What is parts availability like for the Alpina cars?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

What is parts availability like for the Alpina cars?

Post by srichards »

I'm considering changing the Z for a 3 series Alpina convertible of the E46 era. I have no idea whether parts for these are harder or easier to get hold of?? Does anyone know?

If they're impossible to get bits for then it's not going to be a good idea. One I'm looking at seems to be a low owner reasonably well cared for one.
Phil

M roadster S54

Re: What is parts availability like for the Alpina cars?

Post by Phil »

Suggest you go to the Alpina forum

http://thealpinaregister.com/forums/index.php

Not only will you get the answers but will probably find out about the car you want to buy.

We have a D3 BT as well as the M Roadster and that forum is very similar to this one except for Alpinas.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I was looking at an Alpina Roadster S (Z4 based) a while back and the pre-purchase enquiries I made suggested parts are a lot harder to pinpoint and then obtain. For example, as far as I am aware, the exhausts and suspension are exclusive to Alpina. The Alpina exhausts are stainless steel. The engines (head/block/manifolds etc) are usually very different from a normal BMW equivalent but I am note sure about things like alternators and waterpumps which I reckon you could only investigate by comparing part numbers at the time of changing. I tried to put the registration into GSF and Euro Car parts sites to check things like shock absorbers and brake parts - and did not get a full range of information. Alpinas are lovely exclusive cars though and I would still consider the right one (3 series or otherwise) if it came along. :)
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

From what I have found out so far Sytner BMW have exclusive rights to Alpina so I'd think they're the ones to contact for Alpina specific bits. Everything else is normal BMW and the BMW vin on the car will tell you what exactly is on the car.

Lack of info from the reg in ECP is a bit frustrating though as it's my go to place to see what general prices for bits and bobs are like.
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Modern Alpinas have 2 vin numbers so using the BMW one will not, necessarily, tell you what is on the car.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

Phil wrote:Modern Alpinas have 2 vin numbers so using the BMW one will not, necessarily, tell you what is on the car.
Ah.