door handles

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
littlefeller

blank

door handles

Post by littlefeller »

been looking at chrome door handles, then i came across these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-E36-3 ... 43e25de952
there plastic, but then i got thinking hey i could rough these up and color code them to my car, anyone done this before?
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: door handles

Post by johnz3 »

Did mine this way on my Z3 Estoril Blue 3.0i sport. Paint was mixed at Halfords. Roughed up with wet and dry, primed, painted and then lacquered. Came up a treat.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

ace, i will give it a go :)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Why not just colour code the existing handles? Saves you buying the chrome ones just to paint.
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by johnz3 »

I think it about getting them off to be able to spray
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Why not just colour code the existing handles? Saves you buying the chrome ones just to paint.
because there not nice and smooth, they have a kind of gripy finish, if i use the chrome plastic ones there all nice and smooth (just need roughing up for the primer to hold onto. i was looking at the metal ones as the chrome would go well with my dark montreal blue then the idea came to me to buy the cheaper plastic and colour code them instead. originaly i was going for the chrome as i was also going to use magnetic boot hinges for added retro looks, like these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOOT-HINGES-G ... 35db3d79b9

remove the threaded part and insert super strong small button magnets that i just happen to have in the shed :lol:
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

like this (boot hinges)
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

They must be fake hinges stuck to the boot lid, as the boot boesn't pivot about the centerpoint of those hinges. The boot lifts completely away from the bodywork at the leading edge.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

yes i know, the car in the pic is mine, the hinges will have magnets on the underside, there is no actual real attachment, the magnets are incredibly strong tiny button type used in the production of supermarket props and wont move. the pivot pin in the hinge would be removed and the top half of the hinge will stay in place as the boot is raised, or more simply the pivot could be locked in place and the whole hinge would simply go with the boot lid.