What did you buy your Z3 this week ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: What did you buy your Z3 this week ?

Post by Gordon13 »

Not very Glamorous but well worth it :D

Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Filled her up again, another 35 quid of go juice!!
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Full tank of premium ready for the trip to Santa pod
Last edited by Bowler on Sun 20 Sep, 2015 13:51, edited 2 times in total.
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

New Hoover from Screwfix
£35 same shape and size as an Henry, Dry and wet vac works a treat third of the price.
Stripy lines on the carpet :lol:
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Rafolian wrote:Filled her up again, another 35 quid of go juice!!
Hi Rafolian. I am curious but also confused about info in the Z3 Owner Handbook and about the "Filling-up" of your Z3. Based upon your fuel costing you £1.09/litre,which would equate to circa 32.11 litres !!!!,all of 7.0631 gallons.
Are you topping up to full and necking it,or what ?
According to the Owner Handbook the tank holds approximately 51 litres (16.4 gal) which includes a reserve of approx 8 litres (2.1 gal) ?????

For starters :- 51 litres is 11.2184 Imperial gallons of which 8 litres is 1.7597 Imperial gallons and not the 2.1 gallons as indicated in the book !!!!!!!!!!!!

Now - away from the BMW Owner Handbook and back to reality and hard facts.
The greatest amount of fuel that has ever gone into my Z3 was 43.56 litres (9.5818 imperial gallons) and that was into the neck/overspill vented reservoir;I had covered some 20 miles once the fuel light had illuminated. That little exercise cost me all of £46.91.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote: Hi Rafolian. I am curious but also confused about info in the Z3 Owner Handbook and about the "Filling-up" of your Z3. Based upon your fuel costing you £1.09/litre,which would equate to circa 32.11 litres !!!!,all of 7.0631 gallons.
Are you topping up to full and necking it,or what ?
According to the Owner Handbook the tank holds approximately 51 litres (16.4 gal) which includes a reserve of approx 8 litres (2.1 gal) ?????
I'm guessing it wasn't completely empty when he filled it up.
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Yes it was completely empty, the fuel light was on for a while.
I pay approx 80 pence per litre equivalent, while diesel is just over 70p!
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Rafolian wrote:Yes it was completely empty, the fuel light was on for a while.
I pay approx 80 pence per litre equivalent, while diesel is just over 70p!
Hi again Rafolian. Now I realise why you would put £35.00 worth of fuel into your Z3 but that still is only circa 43.75 litres - mine was 43.56 litres.

Based upon what you have quoted and my own experience we are both finding that the BMW Z3 Owner Handbook is giving Bullshit info as per my earlier post,I am going to ring my local BMW dealer tomorrow and ask them for some info on my findings.
The reality is that all of the Owner Handbooks for the Z3 series have had incorrect fuel tank info from day one albeit the fuel gauges could be giving totally erroneous readings and there is a great-deal more fuel in the tank than the reserve amount would indicate at the point of the light coming on.

Have you ever come to a complete standstill because of a total lack of fuel in the tank ?
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote: Based upon what you have quoted and my own experience we are both finding that the BMW Z3 Owner Handbook is giving Bullshit info as per my earlier post,I am going to ring my local BMW dealer tomorrow and ask them for some info on my findings.
The reality is that all of the Owner Handbooks for the Z3 series have had incorrect fuel tank info from day one albeit the fuel gauges could be giving totally erroneous readings and there is a great-deal more fuel in the tank than the reserve amount would indicate at the point of the light coming on.

What exactly are your 'findings' and what info are you actually querying? The capacity of the fuel tank, I assume. Unless you are running the tank dry and actually completely running out of fuel, I'm not sure how you are measuring the tank capacity. If you're using the fuel light as some sort of marker, then you need to realise that it isn't - when the light comes on will vary from car to car.

As for the info in the handbook, are you sure you're not looking at an American handbook? 8 litres is 2.1 US Gallons.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

BladeRunner919 wrote:
ARoosterinaRoadster wrote: Based upon what you have quoted and my own experience we are both finding that the BMW Z3 Owner Handbook is giving Bullshit info as per my earlier post,I am going to ring my local BMW dealer tomorrow and ask them for some info on my findings.

What exactly are your 'findings' and what info are you actually querying? The capacity of the fuel tank, I assume. Unless you are running the tank dry and actually completely running out of fuel, I'm not sure how you are measuring the tank capacity. If you're using the fuel light as some sort of marker, then you need to realise that it isn't - when the light comes on will vary from car to car.

As for the info in the handbook, are you sure you're not looking at an American handbook? 8 litres is 2.1 US Gallons.
Hi BladeRunner. Firstly I am not running the tank dry and most certainly - never would.

Mt findings are as follows :- the original Owner Handbook gives the fuel tank capacities as 51 litres which includes a reserve amount (light on) of 8 litres.
The conversion to gallons is not Imperial Gallons but US Gallons !!!!!!!!
It - the handbook - was not/is not written for the UK market were it was made available with every new Z3 sold by UK dealers.

The Z3 was seemingly built in America albeit they were sold throughout the world and in-particular across Europe and the UK. The figures (litre conversions) relate to American gallons - I find that to be most peculiar and especially seeing I believe that the UK was still quoting Imperial Gallons when the Z3 was first conceived.
Gordon13

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gordon13 »

:D Shiny bits :D

Edges

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Edges »

18" MV2 alloys off my 325, a new e46 clubsport gear knob, buffer stop for the fuel flap, oil filter housing gasket and o ring. Had a leak but in process of being fixed!
sirius-c

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by sirius-c »

6 of these

Designed or not designed, that is the question.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Oil leak got worse :( New crankshaft oil seal,so new clutch, clutch release bearing and gaskets while we were at it (old one was oily and done 128k). Also crankshaft end plate found to have fractured for some reason, so replaced too. Regas aircon. All done by a man who is a highly respected Sytner trained indi in Leicester. Cost? A damn sight cheaper than Sytner, but don't ask! C'est la vie :roll:
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Koolflyer wrote:Oil leak got worse :( New crankshaft oil seal,so new clutch, clutch release bearing and gaskets while we were at it (old one was oily and done 128k). Also crankshaft end plate found to have fractured for some reason, so replaced too. Regas aircon. All done by a man who is a highly respected Sytner trained indi in Leicester. Cost? A damn sight cheaper than Sytner, but don't ask! C'est la vie :roll:
ouch……..does not sound like fun.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

ouch……..does not sound like fun
Too right, but at least I now know it's a job that's not 'lurking', and also done by Barry Deadman, who is extremely respected around these parts. (helpful guy too). Sorry I missed you at the track day this year at the Park, but I was Zedless! Hope you had a good day and see you next year. :drive
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

One of these;

Heavy condesation in the car night time. It basicly just sucks it up and stores the water in the container. Lets hope it works :)

Also done some shopping at nm-motorsport, some interior stuff coming in the mail 8-)
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

thompy93 wrote:One of these;

Heavy condesation in the car night time. It basicly just sucks it up and stores the water in the container. Lets hope it works :)

Also done some shopping at nm-motorsport, some interior stuff coming in the mail 8-)
Hi thompy. Heavy condensation during the overnight period would lead me to thinking that there was a leak that needed attending to - possibly getting in and pooling beneath the carpets !!!!
I don't know what you paid for your Condensation Trap but some years back I had a very large Static Caravan in Northumberland and it has always been advised and practised to put them into the cupboards and wardrobes to prevent damp/mildew collecting.

