Nurburgring

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
edgeshift

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Nurburgring

Post by edgeshift »

Anybody taken their Z to the ring? if so any advise.

I'm looking to go some time next year, any recommendations on the best time of year to go?

Any advise on what to take and any work that should be done to the car before the trip.

BMW Z3 2.2i Sport
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Nurburgring

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Assuming that you are not worried by the massive speed differential you will find between cars, some of whom may well be committed to YOUR cornering line, check to see if your insurance will cover you for third-party and own damage risks. Of course, the current value of a Z3 is so low that own damage may cost more than the car is worth, but remember there are other people on the ring, who may make a claim against you, not to mention the cost of recovery and repair to the armco etc levied by the owners . . .

On a bad day the Ring can be a free for all, with lots of people who - because they have a fast car - think that they are fast drivers!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Take great care. Best get there early ie as it opens when its quiet. Check tyre pressures, oil etc but don't go out as if you are a racing driver. The circuit has virtually no run offs, there are lots of adverse camber and blind bends. Other cars and bikes will be going very fast regardless of how fast you think you are going so beware at all times.
Best to drive carefully and above all enjoy the experience.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Lucky man, go for it and enjoy, wish I could!
edgeshift

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by edgeshift »

Had my Z for over ten years now have no intension of trashing it now, will be driving very carefully.

I pretty much know my insurance will not cover me which means taking out separate cover just for the time I'm there, any one got suggestions?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I would rather get one of these:

You don't have to be the one that loses control to damage your car.
Too many you tube videos showing the accidents caused by others driving too fast.

There are plenty of safer tracks with more forgiving run offs.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Do they offer a "seniors" day where we can cruise around at 40 mph enjoying the scenery with a "comfort break" halfway with tea and scones served? :D
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

A great place to visit and full of history.
Try and visit during a weekday as it is a lot quieter traffic wise.

We found a good option was to look for an evening session as they follow a manufacturers day and usually very quiet again. they start at 5pm usually.
If you have to do a weekend event then I'd suggest getting there early and enjoying the circuit before the local descend on the circuit, because as pointed out it does get manic..
Once you've done your laps then its great to be able to go to the viewing positions and watch the lunacy that follows.

Watch your mirrors!! you may see a standard car in your mirrors that may consist of a track day weapon and hero driving, just moving over saves any hassle.
Take all loose items out of your car as the rise and fall of the circuit can throw items around.

Don't forget to get your stickers from the local garages :)
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I am fairly certain you can buy some form of recovery insurance whilst at the ring, I think it covers more than the recovery itself it covers for loss of earnings for the track, damage to the track etc. etc. these all add up. Of course with any type of insurance the devil is in the detail of the policy.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

If you really must drive the Ring, try to learn it from one of the many videos on YouTube etc - 14 miles is a lot of bends, all with a different character. With very limited vision on the approach to most corners, the Ring is not like a trackday on a flat ex-airfield circuit in the UK.

I saw a video on YouTube which showed the very real risks of mixing tourists with serious people - a Mini Cooper was entering a series of blind bends which - at serious speed - require a particular line. The Mini driver no doubt thought he was a fast driver, and was half way through the bends when a race-prepared M3 CSL, travelling much faster, came up behind him just after one of the blind bends, and ran over the top of the Mini!

The impact forces tore the the M3 apart, and the Mini was of course flattenned, presumably causing serious - if not fatal - injuries. The M3 driver walked away just as his car burst into flames.

That was a dramatic illustration of the simple fact that driving the ring is a gamble that you will not get in the way of a far faster car at a critical time. Having said that, the law of probabilities usually works to protect the unwary . . . good luck!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

garyw wrote: Once you've done your laps then its great to be able to go to the viewing positions and watch the lunacy that follows.
Aaah, so lunacy waits until after your laps are done, thats comforting then.. :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

gookah wrote:
garyw wrote: Once you've done your laps then its great to be able to go to the viewing positions and watch the lunacy that follows.
Aaah, so lunacy waits until after your laps are done, thats comforting then.. :D
Yep, got that thank you... :twisted:

Yes, the later in the day the crazier it will be :D
I have arrived at 9am and parked next to the café, come midday you won't even get in the carpark!
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Del wrote:Do they offer a "seniors" day where we can cruise around at 40 mph enjoying the scenery with a "comfort break" halfway with tea and scones served? :D
Del, this made me have a good laugh :D
ImageImage
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

WHY? The thought of taking my ageing Z3 and lets face it without a small fortune spending on it is "no track car" over to thrash the living daylights out of it makes me ill, I would not even dream of taking a car that is set up for the road onto such a track, Dont get me wrong I would love to do it, but would have to be in a track prepared car, and under instruction, otherwise the risk of damaging My car, or someone elses, Killing someone or worse still killing myself would be to great. Better tracks are available in the UK to get the feel of driving on a circuit without causing damage to you or your car.
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I see your reasoning. However you don't have to "thrash the living daylights" out of your car. You could take the circuit at say 80%, which would probably be a safer option anyway, if you don't know the circuit.
TaffZee

blank

Post by TaffZee »

lightning wrote:I see your reasoning. However you don't have to "thrash the living daylights" out of your car. You could take the circuit at say 80%, which would probably be a safer option anyway, if you don't know the circuit.
Point Taken, but it may not be his fault, its other people who go above their driving capabilities that would worry me, toodling around at 80% with other cars flying around at 120% is to me a recipe for disaster.
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8
CPK2.8

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by CPK2.8 »

Some thoughts that might help... From personal experience if your a fan of fast road driving and want to experience the ultimate fast road with no danger of someone coming the other way the ring is a must. And remember It's also not just the ring itself, there is lots of petrol heads there with some really nice machinery to look at in the holding area... Beautifully prepared BMWs, 911s even Lamborghini, Ferrari etc etc, also if you stay locally you can go and have diner and drinks at the Pistenklause, which is Sabine Schmidts family hotel and restaurant...she once served me my dinner! Also they used to run (not sure if they still do) 2 x BMW M5 ring taxis round the ring and if you are lucky Sabine will be your driver and take you round the ring in 8minutes!!!! (Haven't done this myself because I am a bad passenger and didnt want to throw up on the M5 leather!!) I have personally driven 15 laps in 3 visits. That may not sound much but the adrenalin and the sheer concentration of doing 13miles at speed on the rings twists and turns in a road car takes it out of you. I have never driven a Z3 around there but have done it in a 3.0 V6 Alfa GTV (my own weekend road car at the time) doing 2 x 5 laps on two weekend visits driving the car there and back and the last time 3 mates and I bought a £1000 alfa 156 2.5v6 and spent 3 days there putting 20 laps on the car! Obviously for the last trip we didn't drive the car there and back (as by the time we finished it was shagged) but took it on a car trailer behind my mates 4x4.

As you can see I am a big advocate of the ring... Now the important sensible bits:
I) never, I repeat never try to time your self, initially just drive it like its a new country road that you have found, then as you get more confident increase the pace as you would do on a road you know but don't start getting out the stop watch, if you do you'll start taking risks and you do not want to do that at the ring
II) remember this is a public road, there is a second entrance half way round that actually has a speed limit enforced, also you will come around a corner at some point and find a coach doing 40 mph with tourists on board... Yes they do laps for tourists.
iII) If you talk to the ringers... So the local Germans that have 100s of laps under there belt and go there a dozen or more times a year the most likely time to have an accident is between laps 20 to 50 when you start to think you know it and you find your starting to push you and the car to the limit... Saw a british guy on my second visit dispatched to hospital and also his Golf VR6 with no front end in it when the wrecking truck came round... Spoke to one of his mates (in an imprezza so I say no more) who told me that it was there 4th visit and the guy who crashed 26th lap and they were timing each other... Says it all really.
Iv) if you do more than 6 laps you are likely going to need new front discs plus a clean oil change when you get back plus you'll munch tyres and drink fuel
V) there is more i can say but I'll leave it with this last point... If you bin it they charge you for the barrier repairs and the lost revenue from you closing the circuit! On a busy warm spring weekend that could get in to the 1000 euros... So go there suck up the atmosphere, have a great time, talk to other ringers because they will be just as pleased to be there as you and be sensible with the car!

