How much for a good full respray?

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I'm in the market for a top quality job doing on the motor to finish it off. Had some panels re-sprayed over the winter by a local shop (including the hamann top) and he had made a poor job of it.

I have been to a very good spray shop today who seem very capable (place full of expensive cars) and examples there were really good. He wants the car for a month and the job will be full re-spray with top quality paint, all wet sanded and polished. Its a place recommended online and no doubt the job will be perfect. Confident in that from what I saw. Guy promises zero defects on all panels on pickup. Downside is it £3.7k. I was hoping for 2-3k. Main concern I had on the price is he quoted 70 hrs labour at 35/hr and 1200 on materials. I really cant see how the materials can be so much.

Lessons from the past is that a budget or partial job on a respray is going to leave me dissatisfied. Are there any options for a similar job for less money? Anyone have any personal experience of a top quality spray job?

The car is Z3m with hamann hardtop and diffusers.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: How much for a good full respray?

Post by Dino D »

A highly recommended place down here in Kent quieted me around 2-2,5k http://legendvs.com/
Charge more for a hardtop car but being a roadster it's effectively a windows down job.

Not sure what materials go for but it's a small car with no roof, sills and panels bolt on and off, bumper take minutes to remove and it's not a flip paint job (unless M silver attracts M taxes too!)
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Cheers Dino. Was that price inc VAT? With the extra panels maybe would be nearer 3?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Mark, send Phil a pm, he had his car painted a while ago.

Paint can be expensive, dependent on brand, Ford Raven Black is around £45/litre whilst Lambo Yellow came to £450/litre

I've had a couple of Mustangs painted with some minor bodywork and they cost £2500 and I would say they were not of a quality that I know you would want for your Zed.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

I think it may have been plus vat but it's a while back.
If you mention Pistonheads he'll do a discount, I'll dig up the thread.
Here it is:
http://mobile.pistonheads.com/gassing/t ... &mid=54378
I met Martin, nice knowledgeable chap and they do lots of performance cars and special colours ext.

Another place here which is well renowned is KDS Keltec. OCD and attention to detail is what that are about but prices reflect - just found a thread here and Z4 owner paid 3.9k...
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62880

Handily they are next to Lepsons wheels..
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Wow, 450 a litre...how many liters to do a Z?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Price sounds pretty good to me for a full respray, properly prepped and top quality finish.

Although I may be used to porsche prices lol where you are looking at £5-6k. I guess pro rata down for less prep work required on the roady and it's about right. What warranty will they give on it ?
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Gazza wrote: Paint can be expensive, dependent on brand, Ford Raven Black is around £45/litre whilst Lambo Yellow came to £450/litre

I would suggest paint can be expensive dependant on cost of car and owners wealth from that example. I am sure Lambo yellow is no more expensive than a Ford yellow to produce. May get discount due to quantities made, unless of course the base material is gold.

Don't forget that the ///M Arctic Silver is dearer than your common Arctic Silver, so be prepared for their uplift in paint cost.... :D

What about a quote from your local BMW dealers, they will do repairs to 60K cars so they should be able to do a quality job?

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Just a thought Deano but given that you run American muscle in your M shouldn't you be paying homage with a more American paint job or wrap to match the sound?
It's not like you can be discreet when rumbling around with that engine anyway!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

gookah wrote:
Gazza wrote: Paint can be expensive, dependent on brand, Ford Raven Black is around £45/litre whilst Lambo Yellow came to £450/litre

I am sure Lambo yellow is no more expensive than a Ford yellow to produce. May get discount due to quantities made, unless of course the base material is gold.

The Lambo Yellow is made up of Base coat, Colour coat and finally Pearl laquer, each at £150/litre no matter how much you buy. Don't forget, the car owner doesn't buy the paint initially, the Bodyshop does.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

There is quality and there is QUALITY. I had the front bumper resprayed on our Alpina just a few weeks ago by a BMW approved body shop that resprayed my M some years ago. They reckon around £400 per panel so that's about 10 panels - bonnet, boot,2 doors, 2 wings, 2 rears, 2 bumpers - so around £4000 incl Vat. They had an old E Type Jag in for a post restoration respray at £12000 and that was cheap.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Thanks for the comments guys. Price seems normal then for a good job. Just need to decide whether I want to spend the cash now, or later in the year when its off the road.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Are ou staying with Silver or going to think outside the box ?
Gazza

ImageImage
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

I'd wait Deano and do it over winter. You might want to call by paintworx in Darlington - they have done a sterling job on my coupe
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Pingu had his fully resprayed last year for less than that if I remember rightly, I don't want to quote other people's financial figures but Im sure he will tell you if you ask him
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

I would expect to pay 3-4k for a really good job.

Proper prep work and wet sanding to finish off.

You get what you pay for.

Mark, after you have it done, I'd recommend paint shield protection.

I've had it on mine for a few years and it's excellent.

Mark

The 'BEAST' 666
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

bertiejaffa wrote:Pingu had his fully resprayed last year for less than that if I remember rightly, I don't want to quote other people's financial figures but Im sure he will tell you if you ask him
Nothing stopping you quoting what's already on the web :wink: .

Mine was £1955.75 all in. £1500+VAT + parts

Parts included

Windscreen weatherstrip (51.31.8.397.613)
10 clips for the gills (51.13.2.495.559)
2 Heated washer nozzles (61.66.8.376.011)
10 clips for the gills (53.13.8.399.231)
Tyre Pressure Label (71.21.2.122.647)
12 Rivets to secure rear bumper (51.11.1.908.077)

You saw the job last week, so you know the standard.

The contact is Colin James BMW Sytner (Sheffield) 01142 755077
Pingu
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

I've just had my car brought back up to near pristine condition. The white wrap has been removed, Front and rear bumpers sprayed along with lower quarters. Wheels powder coated and brakes painted.

Bodywork was £780

Wheels £280

Brakes £120

Full valet £400

Those panels alone are half the car.

Lee
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Sounds similar to me... I haven't got the car back yet so can't comment on the workmanship yet but as they service all my cars it will (have to be) be top notch :lol:

4 Brake Calipers Sprayed
Front Bumper Removed, Fixed and Resprayed
Rear Bumper Removed, Fixed and Resprayed
Dint in Rear Wing Removed and Resprayed
Scratch in Passenger Door Removed and Resprayed
Scratch in Passenger Front Wing Removed and Resprayed
BMW Rear Aero spoiler stripped down, cut to accommodate the BMW Badge (ala Daz3) sprayed and fitted
4 wheels stripped, refurbed and re-coated

£600
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Joycey wrote:I've just had my car brought back up to near pristine condition. The white wrap has been removed, Front and rear bumpers sprayed along with lower quarters. Wheels powder coated and brakes painted.

Bodywork was £780

Wheels £280

Brakes £120

Full valet £400

Those panels alone are half the car.

Lee
Did they quote you a price for a full respray by any chance?