The Original Factory Shop is the place to get them from and probably by now they are circa £1.40 each. Three years ago I was paying 99p/£1.10p each for them and they would hold masses of liquid and the effect was visible through a clear body and served as an indicator to replace the unit.
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:
thompy93 wrote:One of these;

Hi thompy. Heavy condensation during the overnight period would lead me to thinking that there was a leak that needed attending to - possibly getting in and pooling beneath the carpets !!!!
I don't know what you paid for your Condensation Trap but some years back I had a very large Static Caravan in Northumberland and it has always been advised and practised to put them into the cupboards and wardrobes to prevent damp/mildew collecting.

The Original Factory Shop is the place to get them from and probably by now they are circa £1.40 each. Three years ago I was paying 99p/£1.10p each for them and they would hold masses of liquid and the effect was visible through a clear body and served as an indicator to replace the unit.

I had a small leak about a week ago during extreme weather with heavy rain. But that wasnt enough to last this long, but the air humidity is between 80-90% during the night here. I guess that is a big factor. I know for sure that there is some sort of air leak, but not any water getting through.

The collector didnt cost much, cant get it much cheaper here, and is meant to last 1-3 months depending on the conditions.

Regarding the air leak. Over the window sealing there is a small rubber lip, is that supposed to be fastened to the soft top right above the window? Mine is not attached there, but does not leak water, but air gets in and out easy, it gets attached further back. Supposed to be like that? Dont have anyone to compare with. :?
Bananasport

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bananasport »

A buddy for banana sport (02 2.2 Dakar yellow Z sport) albeit short term as Bsport has a FOR SALE sign stuck on her screen I hope she can't read. After searching and looking at six 3.0 litres I nearly gave up finding a car as good as my Bsport then up came JohnZ3's an 03 3.0 litre sport in an unmarked individual BMW colour similar to metallic Estoril blue, unmarked rear window, full service history, A/C, updated leather sports seats & trim, computer, cruise, wind deflector, dk.blue power hood, hi fi speaker system, AC pedal covers & valve caps,footwell lighting, matching stone guards,chrome wheel nuts, matching colour door handles, centre leather arm rest /cup holder, strut brace plus numerous other extras including matching spray paint can, safety belt pads even a little accident kit supplied by the original BMW agent which includes a camera,tape measure & note book all in a little case. All this was generously passed over by JohnZ3 who was so helpful. The whole sale was buttoned up so quickly and friendly , I feel very happy and will now start to fit AC chrome rollovers,Simota air filter,Bilstein shocks (if required) and Focal speakers & amp. & maybe Angel eyes. Will now try and include some pictures. Unsuccessful will try later.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Bananasport wrote:A buddy for banana sport (02 2.2 Dakar yellow Z sport) albeit short term as Bsport has a FOR SALE sign stuck on her screen I hope she can't read. After searching and looking at six 3.0 litres I nearly gave up finding a car as good as my Bsport then up came JohnZ3's an 03 3.0 litre sport in an unmarked individual BMW colour similar to metallic Estoril blue, unmarked rear window, full service history, A/C, updated leather sports seats & trim, computer, cruise, wind deflector, dk.blue power hood, hi fi speaker system, AC pedal covers & valve caps,footwell lighting, matching stone guards,chrome wheel nuts, matching colour door handles, centre leather arm rest /cup holder, strut brace plus numerous other extras including matching spray paint can, safety belt pads even a little accident kit supplied by the original BMW agent which includes a camera,tape measure & note book all in a little case. All this was generously passed over by JohnZ3 who was so helpful. The whole sale was buttoned up so quickly and friendly , I feel very happy and will now start to fit AC chrome rollovers,Simota air filter,Bilstein shocks (if required) and Focal speakers & amp. & maybe Angel eyes. Will now try and include some pictures. Unsuccessful will try later.
Big congrats, one of the last batch of z3s sold I reckon being on a 03 plate
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

Hi Mike.

I am glad the car has gone to a forum member and Z enthusiast. Good luck with posting pictures.......................

