Undervalued?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Undervalued?

Post by Zedbedee »

From an article in the October issue of Practical Classics 'We've had a suspicion for a while that good Z3's looked undervalued'.
That's in a report from a recent H&H auction where a 1997 with basic alloys, 1.9 engine, cloth interior and 28,000 miles fetched £6048 from an estimate of £3,500 to £4,500. Better hang on to the Z3's for a while then.....
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Undervalued?

Post by lightning »

I think the Z3 is about to start rising in value, particularly for good low mileage examples.

There is currently nothing to compare with it. What other convertible sports car that can do 0-60 in under six seconds and reach 150mph can you buy in mint condition for under £6,000?
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

May probably pick up but not that quickly.

Porsche Boxster probably does fit this bill though, starting at around £3k, some even under that! I know someone who buys full working cars with no real problems just to break them for parts.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

The numbers that remain on the road need to drop to see any significant rise in values. I'm sure being what they are they will eventually go up but I would think it may be a few years yet before we see any major change. :)

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

To be honest l hope values stay sensible, and don't go up, as too many classic cars have risen in value so they are out of reach.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=z3

Needs to drop a lot further. 12000+ and those are just the ones that are taxed.
Pingu
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Not necessarily.

Good low mileage ones are going to go up in value. There are a lot of rough and tatty examples about, and as values are low they are not worth restoring. It's a tribute to the build quality, that there are so many left twelve years after production ended.
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Not worth restoring is the real reason people like Spurs Fan in a Coupe can make good money breaking these cars, just like Dave said earlier re- breaking Boxsters. Low mileage examples of almost any car will fetch stupid money even with cloth seats. If you bought one what would you do? rip out the cloth seats and replace them with leather, and then it's not original anymore. In the end car is only worth what ever one individual will pay for it.
If you have bought a car to enjoy, does it really matter what it's worth?
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

True enough.

Here is an example of a Z3 "on the edge" and typical of many l looked at.
Ebay no. 231318149120

Nice looking 3.0 in Topaz blue. But....

Not had an MOT or service for two years
Front bumper damaged and minor bodywork issues
Engine misfiring when cold
Both lower arms advised at last MOT
Overdue a service
Tyres cracking due to age
Interior needs work
Aircon not working

This is going to cost £1-2,000 to put right. But bidding has gone well over £2,000
lordhelpus

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by lordhelpus »

I tend to agree with t-tony on this one
t-tony wrote:In the end car is only worth what ever one individual will pay for it.If you have bought a car to enjoy, does it really matter what it's worth?
Mine was previously a one owner from new,, the guy I bought it from was a real gent..gave me all the service paperwork old MOT's to (verify mileage) spare keys, etc everything.

I intend to keep mine as original as possible but upgrade, or improve, or make more practical, where I can but try to keep the originality of the vehicle.
I would never part with it,, my wife and I get so much enjoyment out of it...
Ok it's not the daily drive it's just for fun, but I was quite willing to pay what I paid for mine, and if the time ever comes where I have to sell it then the person who buy's it will be getting a car that's been looked after all it's life and that has to carry a value doesn't it??...and if it's ever stolen and I don't get it back then so be it.....that's life.
In the meantime I will enjoy owning it, driving it, and working on it.
1997 2.8................ Montreal Blue
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

lightning wrote:Here is an example of a Z3 "on the edge" and typical of many l looked at.Ebay no. 231318149120
Nothing on that rather honest list sounded too serious to me and it only reached £2,750. The 3.0 litre models are not that common, so in my view that was a bargain. Those engines are capable of 300k miles :)
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Yes a bargain for somebody who can do the work themselves.

I had the bonnet and front bumper on mine resprayed at BMW and it only cost £540.
andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by andy18n »

There's an article in last months classic car buyer magazine - a buyers guide for the Z3. It is saying that values are rising, especially for cherished, low mileage variants. Backed up by several indie dealers - one example where they have just paid more on trade in than the 2012 selling price of a car they previously sold. Another example of a couple of sub 50k cherished cars selling rapidly for £6.5 to £7k and the dealers saying in hindsight they could have pushed prices a bit more.
I'll try and remember to bring the article to the VC10 beer and burger meet on Sunday - an interesting read.
Cheers
Andy
2002 Z3 3.0i Sport Black Sapphire Black & Red Leather
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

andy18n wrote:There's an article in last months classic car buyer magazine - a buyers guide for the Z3. It is saying that values are rising, especially for cherished, low mileage variants. Backed up by several indie dealers - one example where they have just paid more on trade in than the 2012 selling price of a car they previously sold. Another example of a couple of sub 50k cherished cars selling rapidly for £6.5 to £7k and the dealers saying in hindsight they could have pushed prices a bit more.
I'll try and remember to bring the article to the VC10 beer and burger meet on Sunday - an interesting read.
Cheers
Andy
I read that article, it was very good, informative and didn't really have any bad words at all about Z3's other than mentioning common problems that most of us have experienced.....
or was it Septembers issue of Classic motoring? :puzzle:
Designed or not designed, that is the question.
andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by andy18n »

