Change of wheels, opinions?

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
oxheart

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oxheart »

Hi guys,

As mine are kerbed and i need some new front tyres anyway i am looking to change from my style 55 16" wheels to these
which i believe are style 78s?:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111640224846? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Just wondering if you think these look a good deal, and is the staggered setup correct? i Currently have 225/50 all round.

Cheers
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

These are nice wheels and a popular one for Z3's as they look good.
I have a set for winter.
These ones seem a bit expensive but the seller probably knows they don't come up often.
I would check on the age of the tyres first as if they are very old then you may want to change them making 550 +new tyres quite a lot!

If the tyres are ok you could argue that as part-worns they sell for £50each so 200 for the tyres and 350 for the rims. A fair deal when you look at that way.
These can also be powder coated very cheaply, some members have had then done for 30-50 a wheel.

Staggered set up looks correct to me, these wheels were only available on Z's as far as I know.

One other comment, it has different tread patterns on each of the front. I don't like different tyres across the same axle as sometimes make it feels strange but these patterns don't look radically different.

At the end of the day these will transform the look I you car especially if you are the original 16's so for that reason alone it worth it!
You can always replace tyres, they are always freely available!
Last edited by Dino D on Sat 25 Apr, 2015 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Change of wheels, opinions?

Post by Dino D »

And a pic as they look so nice!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

My only comment about wheels is

Get some that are easy to clean :) .
Pingu
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

these (and the 42s) are the best wheel in my opinion - my 2.0l has the 42s on them and I keep searching in vain for M size 78s. Would be worth asking the age of the tyres... 6mm of tread is great but if the tread is 5-6 years old which can easily be the case if they are on a 2nd/summer car then you will suffer badly with tram lining and will need to change the tyre. The month/year of manufacture are on the tyre side wall so ask the question. If they are "new" then as Dino said its probably a fair price (if at the top end).

As Pingu said - they can be a bit of a fiddle to clean, a full clean is much easier with the wheel removed - depends how long you like to spend cleaning and polishing. When I do mine I have a thick hand mitt

My only concern is that 1 wheel is slightly herbed and the seller says they could do with a respray - this will potentially be an additional £30 a wheel... as such this will put you up to £670 which then becomes expensive IMHO - I would be tempted to offer £450 if the tyres are ok.
Last edited by bertiejaffa on Sat 25 Apr, 2015 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
oxheart

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oxheart »

Thanks a lot guys, your posts have been a great help. I've emailed asking about the age of the tyres so fingers crossed they will be relatively new and I can make them an offer. I want these wheels! Dino they look great on your car, what are your summer wheels?
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Good luck, hope you get them.
What color is your car?
These look good in shadow chrome too on some colours..

Funny you mention the summer wheels, they have just been refurbished and yesterday I sealed them with Gtechniq and will fit today:

Yes I like cleaning wheels!
The lips are now bare aluminum with a diamond top polish so regular polishing will keep then tip top rather than the lacquered finish which doesn't last very long in UK weather!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Dino D wrote:Good luck, hope you get them.
What color is your car?
These look good in shadow chrome too on some colours..

Yes I like cleaning wheels!
The lips are now bare aluminum with a diamond top polish so regular polishing will keep then tip top rather than the lacquered finish which doesn't last very long in UK weather!
they look great - did you buy beer bellys?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

^what are 'beer bellys'...??!
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

@oxheart
I just remembered there is a place on in Sussex that specialize in used BMW wheels. They often sell wheels already refurbed too.
Can't remember the name but have google or maybe someone here will know.
I first saw them on eBay and if think they advertise in one of the BMW magazines too.

Also worth calling these BMW only breakers in Kent: http://www.bmw-spares.com
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Dino D wrote:^what are 'beer bellys'...??!
he is a forum member who was selling some of these very recently
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

bertiejaffa wrote:
Ah yes, the ones for £200. They would some up just like this after the same treatment, I was tempted too but already have 2 sets of wheels!

I actually thought 'beer belly' was some sort of wheel sealant or something (cleaning products have some strange names!).
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Dino D wrote:
bertiejaffa wrote:
Ah yes, the ones for £200. They would some up just like this after the same treatment, I was tempted too but already have 2 sets of wheels!

I actually thought 'beer belly' was some sort of wheel sealant or something (cleaning products have some strange names!).
ha ha - thats great. Yeah I was happy when someone else bought them... I was seriously tempted but Ive just had the ones on my M refurbished so had to keep sitting on my hands to stop me putting an offer in
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I love these wheels, they are the best looking standard wheel that can be fitted on any zed in my opinion. I picked up a set a few years back and refurbished them myself to begin with but eventually had them powder coated last winter for £30 a wheel and they cam out looking great.

Started like this originally :shock:

Came out looking like this after I had them powder coated in sparkle silver. I think next time I would have them powder coated in a darker colour.

If I was you I'd put in a cheeky offer for them :D
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
oxheart

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oxheart »

Dino D wrote:@oxheart
I just remembered there is a place on in Sussex that specialize in used BMW wheels. They often sell wheels already refurbed too.
Can't remember the name but have google or maybe someone here will know.
I first saw them on eBay and if think they advertise in one of the BMW magazines too.

Also worth calling these BMW only breakers in Kent: http://www.bmw-spares.com
Thanks Dino, i found that place in Sussex via google might well be calling them along with those breakers in Kent :)

Those summer wheels of yours look awesome too!

Heard back from the seller, two of the tyres are over 6 years old so would need to be replaced, the other two are both 3 years old. Also with closer inspection of the pictures it seems as though only one of the alloys isn't kerbed (questioned the seller on this and he ignored the question, always a good sign!) so all in all i would be looking at getting 3 alloys refurbished plus two new tyres as well as the initial outlay for the wheels. If i make an offer i will factor this into it, so i'm sure it will be too low for him to accept.

My laptop packed in at the weekend so the mrs isn't going to be too pleased at me still considering some new wheels! I guess i'll have to work some magic with her :wink:

@g8jka sparkle silver looks nice from the pics, would be interesting to see them in a darker colour. Graphite seems to be "in" at the moment. Has anyone got photos of these wheels in darker colours?

Cheers
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

There is another set of 42s on Ebay - listed as 78s.... cheaper but need attention. Not sure if they will fit
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

oxheart wrote:would be interesting to see them in a darker colour. Graphite seems to be "in" at the moment. Has anyone got photos of these wheels in darker colours?

Cheers
Here you go ;)

oxheart

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oxheart »

@dino Forgot to say, I've got a black zed, colour coded.

Ooh they are nice Brian, thanks for the pics. They should look nice on black zeds too.

Thanks for the heads up Bertie I'll check those out.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Some have come up for sale over here:
BMW Z3 Style 78 BBS Alloys https://zroadster.org/index.php?threads ... loys.7652/