John
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3ddie »

New front wishbones and bushes - 1st MOT failure - cant complain as I have had it 15 years - drives in a straight line again! :lol:
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

My Zed failed it's ITV (MOT) on monday on a bottom outer balljoint and have ordered a new one on fleabay.
Does anyone know if the old one can be removed with the wishbone in situ, or does the wishbone have to be removed and the balljoint pushed out with an hydraulic press, as per the Bently manual?
Any info gratefully appreciated!!
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Rafolian wrote:My Zed failed it's ITV (MOT) on monday on a bottom outer balljoint and have ordered a new one on fleabay.
Does anyone know if the old one can be removed with the wishbone in situ, or does the wishbone have to be removed and the balljoint pushed out with an hydraulic press, as per the Bently manual?
I doubt it can be done in-situ. To be honest, you'd be better off just replacing the whole wishbone - they're not that expensive and my experience is that once you unbolt them from the car you will probably find excessive play in the other balljoint.
Cabrioot

Z1 roadster

Post by Cabrioot »

Brembo brakes front/rear fore the Z3 coupe
Front disk drilled :D
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
Rafolian wrote:My Zed failed it's ITV (MOT) on monday on a bottom outer balljoint and have ordered a new one on fleabay.
I doubt it can be done in-situ. To be honest, you'd be better off just replacing the whole wishbone - they're not that expensive and my experience is that once you unbolt them from the car you will probably find excessive play in the other balljoint.
yep, I had to remove mine, there are 2 ball joints. the hardest part I find is getting the new rubber bush onto the rear of the arm, easiest answer to this is to swap them for polly bushes, makes the job so much simpler.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

new cat-back exhaust from Germany - £34 wow, prob wont last that long for this price but hey I will just buy another in 2-3 years time, also brought a set of plugs
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Have to say, that is A1 Bargain. Even if it doesn't last (and probably won't), how many would you have to go through to catch up with dealer prices?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

littlefeller wrote:new cat-back exhaust from Germany - £34 wow, prob wont last that long for this price but hey I will just buy another in 2-3 years time, also brought a set of plugs
Where did you buy that?
Vince70

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Vince70 »

That's most probably one of these exhausts..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/161545926468
I bought one off eBay and I was expecting not much for the price but I didn't have the money to buy an expensive or genuine part but how wrong could I be and it will teach me to be such a pessimist..

It's the bargain of the century and the end of the exhaust has a large round aperture rather than oval unlike the original and it even has a Chrome end attached to it..

The quality seems top notch and it fits like a glove which most cheap exhaust don't and it really sounds nice as the car has developed a lovely low burble now..

Apparently Thyssen Krupp make the exhausts for new BMWs as well and I'm over the moon with mine...

Oh and this week I bought some seat height kit from America as someone on here has fitted one and has a good thread with pics on piston heads and I've got to do my seat rubbers anyway so when the car comes off the road at the end of the month I will give it a go then..
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

Vince70 wrote:That's most probably one of these exhausts..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/161545926468
I bought one off eBay and I was expecting not much for the price but I didn't have the money to buy an expensive or genuine part but how wrong could I be and it will teach me to be such a pessimist..

It's the bargain of the century and the end of the exhaust has a large round aperture rather than oval unlike the original and it even has a Chrome end attached to it..

The quality seems top notch and it fits like a glove which most cheap exhaust don't and it really sounds nice as the car has developed a lovely low burble now..

Apparently Thyssen Krupp make the exhausts for new BMWs as well and I'm over the moon with mine...