You're right, it's
Was Septembers Classic Motoring mag. It's in the Z ready for anyone that wants a read at the Aeropark tomorrow
2002 Z3 3.0i Sport Black Sapphire Black & Red Leather
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

got a 1.9 z3,less than 70k miles,all paperwork,full service history,£2,300,around 4 years ago,runs well,daily commute,who cares if prices go up?just enjoy the car.
Bull

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bull »

For what it's worth, I bought a 2001 3.0i with about 125k miles. When I went register it with my state (RI), I snuck a peak at the "book" that the DMV uses to calculate the sales taxes. Book value was 12k (obviously inflated to increase tax revenues). But more important, it was the only BMW that had actually appreciated by 2k over the past year. Sucked to pay the extra taxes, but I like the idea that at least as far as the state was concerned, the value is either leveled off or getting a bit better. :)
Ci

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Ci »

Let's face it, Z3's values - if in good condition, low mileage, and well kept etc are a bargain. Mine (the most disliked) eg: a '98, silver, 1.9cc, cloth seats, auto, 33K on clock, fsh, original, kept in garage, a toy - is worth nothing. Lovely to drive + gives me a lot of pleasure. AND still looks good I feel at 16 years old! I look for a replacement and there is nothing. An easy car whether on the motorway or the Dorset lanes. Enjoy and forget the money... :evil:
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

I'm in for long term ownership so tho it would be nice to see the car as a little investment it really doesn't matter two hoots to me as the intention is to keep it as long as I can get it and then pass it onto my son so I'd like to see 20 years+ from the old lad yet, that be the car not me! :D

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Ci wrote:Let's face it, Z3's values - if in good condition, low mileage, and well kept etc are a bargain. Mine (the most disliked) eg: a '98, silver, 1.9cc, cloth seats, auto, 33K on clock, fsh, original, kept in garage, a toy - is worth nothing. Lovely to drive + gives me a lot of pleasure. AND still looks good I feel at 16 years old! I look for a replacement and there is nothing. An easy car whether on the motorway or the Dorset lanes. Enjoy and forget the money... :evil:
Exactly!
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

'Suppose it would be nice for me if the prices are on the rise, but I doubt it. I paid £5k for my 2001 3.0i two and a half years ago and it still has only 65,000 or so on it. I've deep cleaned it/machine polished the paintwork and replaced the usual bushes, etc so it looks better now than when I bought it.

However, I'm hardly using it (have a company car which I do lots of miles in) barely 1000 miles this MOT year. I'm under no illusions though, probably be hard put to get much over £3k for it now, but it has scratched the convertible itch and owning a car with a 'big' more than four cylinder engine. Too many other hobbies (started up playing in a band this year) and my RS2000 has remained untouched in the garage mid restoration since getting the Z3...at least that genuinely has appreciated in value since I bought it in 1995. :D Since the MOT ran out today and it needs a couple of tyres I'll probably wait until next spring before putting it through the MOT, then see about selling it...gives a few more months to see if the prices rise I suppose, but I won't hold my breath. Not many people want a car with a big thirst engine...
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I think you are seriously undervaluing your Z3.

If it's a good one, you should at least get your money back. But if you still want to sell it for £3,000 l would be interested in buying it from you.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

That's the trouble Lightning: Every one on here says how much they are worth, but I notice from the sale adverts no one seems to put their money where their mouth is, especially the highly modified ones that end up being nearer to £10K. Of course I'd like to get more than £3k for it and I'll certainly advertise it for more, but I won't be surprised if it ends up closer to my expectations than yours.

There is a dealer near me with a W reg 2.2 for sale at only £3,600 with warranty, PX and trade in facilities. I don't know the mileage but hard to think that a private buyer would pay much more for mine. I do plan to advertise on here when the time comes, because one make forums tend to over value their cars if anything: Maybe some one on here will appreciate all the work I've put into mine (you could eat your dinner off my wheelarches :D ).
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Send me a PM when you put it on the market!

