Will This Fit?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
njathind

Z3 roadster 2.0

Will This Fit?

Post by njathind »

Hi there.

Just wondering if this item will fit my 1999 2.0 Z3?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-3-Ser ... 33968778be

It's a rear brace from an E36 Convertible which some fool has painted in bright yellow. Just wondering if it will fit my Z3 as if it will its a cheap way of adding some subtle stiffening to the car.

Many thanks
Nat
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Will This Fit?

Post by mwpe »

That looks a pretty crude item. I doubt it would fit the Z3 as the Z3 rear suspension is E30 based.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

One from an E36 compact might fit, as that is the floor pan and suspension the Z3 is based on.
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Rafolian wrote:One from an E36 compact might fit, as that is the floor pan and suspension the Z3 is based on.

Are you sure?
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mwpe »

Phil wrote:
Rafolian wrote:One from an E36 compact might fit, as that is the floor pan and suspension the Z3 is based on.

Are you sure?
That is probably right as the E36 compact reverted to E30 type rear suspension to save space.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I read somewhere about the history of the Z3 and it stated that it was based on the shorter E36 compact floor pan and running gear.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Rafolian wrote:I read somewhere about the history of the Z3 and it stated that it was based on the shorter E36 compact floor pan and running gear.
"From the start, it was clear that the car would need to use as much existing hardware as possible in order to save costs. ... So the BMW Technik team began by retrieving what was available to them. The most suitable platform was the one then under development for the Compact versions of the E36 3-sieries cars and scheduled for 1994 introduction. This shared the 2700mm wheelbase of the saloon and coupe' models - too long for a roadster, although it could easily be shortened - but its attraction lay in a more compact rear suspension. ... The semi-trailing arm rear suspension was certainly not the best BMW had in production, and actually dated back to the supeseded E30 models of the 1980s. ... As development proceeded, so other minor alterations were made to the Compact's running gear, the most important perhaps being increases in the track of 7mm at the front and 14mm at the rear, together with firmer spring and damper rates, bigger-diameter anti-roll bars and a quicker power-assisted steering rack."
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I could not find anything to state which end this is supposed to fit on - although it looks a little like a Butt Strut. Even so, it would lose a lot of ground clearance compared to the real thing - if it would fit a Z3. Perhaps it is meant to fit under the engine . . . or not. After all, it does specify that it is frm an E36, which is a different animal altogether.

I would advise you to avoid it.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

You've already got a much better brace already fitted under the car, commonly called the X-brace that ties near the two wishbone lollipots to the engine subframe. I think only early 1.9s didn't have them.

That yellow brace will just bolt across near the lollypops/front wishbone bush brackets. It is probably off a 3.0 M3/E36 cabriolet which didn't have an X-Brace but came with a thicker straight bar than standard E36 models. You can see the smaller holes where the undertray screws to it. It probably would fit as the z3 is all E36 at the front, but as said you already have what was/is referred to as a Motorsport part also fitted to the E36 M3 EVO/cabriolets.

It is pretty worthless as nobody in their right mind would fit that over a plentiful x-brace.