Oh and this week I bought some seat height kit from America as someone on here has fitted one and has a good thread with pics on piston heads and I've got to do my seat rubbers anyway so when the car comes off the road at the end of the month I will give it a go then..
yes thats the one, i must admit i wasn't expecting much but hey its really good, good fit, great price however the only downside is my z now sounds like it belongs too a 19 year old :lol: oh well i will just turn my stereo up abit more, does sound nice though if a bit loud but hey at that price i can live with it, i may even get to like it (sounds like i swapped the motor for something like out of a dodge viper)
heres the link i used
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161545926468? ... EBIDX%3AIT
still cant believe how much of a burgain this is, wish i had taken a photo now. The only real difference is it doest have the same kind of pre silencer that my oem one had, hence why it has a different sound (alot of people will like the sound it makes though)
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

A full valet inside and out ( 2 men 2 hours) €25 (approx 18 quid!!).
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

another tank of go juice took swmbo out to the Dales for a run out, great weather
peter2b
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

bit of glue to fix a bit of loose roof edge around the rear window
peter2b
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

peter2b wrote:bit of glue to fix a bit of loose roof edge around the rear window
peter2b

I got very good experience with TEC7 to fix around the rear window. The thread had gone up on both short sides of the window, since the previous owner never used the soft top and let it stay down for years. The "rubber" and the thread went up on the middle fold. TEC7, some hand sewing and applying pressure from both sides using magnets (macgyver style) and let it stay on till its dry. Probably the most waterproof spot on the roof atm :D
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

just got a matching hard top for my zed same year same colour I hope picking it up on Sunday
peter2b
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

peter2b wrote:just got a matching hard top for my zed same year same colour I hope picking it up on Sunday
peter2b
Hi Peter. I assume that you got it off of E'bay. Are you going with your Z and fitting it to bring it back or are your going in a Transit size van ?

When I got my hardtop I went in the Z and fitted it,or more correctly,Kevin did along with the kit and I just watched and then drove the 250+ miles back home.

I have a Volvo V70 but it would not go through the rear tailgate.
HomerRamone

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by HomerRamone »

I bought a clock to replace the broken one in the dash. Sadly the one I bought is different than the one that was there.. .so the plug is different. (Old one has large plug new one has small :()

Doh !
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I have a small,trailer that I used to bring a replacement bonnet home on so I'm using that with lots of padding
peter2b
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

peter2b wrote:I have a small,trailer that I used to bring a replacement bonnet home on so I'm using that with lots of padding
peter2b
Hi Pete.

Best of luck and don't forget the ropes to keep it in the trailer !!!!!
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

A pair of new air intake hoses to replace the old ones that were split
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

g8jka wrote:A pair of new air intake hoses to replace the old ones that were split
about time too..... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

got home ok not a make on it during our trip bit too dark to do any thing now have to wait till tommorow eve, nice chap Paul has just got a 1.9 zed but didn't want the hard top only had his zed 1 week still playing with his new toy
peter2b
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

peter2b wrote:got home ok not a make on it during our trip bit too dark to do any thing now have to wait till tommorow eve, nice chap Paul has just got a 1.9 zed but didn't want the hard top only had his zed 1 week still playing with his new toy
peter2b
Hi Peter. Did it come complete with the fitting kit,wiring loom and switch ? What colour is it ?
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

A new pair of matt black kidneys :lol:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Koolflyer wrote:A new pair of matt black kidneys :lol:
I prefer mine to be a healthy pinky/red colour.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:
peter2b wrote:got home ok not a make on it during our trip bit too dark to do any thing now have to wait till tommorow eve, nice chap Paul has just got a 1.9 zed but didn't want the hard top only had his zed 1 week still playing with his new toy
peter2b
Hi Peter. Did it come complete with the fitting kit,wiring loom and switch ? What colour is it ?
It's the same colour as either the bonnet or the rest of the car ,no rear fittings with it but I have taken pictures of the brackets and measurements so I'm going to have a go at making mine as my man shed has most things I need to do it, might take some time to get it right but might save £300+
Peter2b
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Bought an original dealer brochure for the Z. Nice bit of history. Also a radio aerial and amplifier (car never had one when purchased)
billibob

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by billibob »

Had the seats refurbished last week. Black with Blue centre. Looks like new. Work done by Midland Mars in Bloxwich. Nice guys. They said they had just done another Z3 with a cream interior in Solihull. Does this one belong to anyone on this forum as I am not far from Solihull. Anyway, very pleased. :)