'quirky' rear fog lights.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

'quirky' rear fog lights.

Post by Boosh »

Hi all,
I'm sure you'll tell me if I'm mistaken, but I think there's something not quite right with my rear fog lights: I can switch them on when no other light is on, or when side lights are on, but not when road lights are on! Being French, you'd think I wouldn't hesitate about bodging up the electrics, but, just this once, I'll call upon your wisdom for some advice. I would think/hope it's simply something to do with the (chrome) switch, but I wouldn't know: a.-how to pull it out, and b.-what the wiring should be like in the first place...
Any connoisseurs amongst our ranks?
Thanks,
Boosh.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: 'quirky' rear fog lights.

Post by Boosh »

Well, after talking to various people, it seems it might also be a faulty relay. Could any of you at least confirm or deny that rear fog lights can be activated without any other light on? In order to check the relay, is there a similar one I can swap with?
Thanks,
Boosh
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

Hi bosh, I will check our zed tomorrow afternoon & get back to you.
Regards
mwpe

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mwpe »

The rear fog lights only come when the headlights are on. Your situation sounds strange. Here is a link to the wiring diagrams which I found on Bimmerforums.

http://www.gbnetwork.co.uk/bmw/downloadetm.html :)
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

Just checked our car & the fogs will only come on if at least the sidelights are on, with no lights on the fogs do not work.
Regards
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I checked this today on my pre-facelift UK spec 1.9 and the rear foglights only come on when the headlamps are on dipped beam. Only the taillights are on when they are on sidelights.

Post-facelift and non-UK cars might be different.

Cheers R
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Thanks, guys, that's what I thought... I'm not great with electrics, so short of being told/shown what to do, I might play it safe and have the Zed looked at.
Thanks for you help,
Boosh.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Mystery solved!! Having two tyres fitted today, I noticed that my left brake light was out. I replaced it once I got home, and realised that the right side light was also out. Suspecting something dodgy, I swapped side light bulbs over, and as expected, the working light changed side. I replaced the faulty bulb, checked it, and played around with the rear fog light: all ok! So, there you have it: if the rear fog lights aren't working properly, first thing to do is to check the other bulbs!
Thanks for helping out,
Boosh.
Smartbear

blank

Post by Smartbear »

That sounds strange, can't see how having a bulb out would let you turn on the fogs without the lights being on?
Regards
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Being a sceptic, I would put that down coincidence and a bad contact. :wink:

Tony.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Well, it seems you both are right. Had another check, and everything works fine indeed, so long as the ignition is only on position I. When in position II (whether engine running or not), problem reappears just as described in original post. I also noticed that I don't seem to have a light on dash to indicate that lights are on, though the rear fog light one does work (only as and when the actual fog light is on, though). Does that help with troubleshooting?
Thanks,
Boosh.