Insuring your Zed

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mvslaney

Z3 roadster 2.8

Insuring your Zed

Post by mvslaney »

I have spoken to a number of insrance brokers to try and insurance my 1999 Z3 2.8 on a classic car policy but they have said it does not qualify as a classic car on a limited mileage poilicy. Have any of you had a similar problem?
Grant Moss

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Insuring your Zed

Post by Grant Moss »

I contacted my insurance company when I bought my 1999 Z3 1.9 and they suggested I put it onto the same policy as the car I already had covered with them, so its now called a multi car Policy, the cost was £110 for 12 months to put the Z onto it.

This made sense as I can only drive one of them at a time !!!!!

A very good price in my opinion.

This was with Aviva.

Good Luck in getting a good price.

Grant
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

I can understand that.

As much as we may like our Zeds, to the wider world they are just old, cheap sports cars.

I have used Confused.com over the nearly three years that I've owned my car and been pleased with the premiums offered.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Classic Line view the Z3 as a classic car. Had mine with them for 2 years, but as normal insurance renewals went higher than initial offers. so now with LV

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
sapper-b

Z4 sDrive20i

Post by sapper-b »

Mine's insured with 'Wise owl' as a classic
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

My understanding is that any car that fits the insurer's criteria of a classic car will qualify - it has nothing to do with whether they consider the car to be a classic.

Some insist on a mileage limit, must be garaged, must be a member of a recognised car club, etc., but all insurers are different - shop around.

Multicar policies are really advantageous if you are the only driver on each of the policies - for the reason mentioned. If there are two cars with two drivers on each policy for example, the only saving is the usual bulk purchase saving.
Pingu
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by maurice the martian »

Its all in a name mines on a cherished car policy.
M
Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

Been with Adrian flux since I bought zebedee,on classic insurance £169.00 fully comp

They did offer me an agreed value policy at renewal this year in October
The only bad thing about owning a Z3 is bedtime .......boing!! time for bed said zebedee

Z3 cosmos black individual 2.0

X1 /MSport XDrive 2.0d mineral white
Lexybhoy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lexybhoy »

Topperz wrote:Been with Adrian flux since I bought zebedee,on classic insurance £169.00 fully comp

They did offer me an agreed value policy at renewal this year in October
Talk about being paranoid ....!!! My Hillman Minx is insured with Adrian Flux, but when I tried to add the Z3 onto it, they said it wasn't a car they were prepared to insure ???

Maybe I should've challenged them on it.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I'm also with Adrian Flux, although not on a classic car policy.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Mines with Adrian Flux as a classic along with the other BM, but as with all insurances brokers / companies they try it on every year to increase the premium.
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
Bi11

M roadster S54

Post by Bi11 »

I'm with Classic line as well. Must be second car, at least 10 years old, garaged and limited mileage.
911sc

M roadster S54

Post by 911sc »

I found several firms who would insure it as a classic but in the end, the best premium came from adding the BMW to my multicar policy with Admiral which currently covers daughter and wife's cars.
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

the joys of being a garage owner motortrade policy me and the mrs any car up to a value of £20k each. fully comp (currently have 4 cars named on this policy)£650 covers us for motorbikes too 8-)
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

beerbelly wrote:the joys of being a garage owner motortrade policy me and the mrs any car up to a value of £20k each. fully comp (currently have 4 cars named on this policy)£650 covers us for motorbikes too 8-)
That sound a good price for Trade Insurance, paid that twenty years ago
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

I am with Classicline as well. Mileage is limited (but you decide what the limit is). Big advantage for me is that most pre-notified track events are covered at no additional cost. This included the Silverstone Classic Parade lap last year which I found was classed as a "track event" and any damage would not be covered by standard insurance. Having checked with several insureres, at any track event each driver insurses there own car, you cannot claim from the other person. Gave me peace of mind anyway.