A local dealer here had a nice looking Topaz Blue 2001 2.0 at £2995 so l stopped to have a closer look.
The car was a bit of a heap to be honest, with over 100,000 miles and well used.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

There I a nice looking facelift 2.8 in black with tan interior + hardtop on here and eBay for just over 3k.
That makes it around 2k (black top plus fitting kit will get at least 800-1k)
83k miles and 12 service stamps.
Been up for a couple if weeks since I first noticed it.
Nice (if you like the tail lift!)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1397223401
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

@Dino good to see that the hardtops are still worth decent money as I've always intended to sell mine separately (they certainly don't seem to add that much money when included with the car).

@Lightning I'll certainly let you know when it's for sale...£5k wasn't it? :wink:
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Yes sell separately (with the fitting kit!). I got a good price for mine but it was cosmos black, perfect condition and full OEM fitting kit and the HRW Switch and free fitting on my driveway!

I loved having it but space to store it properly is an issue for me. If I could use my garage i'd have had one of throes pulley/winch set ups above the car to just pop it on and off myself and store it easily.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Mine' hard top is black too, left in the back of the garage all summer as I can't lift it on and off myself. My RS2000 is in the garage mid resto so nowhere to hang a pulley from. I've got the original fitting kit too, though no rw switch. Can't remember what I paid for mine, but the guy came and helped me fit it as he was local. Even back when I first joined these forums it was widely accepted that you get more back by selling any accessories separately as they don't really add anything to the value of the car, though I'd probably just leave the strut brace on as it's not worth much anyway to sell separately.

I'e saved a search on Autotrader of 3.0 Z3 so I'm going to watch them to see if they sell. Might even ring up the garages to see if they still have them in 3-4 weeks time even if the advert has gone. Some are asking nearly £6k for less miles than mine with hardtops, but the rest seem to be around the £4k mark. Of course you don't know what they end up selling for though.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I paid £6,000.....which was over the odds for my 2002 3.0 M Sport, in May.

But it is a very good one. However l have still spent about £1500 on it since l got it! l never bought it to make a profit on, l bought it because l love the Z3.
Compare this with my van, purchased not so long ago for £14,000 and despite being still in mint condition worth £3,000 on a good day. After that the Z3 does not seem such a bad buy lol
astropa

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by astropa »

I've been told that some z3s are starting to gain in value, but not others. The more powerful the car the more sort after it is and the more likely that its value will rise. The z3m is well sort after and anyone who wants one will have to pay a fair amount of cash for a car the could be over 15 years old. Good 3 litre models also tend to hold their value.

I bought my 3.0 sport on a 2002 plate back in 2008, and after selling the hard top (£850) and other bits it ows me £7300. THe mileage in the last six and a half years has gone from 27k to 51k but if I decided to sell it I don't expect to loose more than a couple of grand, cheap mottoring for something that is so much fun to drive and is still a head turner, I get lots of approving comments from all types of people.

An off topic question to the chap with the RS2000. Is it a 70s or 90s model ?
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

At Sytners in Nottingham today they had an S50 M Coupe for sale at a whisker under £31000
Excellent condition and low mileage but £31000 - wow.
They recently sold one at £34000 and another for just under £40000
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Phil wrote:At Sytners in Nottingham today they had an S50 M Coupe for sale at a whisker under £31000
Excellent condition and low mileage but £31000 - wow.
They recently sold one at £34000 and another for just under £40000
I've seen the car, and there is absolutely nothing special about it. If it goes for anything close to the sticker price, the world has started to go mad and we might be able to take advantage of the madness :D .
Pingu
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

astropa wrote:An off topic question to the chap with the RS2000. Is it a 70s or 90s model ?
Sorry only just seen this: It's a 1979 model, bought in 1980 by my parents, then I bought it off them in 1995. Needed a small amount of welding near the strut tops, but has been off the road for 14 years now (no thanks to the Z3 either which further distracted me). :oops:
astropa

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by astropa »

Thanks for the reply. I had a 1993 RS2000, bought in 94 for just under £10k, sold in 97 for £5.5k wish I'd kept it as they are also now quite a sort after car.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

"Sort after"?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

* Sought after - wanted or searched for
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
astropa

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by astropa »

Thank you Robert for correcting my grammar.

There is a market for fast Escorts and people will pay daft money for good ones. As they will for top end BMWs including the Z3M
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I think the Z3 3.0 is a bargain at the moment.

I bought a mint low mileage one in May for £6,000 including a hardtop. There's nothing to touch it at that price.