Hope this helps, cheers Chris
CPK2.8

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by CPK2.8 »

Just a couple of other points I missed...

Best time to go (in my opinion) may, june or September... The circuit is best sampled dry (well as dry as possible because it can and does rain on some parts and not others all year round)

I know it's busy but go over a long weekend because the atmosphere is part of the appeal (well for me anyway)

Normal road insurance does not apply, in nearly all road insurance policies private toll roads are excluded and in some the ring is actually named!

Take plenty of euros because it is not cheap

Take time to go to some of the viewing points around the circuit and watch the local ringers show you how it is done

Watch some laps online before you go so you get a feel for the circuit but it won't prepare you for the gradient changes

The traffic can be extreme and it will nearly all be passing you as you are in a road going Z so keep an eye in the mirrors and let faster cars past...

Follow this link by Ben a British bloke this tells everything and more... http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/

Cheers Chris
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

^^ Welcome Chris, good first hand info :)
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Good info with the exception of IV(4) IMO - the Ring isn't particularly hard on tyre or brakes (not compared with UK circuits anyway). To start wearing tyres and brakes you've got to be really on it. Obviously uprated pads are a given but that's because the standard pads are so poor.
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by spanwah »

ive just done the nurburgring last month and it is awesome!! a must for a petrol head! I didn't take my zed , I took my bike :D and to be honest I'm glad I did even on that I was constantly checking my mirrors for the million 911 gt3 rs owners and a trillion m3 owners that are there everyday and as a biker I was shocked how cars were coming round me in the corners even when I was kneedown and flying holding them up!!! :bawl: soon did them on the straight though :evil:(to be overtook in the corner again :head: :bawl: ) :D but the experience is well worth it , the cars you see and don't expect to be flying are unbelievable , the whole day was worth it at 27euros a pop to do what speeds you want is awesome aswell!!! didn't see any zeds though!
worth a trip
my zed is a 2.2 aswell and to be honest I wouldn't take it!!

was roughly doing around 8.40 a lap before anyone asks for a first time round wasn't hanging about following my son on his zx10r who only knew the circuit through his xbox so not bad we reckon!!
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

What were you on Spanwash?
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Sorry, Spanwah. Must get new Gleeks!!
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by spanwah »

Rafolian wrote:What were you on Spanwash?
:D my other beast :colourful:
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

spanwah wrote:ive just done the nurburgring last month and it is awesome!! a must for a petrol head! I didn't take my zed , I took my bike :D and to be honest I'm glad I did even on that I was constantly checking my mirrors for the million 911 gt3 rs owners and a trillion m3 owners that are there everyday and as a biker I was shocked how cars were coming round me in the corners even when I was kneedown and flying holding them up!!! :bawl: soon did them on the straight though :evil:(to be overtook in the corner again :head: :bawl: ) :D but the experience is well worth it , the cars you see and don't expect to be flying are unbelievable , the whole day was worth it at 27euros a pop to do what speeds you want is awesome aswell!!! didn't see any zeds though!
worth a trip
my zed is a 2.2 aswell and to be honest I wouldn't take it!!

was roughly doing around 8.40 a lap before anyone asks for a first time round wasn't hanging about following my son on his zx10r who only knew the circuit through his xbox so not bad we reckon!!
Definitely got to be careful on a bike! not only for faster cars but slippery surfaces too. It's probably the only place you'll find bikes and cars sharing track like this, it's not ideal as most riders on there are not using their bike to near its capabilities in corners (as it is easier on a car of course) and rear visibility is not as good as a car.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Nice KTM, I've a zrx1100 an' an 'ace at the moment for when I feel the need for a serious bit of speed!