HELP NEEDED PLEASE...

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Craig-L

Z3 roadster 2.8

HELP NEEDED PLEASE...

Post by Craig-L »

[https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater]

My rear wheels on my '99 2.8 widebody seem to be set about 15-20mm too back in the arches, one theory I have been given is the subframe has possibly been removed and not put back correctly, is this possible ??

Does anyone have any other ideas...?

Thanks
Craig
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: HELP NEEDED PLEASE...

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Are you saying that they are different from one side to the other?
Is it lowered? That will push the wheels back a bit.
Craig-L

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Craig-L »

No both sides are the same, the car has been lowered about 30 mm but I have seen Cars lowered 3 times this amount that don't have the problem.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I've encountered this (not personally) on one side - typically the nearside, when a trailing arm has been damaged by a hard thump against a high kerb. Apparently it is quite easily done. But for both sides to be identical is a bit strange - I don't buy the theory about the rear subframe being attached incorrectly - sounds a bit implausible.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Looks like after market wheels to me - what size are they? Could well be that they just dont fit the car very well.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Aftermarket wheels wouldn't make the wheels not centre in the arch, unless they're oval!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Aftermarket wheels wouldn't make the wheels not centre in the arch, unless they're oval!
He didnt say they arent central, he says they are set too far back into the arch. if the wheel is back into the arch then i would say the offset is wrong
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

bertiejaffa wrote:
BladeRunner919 wrote:Aftermarket wheels wouldn't make the wheels not centre in the arch, unless they're oval!
He didnt say they arent central, he says they are set too far back into the arch. if the wheel is back into the arch then i would say the offset is wrong
he is talking front to rear of car, not offset or inset.
If you look at the photo the gap is smaller to the bumper than it is to the rear wing behind the door.

Mine is lowered quite a bit but the wheel is still central

Are they different trailing arms than they should be?

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

ah... back as in towards the back.... not back as in back... speak proper England man :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Something is seriously wrong with that!
I don't see any way that standard parts in serviceable condition could cause an increased wheelbase.
If it were accident damage then you would not expect it to be the same both sides.
I would be tempted not to drive the car until it has been checked by someone who knows Z3 rear suspension.
Have you got anyone nearby with a similar car so you could take the wheel off and compare against yours?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Just looking at the pic you posted it seems as if the bumper isn't fitted correctly - seems to be hanging down a little if I use the "join" line / gap to the rear fender. I'm not sure it'll make a lot of difference though if you adjusted the bumper... It might be interesting to have a pic of the other wheel (left side of the car) to compare ...
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
RobTFC

M roadster S50

Post by RobTFC »

I wonder if there is a chance the car has been accident repaired and mismatched parts have been used (i.e. 4cyl parts on a 6cyl, facelift parts on a pre-facelift etc.?)

I once came across a pre facelift 2.8 that had been accident repaired and the shop had clearly fitted the wrong headlights as the sidelights in the bumper no longer came on but instead the bulbs in the headlight units as per a 4cyl model. It stands to reason that some places likely wouldn't always take due care when replacing other components as well. It could be the light, but there look to be small scratches on the very edge of the door towards the back of the car which could be indicative of panel removal/refitting without due care.

In fact it might just be the photo but the filler cap looks off center as well!
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

I think his description was very clear!
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

I would be tempted to drop a plumb line from the centre of each wheel onto a level surface and measure the wheelbase and if that is correct maybe the car has had a tap up the rear.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Image
The bumper hasn't been refitted properly and it looks like the petrol filler cap hasn't either.

I would completely strip the boot carpets out and check for rear end damage, and remove the plastic wheel arches to check underneath.

There are 3 different trailing arms (33321091151/2, 33321094761/2 and 33322227967/8), but they all look similar. If salvage parts have been used, the wrong ones may have been fitted.
Pingu
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I would be surprised if the different types of trailing arms were different lengths. Its possible accident damage is to blame. Worth getting an alignment check done and a good look at the subframe for signs of damage.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

pingu wrote: The bumper hasn't been refitted properly and it looks like the petrol filler cap hasn't either.
Petrol filler cap looks ok to me (it's just missing that rubber bump piece, that's why it closes too deep inside).
Craig-L

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Craig-L »

RE: Petrol cap, yeah there is no rubber stop so it does close in a little too much.

RE: Bodywork, is it possible that a previous owner has made it into a "wide body" after an accident? and if so are there any other differences in the in the rear wings apart from obviously the width of them ??

RE: Rear bumper, to me the bumper seems to be ok, the gap between the wing and bumper top seems to be constant and the curve on the bumper seems to follow the wheelarch curve on the wing.

RE: Trailing arms, does anybody know if there are differences in length of the 3 types of arms available ??

THANKS FOR ALL SUGGESTIONS SO FAR......
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Craig-L wrote:RE: Petrol cap, yeah there is no rubber stop so it does close in a little too much.
That explains why it doesn't look right :)
Craig-L wrote:RE: Bodywork, is it possible that a previous owner has made it into a "wide body" after an accident? and if so are there any other differences in the in the rear wings apart from obviously the width of them ??
I'm pretty sure the only difference is the track, not the wheelbase.
Craig-L wrote:RE: Rear bumper, to me the bumper seems to be ok, the gap between the wing and bumper top seems to be constant and the curve on the bumper seems to follow the wheelarch curve on the wing.
The bumper definitely looks like it's been disturbed to me. The gap along the top of the bumper should be consistent. It looks pinched near the wheel arch.
Craig-L wrote:RE: Trailing arms, does anybody know if there are differences in length of the 3 types of arms available ??
I don't know what the differences are, but they could be very slightly different lengths. As the trailing arm swings in an arc, the wheelbase changes. If a longer trailing arm has been fitted, it would need a shorter spring fitted so the running height of the car is correct (assuming the spring cups are the same distance from the pivot). This would mean that the car would look like your does.

I think the most likely culprit is a bodged damage repair.
Pingu