Z3 3.0 road test articles

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 3.0 road test articles

Post by lightning »

I was looking for some period road tests/reviews for the Z3 3.0.

I couldn't find any! there must have been some at the time. Can anybody tell me if it was reviewed anywhere? The nearest I got was CAR June 1999 where they reviewed the facelifted 2.8
The other two I found were....

"Practical Classics" March 2014 (Z3 range buying article as a classic car)
One MX5 vs Z3 article, forget which magazine it was, but again it was a Z3 range and not specific to the 3.0
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3 3.0 road test articles

Post by Southernboy »

Google BMW Z3 Original road test...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Yes l found those, but there's nothing specific to the Z3 3.0.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

.... Matbe not, but I did find an article on having a chip and re-map which guaranteed a minimum of 15HP more throughout on the 3.0... I also watched a Z3 review by 2 USA chaps, with the one finally admitting that he could and would be happy driving a Z3 forever, whilst the other one thought he might just like to get out asap... so it would seem some do and some don't as with most everything so personal... :wink:

"Really" The Ultimate Machine. by DocTman from New York City on 08/27/2012. Trim: 2001 BMW Z3 Roadster 3.0i, Owned 5 years.

Pros: 2001 was the year B.M.W. finally put the Z package together, after manufacturing the 1.9 liter 4 cyl, ( poor performance) The styling, performance of this 3.0 liter is still considered one of the top 10 cars ever built. It has a DSC system which reads the road, and adjust speed, suspension, and steering for the perfect handling that is needed for any special road conditions. Consumers are trading more current models in an attempt to get this marvel. If you turn off the DSC (which makes it a lady) The rear wheels will spin and take you 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. Top speed, i still do not know, she cruises elegantley at 130 mph. ( keep a radar detector available)

Cons: One design flaw is the cheap plastic rear window for this convertable roadster. It even lacks a defroster. Also the glove box lock is defective, with all the precision that was put into this beauty, it was hard to swallow these were overlooked.

Overall review: Every professional rating I have read have overall about the same review. An 11 yr. old car that today is still rated 9.3 is truly an amazing posession the expore any road. After 5 yrs. I still find myself repeating OMG when I'm on a competitive road.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

0-60 in 4.3 seconds with the DSC turned off?

Surely he means "with an SRB (solid rocket booster) in the back" lol
Last edited by lightning on Wed 09 Jul, 2014 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

4.3sec to 60 - no way. Not even an M is that quick unless it had some serious modification.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I bought a (Brooklands) book of Z3 road test reprints and there are two tests of the Z3 3.0 in it.

1. 'Sheer Heart Attack' from BMW car Dec 2000
2. 'Heart transplant' from Autocar Feb 21 2001

Both tests are the same car reg X 241 DBL

Autocar claimed 0-60 in 6.0 seconds and 149mph top speed. 'Smooth and powerful' but 'let down by poor ride and handling and disappointing cabin materials'.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I wonder what they found disappointing about the cabin materials. They seem pretty good to me.
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

I've go a 3.0 and I can confirm that 0-60 in 4.3 seconds is achievable and realistic ! Ok so mine was being towed by a Bugatti veyron at the time !!!
I have always thought the cabin interior is of decent quality and comfortable tbh.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I suppose we're a bit biased, but the cabin is just straightforward and fairly basic really, though the leather seats add a nice touch, the rest of it is just plastic (like most other cars). Perhaps other cars available at that time such as the SLK or Boxster might have been slightly better made, but looking at one now 12-14 years later, to me the difference is subtle at best now. Personally I find the SLK interior quite 'fussy' looking; one of the reasons I didn't buy one when I chose the Z3.