering column and the mic is clipped to the top of the trim itself, sits nicely hidden away just to the left of the steering column
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
markhinton

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by markhinton »

Thanks for the replies, forgot to say I don't want to take apart the entire dashboard, unless you didn't need to?

Bertie, did you remove the panel lowest near the pedals? I'm fitting components this weekend so might be a good time to do it then!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

......... or out the top just to the right of the overhead light fitting...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Put mine on the top of the steering column cowl so I dont get wind noise with the roof down....

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

akirk wrote:through the dash to the top of the driver's A-pillar
works well

Alasdair
That's what I did too.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

markhinton wrote:Thanks for the replies, forgot to say I don't want to take apart the entire dashboard, unless you didn't need to?

Bertie, did you remove the panel lowest near the pedals? I'm fitting components this weekend so might be a good time to do it then!
Yeah at the time of fitting it I did as I was also doing a few other things like retro fit cruise - that bottom pedal trim is easy to remove though, just 2 large qtr turn screws and it pops off. The centre console trim is only a couple of screws as well, 5 mins maximum - not a full dash job by any means.

Since then I have done a few other things with the wires behind the centre console (replace the clock etc) and to do that I have literally just undone the screws on the side panel of the centre console near where your clutch leg sits and bent my hand in and up into the centre console. By doing this you should also be able to feed the wire up and through if you didnt want to remove the trim as described above.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
markhinton

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by markhinton »

Cheers Bertie, I'll follow your lead!

Also think I'll be keeping the microphone lowish, as I think with the roof down, as already mentioned by Gookah, it keeps the wind noise down to a minimum.
stevie_a

blank

Post by stevie_a »

I have mine tucked below the mirror you can easily route the wires to that location

no matter where you put it when you have the roof down, they are useless , i have tried it all over the place

and ended up putting it back under the mirror because it is the best place with the hood up.
markhinton

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by markhinton »

I routed it to the top of the steering column, and at 70mph on the motorway with cars passing and the roof down, I had a clear conversation. Think this is the best compromise for me atm.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

stevie_a wrote:no matter where you put it when you have the roof down, they are useless , i have tried it all over the place

no problems with mine on the steering cowl with the roof down... :puzzle:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
stevie_a

blank

Post by stevie_a »

gookah wrote:
stevie_a wrote:no matter where you put it when you have the roof down, they are useless , i have tried it all over the place

no problems with mine on the steering cowl with the roof down... :puzzle:
Do you have a photo where about on the cowl you put it and i can give that location a go.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Mine is just under the instrument cluster next to the steering cowl, no problems at all.

Image[/url]
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

g8jka wrote:Mine is just under the instrument cluster next to the steering cowl, no problems at all.

Image[/url]
Ditto for me, just on the other side of the steering wheel
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Woofwoof

blank

Post by Woofwoof »

I put mine on top of the steering column cowl. There is a flat area where the top screw goes in and it nestles in there nicely and is unobtrusive. Seems to work.