AC Schnitzer short shifter

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

AC Schnitzer short shifter

Post by ('_')Z3 »

I'm contemplating buying the above and was wondering if anyone had any experience of the AC Schnitzer short shifter? Does it make much of a difference? Is it easy to fit? Any advice appreciated :rtm:

Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: AC Schnitzer short shifter

Post by Rafolian »

Looks like a very expensive piece of kit. I bought a short shifter off E-Bay a couple of years ago for I think about 30 or 40 quid, but when I tried to fit it the assembly was secured by a large circlip from underneath which would have necessitated removing the propshaft to get at. After a bit of head scratching (and a lot of swearing) I took it apart and dicovered that the ball section of the lever was the same diameter as the original one and the lever fitted straight into the original white nylon socket, result, 5 min job! All a short shifter is, is the gearlever with the fulcrum point moved further up the lever!
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Oh, forgot to add, yes combined with a Hamann gearknob I think it has made a big difference!
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Rafolian wrote:Looks like a very expensive piece of kit. I bought a short shifter off E-Bay a couple of years ago for I think about 30 or 40 quid, but when I tried to fit it the assembly was secured by a large circlip from underneath which would have necessitated removing the propshaft to get at. After a bit of head scratching (and a lot of swearing) I took it apart and dicovered that the ball section of the lever was the same diameter as the original one and the lever fitted straight into the original white nylon socket, result, 5 min job! All a short shifter is, is the gearlever with the fulcrum point moved further up the lever!
Do you have a link to the one you bought please? Always fancied doing this mod.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Rafolian wrote:All a short shifter is, is the gearlever with the fulcrum point moved further up the lever!
Exactly. Looks like a very over-engineered piece of kit that nobody is going to see.

Yes the exhaust, heatshield, fan & cowling and the propshaft have to come off and the rear of the gearbox has to be lowered to fit the whole thing.
Pingu
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

pingu wrote:
Rafolian wrote:All a short shifter is, is the gearlever with the fulcrum point moved further up the lever!
Exactly. Looks like a very over-engineered piece of kit that nobody is going to see.

Yes the exhaust, heatshield, fan & cowling and the propshaft have to come off and the rear of the gearbox has to be lowered to fit the whole thing.

So how many hours work would you say? Bearing in mind I wouldn't be doing it, and would be leaving it to the professionals :rtm:
DAVE P

M coupe S50

Post by DAVE P »

I have one of these kits fitted to my M Coupe and it does make a difference, I have just read the installation instructions and you wont need to remove the prop or exhaust (although it must be a lot easier with them out of the way)
also I have bought the 2.2 Ltr version as I wanted a replacement gear knob but it worked out cheaper to buy the full kit from AC Schnitzer in Germany for €149 as listed on ebay Germany (link below)

AC-Schnitzer BMW Z3 Short Shift Sportschaltung

http://www.ebay.de/itm/AC-Schnitzer-BMW ... 5882120c9a
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

g8jka, type in BMW Z3 quickshifter in EBAYUK and the same kit is from 20 quid to 33 quid!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

('_')Z3 wrote:
pingu wrote:

So how many hours work would you say? Bearing in mind I wouldn't be doing it, and would be leaving it to the professionals :rtm:
I would say one to two hours. You could leave the propshaft connected, but access would be tight, especially as the lever that holds the front pin in is awkward enough with everything removed. If they lower the back of the gearbox, just hope they know that the fan may foul the radiator.
Pingu
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

That's great thank you.
I spoke to the local indie today and they said they would be reluctant to touch due the complicated nature of getting instructions for the procedure, and they've encountered problems in the past. But he did say if I took it along for them to have a look at they may take it on :roll: