springs

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

springs

Post by Mugs »

i have been running my Z3 on PI shocks (shortened) and apex lowering springs which has made it handle really well but the ride has been bit hard for my back so i have been contemplating changing the springs for a little while now.
this week the council have decided that the main road by me needs resurfacing and they have decided that it needs mountain sized speed humps to slow the speed of the traffic. well now my stainless exhaust is scraping even on the lowest of these monsters so i have had to swap out the springs before my zed gets ripped to pieces.
i have just fitted the standard M(M-Tech) springs back on but she now looks (IMHO) like a 4x4 :(
i have Eibach Pro Kit springs fitted to my Impreza and find them really comfortable (in fact they ride better than the standard ones) and don't lower the too much.
has anyone had experience of these on a Z3 and if so what do they ride like and how much do they lower the car by?
if not the Eibachs, does anyone have experience of any other make of spring?
the springs i have put back on the zed are M-tech from a sport model so i am looking for something with the same kind of ride quality but a little lower.
any advice would be much appreciated.
thanks
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: springs

Post by Del »

Just a bit of extra non-z3 confirmation from me. Used the Eibach Pro Kit on a family hatchback (paired with b4s) and the ride was excellent and still comfortable - I'm of an age where I'm not a fan of excessive "lowering" and so I've surprised myself confirming this :D
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

i like the car lowered to a point where the arch gap is the same around the circumference, not where the top of the tyres disappear the arch and the car handles a little better not like a track car hence me wanting to change the springs in the first place. :wink:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I had a set of the Eibach Pro Kit springs fitted to my Z (2.8). The ride is perfectly comfortable. Problem I had was the same as you are experiencing - speed humps. I constantly had the front spoiler catching and occaisionaly the exhaust. The answer is to also fit the thicker spring rubber seats if you use the Eibach kit. They drop the car by around 30mm which may be about 10mm more than one would want. I also found the front tyres catching on the trim at the top of the wheel arch - the thin piece which is visible with the bonnet up - the tyre rubbed on it when going over bumps. I eventually fitted the thicker spring rubbers, and that made a considerable difference to "damage control". When I sold the 2.8, I replaced the OEM springs and kept my Pro Kit. I figured I didn't want the new owner suffering damage because he was less considerate a driver than I am... :wink:

Before fitting the pro kit.....

...and after fitting them, but before I fitted the thicker rubbers...

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

thanks Barry.
by the look of it they sit the same height as the Apex springs i have just taken off.
now the original springs have had time to settle in, the gap has gone down a bit and i'm getting used to the look.
i think if i lower it again i only need to go down about 15mm to get the perfect balance between ride height and ride quality.
does anyone make springs that are 15mm lower but a bit stiffer than the originals?
if not, i may remove the spring pads to get the rear down a bit.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I think using the thicker OEM pads with the Eibach kit is the answer. It ends up lowering only 20mm vs 30mm. Alternately get a set of coil overs which are adjustable. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

yeah, trouble is the pads only work on the rear springs. i would want to raise the front by the same amount to stop the arch rub and give more clearance when exiting the speed humps
Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Southernboy wrote:I think using the thicker OEM pads with the Eibach kit is the answer. It ends up lowering only 20mm vs 30mm. Alternately get a set of coil overs which are adjustable. :wink:
Do you know which spring pad thickness the car has from factory? #385, #386, or #387? and why next to #385 and #387 it says "only applied with red or white springs"? i assume it has the 7.5mm from factory and i have to put the 10mm pad if i want to raise it a bit?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I did a quick search in the Z3 Roadster posts. Seems some people have had this issue in the past. They "doubled up" on the pads. top and bottom / front and back. I can't tell you what colour codes mean... perhaps you should call a BMW dealer and ask.
"Normal is overrated"

Inferno

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by Inferno »

Southernboy wrote:I did a quick search in the Z3 Roadster posts. Seems some people have had this issue in the past. They "doubled up" on the pads. top and bottom / front and back. I can't tell you what colour codes mean... perhaps you should call a BMW dealer and ask.
sorry i forgot to post the link, by #385, #386, #387 i mean the part numbers ending in those numbers -> http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/Z3-Ro ... ing_strut/
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I'm not sure what pads are / were factory fitted. I guess if you check on realOEM.com it will tell you in the parts listing for your car. Whatever they were, they will have compressed a few mm over the past decade plus. So, even fitting new OEM pads will make a small difference.
"Normal is overrated"

Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

i am getting used to the look of it now so i think i may eave it as it is.
mine came with 5mm top and bottom pads but i did have the dreaded lean to the right hand side with it sitting 25mm (1") lower than the left so to compensate i put an extra 15mm of pad in the low side and now it sits level. i think it works out at approx 8mm rise for every 5mm of pad thickness.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Southernboy wrote: Image
Barry, what size wheels are those? 18s?
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Mugs wrote:yeah, trouble is the pads only work on the rear springs. i would want to raise the front by the same amount to stop the arch rub and give more clearance when exiting the speed humps
Fitting Z3M front top mounts will raise the car about 10mm. They would also reduce the negative camber from lowering slightly as they are offset.
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

c_w wrote:
Mugs wrote:yeah, trouble is the pads only work on the rear springs. i would want to raise the front by the same amount to stop the arch rub and give more clearance when exiting the speed humps
Fitting Z3M front top mounts will raise the car about 10mm. They would also reduce the negative camber from lowering slightly as they are offset.
OK, i didn't know they raised the front. i knew about the camber though.

i have now gone for 'phase 2' which i am finding is the balance between looks and handling. i have fitted the M coupe rear springs and the standard front springs keeping the PI shocks.
the ride is now like a BMW should be and although i have gained a little bit of body roll, it still handles really well and can be thrown round the lanes if i fancy a play. OK, the ride height is a lot higher than with the Apex springs but the gap between the arch and the tyre is the same all round the circumference. Obviously the camber has sorted itself out but the really strange thing is the tramlining has gone, completely. the only time i felt it was when the wheel was stuck in rut in the motorway caused by lorries but that would be felt in any car.
i can now drive with only one hand on the wheel so i now need an armrest.......Barry, you'll have to start up the factory again :wink: :lol: